2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

But of course... that was the easy stuff... back to the forward side... being that we are trying for 3-D with 2-D ref... it was a LOT of trial and error... Paper templates, eyeballing pics and sheer guesswork... The dark photo copy is the side view and my paper template below it trying to get the shape to fold in 3 diamentions

GqBvmud.jpg

Getting the rear part was not fun but they went on pretty good... I used slightly thicker plastic here, just sanded it down after so I didn't have the same issues with glue.

Zg3vPGv.jpg

With the lines drawn and a 3-D shape...how to get around it ?.. cut thin strips and glue them on, they take on the 3rd curve..

QkwqgDe.jpg

Using the thicker plastic means the strips melt a bit, conforming to the curve, the plastic melts a bit filling the seams... and when you sand it down you round of the edges....

dsY7do8.jpg

Did I know this ?... no... I figured it out as I went along. If I'd have been better set up, I would have cast & molded the head, then vacu formed plastic over it, cut out the shaped area's needed and glued them on.... as my options are limited, I had to figure out some way to do it and this is what I came up with.

Both side plates on, got the curves and shapes as close as I could...

gG3oXoA.jpg

The plate shape that goes in the middle was cut out of .020 and marked every 1/16 in... these bits were cut off and bent around a small file... you can just see one edge on...

7tBo414.jpg

Again... strips to pick up the sharp curve...melted plastic bubbles up and fills the seam..

XoJ3mGm.jpg

A couple of strips to frame the area and sanded down to thickness

g78Gn1h.jpg

And there you have one finished season 1-3 raider head and face... A huge dif from the one in the kit !

t7HyCoH.jpg

So kids... that's it for this week. Tune in next time as we get into making a base for the kit and start thinking about playing with electricity !! :evil_laugh:

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Hey all, some awesome builds going on... make one humble it does ! Anyhoo... we are gonna be all about the base this time. I had a TON of fun with this.. after working so hard to get exact lines, shapes and such, It was a blast to let my hair down (what there is of it) and just scratch build something... So off we go !!

One of my friends posted this neat shot of the new/ original series Moebius Raider...

lfYg0qo.jpg

The chap did an amazing job of both trhe model and the base... but I felt the base was too big.. the model sort of fades into it being they are much the same color... but it gave me idea's... and you know that can only lead to trouble ! :evil_laugh:

My thought was a section of the spine/ back of a Colonial ship around the dome with the Colonial symbol ..

QaS290d.jpg

not specifically a Battlestar, but a section that showed enough to let you recognize it was a Colonial ship.

So, off to the hobby shop, got some square strip and a couple of plugs & sockets for the electronics  and off we go !!

og7HZdc.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

First thing was to do a few sketches and get a general size... then build a box.....6  X  6  X  1 in. box from .060...

nTFVLmv.jpg

Next I cut 5 hull shapes in decreasing size and glued them on..

RW8IZwa.jpg

Then using sheet and planking plated everything...

UzZJpjp.jpg

I was modifying my plans on the fly... decided to make the hull meet the base or at least close to it so added a bit more sheet... wasn't concerned about the mismatch as this was going to get covered up... strips for the ribs going on.. you can see in the lower RH corner of the pic the rough gauge I made to help with spacing the ribs..

Y73yrEc.jpg

And boom !... this went together so fast... having fun and things just falling into place..

lflsuhx.jpg

Top sheet going on... not concerned about the end edges as I had a plan... Like the Cylons... :fight:

EbUg6hf.jpg

And finally scribing plating... no plan, just started and made it look busy...

m56yKmU.jpg

The plan ?.... Total destruction !!.... this ship got blown up and torn apart... the rear section twisted up and to the side, the forward section down and rotated to stbd ..just ripped apart by fire, explosions and violent twisting forces...and how do we simulate that ?.. a candle and some hand tools to push, pull and twist hot plastic !... and this is just the start of destroying the ship...

E9PsXCv.jpg

With the destruction begun, it was back to actually building and adding detail... (an odd feeling to build and destroy at the same time... I highly recommend it !!!).. added bits 'n bobs between the ribs...

0MIv8nz.jpg

But that big area on the spine needed detail... the dome specifically... so out with the circle cutter...extra bits were cut and glued on to build up thickness..

vqHfT73.jpg

Just a bit under half was cut off and glued on top and then a smaller disc was cut to give a total of 1/4 in thickness and sanding began...

CiHCm7x.jpg

And with a ton of elbow grease, some cussin and grumbling when I jabbed myself with files, we have a section of the dome...

MNOQ4Cq.jpg

But.... I'm so smart... NOT !!... part of the area the part has to go is heat damaged and twisted... :doh: ....

u9p49fa.jpg

What to do, what to do ??!!.. :frantic: ..... nothing for it but to get out the candle... heat the part and jam it on.... so, with bated breath I went for it... and it worked !!

rTxq4jR.jpg

A huge sigh of relief... and back to adding detail...The rear section would be where the landing bay arm retracts so would be detailed but smoother... and as the rear section ripped up and to port, this section would be basically untouched, with signs of terrible damage beginning the more inboard you go.....

Cc01PVV.jpg

The forward section, adding scrap to simulate decks, heat again used to buckle and twist...

cHFk6JG.jpg

Looking at it from the side it looks not too bad...

Hneclar.jpg

But as you rotate it you begin to see this ship was violently destroyed...

5ees8Vv.jpg

That's it for this time... but construction and destruction continues next time !! :evil_laugh: ... we are not done yet !!

Cheers

Vaughn

What I like is that this is all too believable, Kev.

It no doubt helps that Vaughn is an evil genius ;)

In my opinion great modelling comes from the application of great thinking to good basic skills honed from countless hours of practice and then carried out with almost super human persistence.

Vaughn, you keep up the good fight!

Dan

He's usin' those big words again..... :unsure: .... and he's figured out we are evil... :wacko: .... :frantic:

Thanks Dan !!

Vaughn

So.... off we go playing with electricity !! Now I'm no great shucks with it... indeed I almost flunked out in my aviation training because I couldn't get this stuff figured out.... but sense then I've had success wiring up a few models (blowing LEDS every now and then still) so I had an idea of how I wanted this to go. My thought was to make the model, base and stand so they disconnected into 3 parts for storage and travel... and this is what I came up with.

I got basic electrical plugs and sockets as used for speaker systems. First step was to position the socket on the base. A hole was cut and a .060 doubler glued onto the bottom of the base for strength.

Lfx7fFY.jpg

I had a 4 battery box but that would have given me 6 volts, ... in speaking with Stan about his lighting unit (he's more than helpful with answers to any questions I had) he advised no more than 4.5 volts max.. so I simply ran a wire in the last chamber to complete the circuit ...

2SxVeAb.jpg

Confirmed we had a good connection....

nnq15Qy.jpg

And built a battery box...

iA99arS.jpg

Test fitting..

er97C70.jpg