56 squadron Spitfire IX LF

Your Merlin looks fabulous Max and I don't blame you at all for choosing to adorn the cockpit with Roy's resin detail bits. Barracuda studios stuff is lovely and will make the office look even better.

I'm looking forward to seeing paint on the motor.

Cheers.

Managed to get some time to start painting the engine having first put down a few random areas of silver enamel  which when dry were coated with hairspray.  When this was well dried I sprayed the whole engine with a base coat of Mr Paint's "Exhaust Metal" which was then top coated with Mr P's "Gunmetal", this top coat being applied lightly to allow some of the base coat to show through. This was followed by Mr P's "NATO black" applied in the same manner as the Gunmetal, trying to get tonal variation in a predominately black lump!

Then I started randomly chipping - this exposed some pretty bright silver so when finished I sprayed the whole engine with a very thinned mixture of mid-brown/black to bring the whole thin together then applied some subtle highlights to some of the cables and wires. Finally :) ........I stippled some brown soft pastel dust in places.

DSCN9761_zpsevv8xq7r.jpg

DSCN9759_zpsicohrsk4.jpg

DSCN9758_zpszitguusb.jpg

DSCN9767_zpsdlwoibzp.jpg

DSCN9766_zpswwv4jv3x.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

I'm, in full agreement with Shaka and Andy Max, that is some splendid work on the Merlin. Most inspirational.

I've taken a similar route with the enamel undercoat though I chose Humbrol aluminium metalcote. It is a challenge to give a largely black lump any kind of visual interest but you've managed that with aplomb.Great job, well done.

Cheers.

Thanks Maru, it's all going to plan.......so far!! :)

Temporarily bringing the firewall/bearers assembly and engine together....I need to do a bit more cabling but I wanted to see just how much of it will be visible to make it worthwhile:

DSCN9772_zpszmtmsacx.jpg

DSCN9775_zpsflnrtbrc.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

Engine and bearers finished (nearly), it's been a while but great fun and very satisfying. The wiring is as accurate as I can make it from looking at various references, though some is blatantly (and unashamedly!) total fiction....:)  The one piece that eagle-eyed folks may have noticed missing is the oil pump which sits behind the supercharger on the starboard side - there's no way that is going to fit attached to the bearers, linked to various pipes and not fouling the engine.....but I 'ave a cunning plan!!

DSCN9779_zpsbroapqko.jpg

DSCN9777_zpsmvakybzu.jpg

DSCN9780_zpsvnwfdmn5.jpg

Max