HB W. 12 (Prototype) - WnW Conversion

NpFkRu.jpg

This is the Wingnut Wings Hansa Brandenburg W.12 converted from the Early version back to the Prototype. She is shown as she would have been; after a lot of hard testing and on the day she was accepted by Idflieg. It was a cold February day on the shores of the Baltic and I have tried to capture that feeling.

To complete the conversion, the entire fuselage forward of the observer's cockpit was rebuilt, the empennage was scratch-built and the wings were completely reshaped. The basic radiator was borrowed from a DFW and it and all the piping were modified to fit the W.12. This was my second 1/32 build and was pretty intense, especially creating the forward fuselage. Frankly speaking, I wish I'd had a few more builds under my belt before I attempted this. 

FsXb6B.jpg

kKqYxw.jpg

XaUssT.jpg

I used the kit decals, but, going forward, I plan to start making masks and airbrushing the insignia. I believe this will give me a lot more latitude in my ability to create varying levels of opacity and wear and allow the markings to more closely match the condition of the fabric.

wf1fww.jpg

The new ailerons and empennage were made using wood carving gouges and files.

r7CrOP.jpg

ELkzMG.jpg

Creating the cart and base were really a blast. I wanted to impart a subtle sense of driftwood to the base and really cooled down its colors to balance with the warmth of the W.12's wood and fabric. The cart wheels and rail were stolen from the model RR world....those boys have a LOT to offer us!

Yepz7V.jpg    OP5hQv.jpg

PHLAcJ.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Textures, and temperatures - the polished wood is warm, the cotton neutral and the metal is cold. The driftwood drifts, the cobble cobbles and I wouldn't like to scrape anything along the concrete block. The rust and snow are just so. Brilliant.