New Releases

LSP_Ron

I agree to a point.

My point of view....if a kit has problems...or good points....I want to hear about both.  Simple as that.  Not sure if that qualifies as "kit bashing"....but I hope it doesn't.

No not at all Brian, this isn't about pointing out factual issues with kits, good or bad. Its about complaining about them, dragging the manufacture or in some cases distributer through the dirt because of them.

To quote our own rules of the road

LSP is not the place for the denigration of model kits or the people/companies who made them. We have no issues with members offering a critique of any model kit or product. If members make the effort to ensure their criticism is dispassionate and factual it is far less likely to create complaints. Criticism is a good thing but works best on LSP when it is intended to be constructive and helpful.  We are committed to growing a modeling community enthused and inspired by creative solutions.

I truly appreciate someone like Derek going after the Spitfire from Revell with a long list of "How To Fix It". I may not do all that the Tweak List says that I could do, but I appreciate the fact that if it looks really long and complicated, I can decide not to buy that kit and put my cash into another investment for my enjoyment. It is about fun, and how little pain I can have with a hobby in pursuit of that fun.

It is not fun to buy a kit in the blind and get surprised with a huge list of corrections or defective parts that won't go together or don't even look like the prototype machine. Please keep telling me the truth about the good, bad and ugly on a review.

No kit in 1/32 scale has given me a great looking and fully legible data plate, nor an instrument panel with all of the details matching the prototype. We don't have the technology to do that ultimate perfect reproduction of reality. Some people like their rivets on top, some like their rivets as just a hole in the plastic, but neither of them match the real thing 100%. I don't see panels on wings and fuselage that "oil can" nor do I see any rigging with a streamlined shape, much less anything but round.

Do I still buy the kit? If I like the plane, at some point it is a true joy just to get a reasonably decent shape. My glue and paint skills are a lot worse than the details above. Too bad, because they would be pretty nice to look at if I was a bit better at this. I would love to see those details and appreciate efforts in that realism direction, like the sagging fabric on the side of the WNW SE5a kit. Nice.

Tnarg

:BANGHEAD2:  As moderator, I really don't know how to make this any clearer, suggestions on wording folks? :blowup:

LSP is not the place for the denigration of model kits or the people/companies who made them. We have no issues with members offering a critique of any model kit or product. If members make the effort to ensure their criticism is dispassionate and factual it is far less likely to create complaints. Criticism is a good thing but works best on LSP when it is intended to be constructive and helpful.  We are committed to growing a modeling community enthused and inspired by creative solutions.

Well said Ron!

I think everyone appreciates the input of people with great knowledge on different aircraft types on the accuracy front.

The thing that I find pathetic is the weighing in by people who have no interest other than slagging off a kit or manufacturer.

Opinions are like you know what and really we are all big enough to make up our own..however we are all interested in facts and am always keen to hear from guys with far more knowledge on an aircraft than me.

As for one eyed posts about Trumpeter etc Ron has covered it perfectly.

I think folks want models to jump out of the box and assemble themselves these days as old fashioned modelling skills gradually decline.

As much as I hate some of the stuff that Trumpeter get wrong, I see it as more of a challenge to overcome rather than a problem to ***** about.

Eric.

What do you mean, "old fashioned modelling skills gradually decline."?

They are all bloody well gone!

Back in the old days if you wanted to make a model you got the plans somewhere and some blocks of wood, preferably balsa, and started carving.

If you were fortunate you had a knife, if not then one's teeth had to suffice.

Back in my day, however, we had to first cut down our own balsa wood tree and strip off its bark, then start carving.

That in itself was a problem since balsa trees are native to southern Brazil and Bolivia and up to southern Mexico.

But we real modelers did not mind, we were real men. We would mount a safari to the deepest, darkest parts of the rain forest to harvest some Balsa trees. 

Unfortunately, on the last safari we lost several members of the group. One got swallowed by a giant snake, one eaten by a tiger and the third was last seen entering a house of ill repute and has never been seen since. All that was left of him was his smile.

Another problem was finding accurate plans. When I started modeling, airplanes had not been invented yet. I had to wait around to 1903 for the Wright Brothers to get off the ground.

And you young whelps complain about injection molded styrene plastic kit accuracy.

In my day....

Yrs truly,

Stephen, the old geezer

I make the Trumpeter lightning as I'm a massive lightning fan just love the beast.

I've displayed at loads of show in the UK and I've never had anyone tell me how wrong it is. Usually I've had nothing but praise and this kit has been slated to death. Most people at shows are the general public anyhow who know sod all about the plane they are looking at never mind if it's 2mm too short. Let's stop going daft about how accurate a kit is and just build it,add aftermarket bits, scratch build an engine anything that makes your model better than the next guys. That's what I do.

Happy modelling guys

Dave

Here Here! And in keeping with Ron's theme, the next ultra negative kit slamming/flaming that were see on LSP will get the offending poster drawn and quartered, placed on "the rack", and boiled in hot oil!...

Let's put him in the comfy chair!

Re. Lightnings Dave - I don't think I've ever slated them - although it's probably my threads on these that are taken as the 'slatings' - and I agree that most people would be hard pushed to notice.

And I've had some very barbed comments aimed at me at shows where I've had parts on display. It seems that whatever side of some imaginary - and false - side of the fence you are perceived to sit - you'll cop some flack!!

But for *me* I want to be able to improve on what's there! I model for me and the Lightning is one of my favourite aeroplanes...

At no time have I ever been overly negative, or told others' what they should do with their models. I always aim to be constructive and illustrate any points I make.

Improving basic shapes is part of what makes this hobby fun - for *me*!  :)

Iain