Do335. Which one?

Monty Python

I've only purchased the HKM kit. Its a wonderful looking kit, and knowing how quality ZM kits are, and having built the ZM SPAD, Id say you probably couldn't go wrong with that kit either, but if you are like me (a closed panels guy) the HK kit might be the better option as it has significantly less interior parts to deal with. 

K1 and others have built Do335s, so can probably speak to buildability better than I. 

'Better' is the subjective thing....  What gives you the most satisfaction?  Building a kit with a lot of detail - whether or not anyone can see it, or less un-seen detail but what is seen is terrific?

I also have the HK 335 kit,  similar in scope to the 1/48 Tamiya 335 (no engines, but very detailed cockpit) so I'm looking forward to a fun build.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Smitty44

I bought the two seat ZM version. First because I promised the old man I would when I met him in Omaha(his love and enthusiasm for the hobby are unmatched), and as he explained through his staff worker and interpreter, two cockpits equal twice the fun!

You mean the Pres of ZM?  I've met him twice and one of our club members actually won the two seat ZM kit at Nationals at their raffle.  He's very nice, and appreciative of the hobby and those of us in the hobby (his customers).  At Nationals last year we ran into him and a bunch of his staff at a local restaurant for breakfast.  We didn't sit with them, but had a very pleasant discussion while we were all being seated.

They take great pride in their kits.

Super nice people.

Sorry for the diversion....

Guest Smitty44

You mean the Pres of ZM?  I've met him twice and one of our club members actually won the two seat ZM kit at Nationals at their raffle.  He's very nice, and appreciative of the hobby and those of us in the hobby (his customers).  At Nationals last year we ran into him and a bunch of his staff at a local restaurant for breakfast.  We didn't sit with them, but had a very pleasant discussion while we were all being seated.

They take great pride in their kits.

Super nice people.

Sorry for the diversion....

Yup he's the one.

Should have said in my original posting that I mean fit and ease of build. I do like ZM kits, but for me I think they are over engineered as I'm not all that bothered about everything being on show. That of course is my view. Saying that, if the ZM kit was the better of the 2 then I would go with that one.

Mr ZM is quite the passionate person re: models.

I can seriously dig it. I even dig how he likes to use a translator to talk to the crowd at shows.

The conversation with the "old man" at last year's NATs with Smitty about the Do335A-12s two engines and two cockpits was entertaining to the highest degree

Well, I have a soft spot for the HK kit, but have to confess that I've never built the ZM one (or any ZM kit, for that matter). I thought it went together very well, though I did have a couple of hiccups due to it being a test shot at the time. My build thread is in the link below:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50956

The ZM kit might have more detail, but the HK kit holds its own where it counts:

V5yDpw.jpg

uixR3j.jpg

Htq6yX.jpg

m6SHbj.jpg

Kev