Converting Hasegawa Bf-109G-4 to a Bf 109F-4 w/o Aires conversion

oyoy5

Correct me if I am wrong but would it be easier to convert the G-4 to and F-4 with some simple fixes.  The gun cowling is correct in the G-4 for the F version.  Cut off the 4 cooling scoops and putty in the hole and scribe a couple access hatches and open the landing gear area of the wings into the circular shape instead of the square.  Front canopy can be replaced from my extra box of Eduard and cyber hobby.  Am I way off base?      

It can be done but unless you have a compelling reason to do it I'd just get a Hasegawa F-4.  Don't forget the cockpit layout was slightly different in the F as well.  Your G-4 kit probably has later style main wheels and the larger tail wheel so they'd need to be replaced too.

Edited by Mikester

Can confirm that about the wheels- I had taken the resin ones out of my G4 kit to use with the F4 'Marseille' kit, and theres quite a difference- ended up putting them back and getting Aires ones- plus the spinner and props are correct and more accurate. Both great kits, but the F4 has the edge in my opinion- paticularly if you want to build any early-ish F.

Im guessing you already have the G4 in your stash though?

Only in terms of the prop and oil cooler.  Otherwise the F-4/Z was like other Fs.  

The oil cooler is precisely why I stressed that aspect as it is really a nasty part to convert oneself. I know I got a F one somewhere but this was not from one of the usual suspects (possibly Vector). Finding thinner propeller blades is not necessarily easy either...

T.

• 2 weeks later...