DONE AT LAST! 1:48 Mauve P-40N "Lope's Hope"

KUROK

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 11:59 PM, KUROK said:

Long time, no see!

Well my wife was on my butt to get the basement finished and boy was that a long drawn out process.

I will say it's nice to have a better basement and a nicer area to work.  Someday I will sheetrock the hobby room but the rest of the basement is done!

I was recently quite overjoyed to "re-discover" my long forgotten DeWalt drywall screw gun, hiding at my brothers place.

EF3LsL.jpg

Looks like you're really going to town on this kit, and it's certainly looking the business.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...there is model show less than two month away.  I need to put a fire under my ass and get this finished.

This is an example of my AMS affliction.  I fabricated my own DF (direction finder) loop out of 0.4mm art wire from the craft store.

I wrapped it around a paint brush handle and burnished with a wooden tool to get it nice and round.

The DF loop supplied in the Mauve kit was surprisingly accurate in diameter but was thick.

Trying to superglue the shaft part on was hard as my eyes are not as good as they used to be... this means I really do need to go LSP!

32926962008_782241a59c_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

46765066552_b9565e4a1b_z.jpg

46922029172_90cd8ea7c9_c.jpgO

Note:  Meant to say that I have since sanded and polished the rear canopy.  This photo was taken before I superglued it.

The Mauve plastic is quite hard so sealing gaps and doing a sand/polish has been pleasing (just took a lot of patience and time)

Edited by KUROK

• 2 weeks later...

OK, gents, soon...it will be soon... I promise

These photoetched canopy rails nearly drove me to drink.

I had to add some styrene strip to get them to not sit too proud of the fuselage side.

Fortunately, what I had on hand was a great fit!

47068655301_1fa2f5ffba_c.jpg

47068655291_9cac3609a4_c.jpg

The results:  (just need to weather and scratch up paint)

46174700595_7d455fcaf9_c.jpg

I don't trust my ability to freehand airbrush the medium green "dapples".  Creating masks of my own.

Here they are stored on wax paper until needed.

46313793054_1522e53a21_c.jpg

Accurized upper and lower intakes.  Ready to primer.

46109762885_398dd5a6e5_c.jpg

I do like this kit for many reasons but my AMS and OCD has made it a drag of time.

I think I will do a shake 'n bake Tamiya kit or any other modern kit that does not need so much rework...

Edited by KUROK

Another reason why this thing drags on...
Mauve had inadequate cooling gills.  So I used theirs to make a perch for some new ones I made myself.
They are not too hard...just need a razor blade and a ruler.  The harder part was to curl them... just a little.
Also, note the Master brass machine guns are now permanent.  They too were fiddly here at the end.
One thing is that using them allowed me to sand the leading edge of the wing to my satisfaction of smoothness.

I'm sure all of  you know the pain of trying to clean up a seam right around the guns.

47139467352_41e0e5da80_c.jpg

Here is the sliding hood I made with scrap plastic and a candle.  Actually I made a spare one too.
The Eduard masks are in place and are a time saver but take several tries to fit right...

46277112535_a3d3022abc_c.jpg

Here is my spare sliding canopy and I'm sacrificing it to mask the cockpit.  It actually fits like the real thing against the Griffon metal canopy rails!  It's a bit satisfying as I nearly went blind and crazy installing those f%$#g things.

47200736341_5745467f25_c.jpg

PRIMER!!!
I told myself that if I didn't get the primer on this weekend that there is no way it will be done on time.

You get a look at my messy workbench.  It's like I work in a 6 inch space!
There is still a lot of painting and such to go...
This is Tamiya Fine Surface Primer White sprayed with my airbrush.
It is really stinky to use; but is such a nice, tough product.  As it finishes curing, it should "snuggle" down and reveal my rivets I spent so much time doing (I hope)...

46478845384_9ff3ca61ce_c.jpg

Edited by KUROK

Boy do I get tired of masking...

46328969125_a4870f1c99_c.jpg

I had a 35 year old bottle of Model Master Medium Green but did not trust it.
I used Vallejo US Dark Green instead thus staying acrylic.
The strange thing is it seems to match my old medium green so I wonder about Vallejo just a little..

Check it out:

40278572923_00b49b3e9a_c.jpg