Any news on the Revell super hornet?

ClumsyDude

I see Super Hornets flying around here from time to time (test flights, I suppose), and they are wondrously loud and impressive aircraft. I'll eventually snatch one of these new Revell kits, no question about it.

I used to drive from Southern Illinois over to KSTL to watch the Hornets and Eagles all the time, when the 29th Aero Squadron restaurant was there, and the Missouri Air Guard flew the F-15s. I miss that stuff!

I'm HOPING the delay means they are doing final corrections/adjustments which if so, I could wait longer. Maybe someone got onboard with knowledge and pointed some things out... :hmmm:

I already threw my dice as I just sold my Trump. E kit.

Thanks for posting the parts shots, I do like that Revell separates flight controls these days.

It seems they are getting there, which surely has to have the competition taking notice.

Hoping it is just lens angle of second parts pic, but the rear bottom of Fuselage (Engines) appears a bit flat.

Not yet for ne. Revell has disappointed greatly with this subject in 2 out of the 3 major scales thus far. Still have hope that they didn't "shape wise" scale up the 48th scale kit. The parts breakdown looks nice; at least what's been shown here.

I used to drive from Southern Illinois over to KSTL to watch the Hornets and Eagles all the time, when the 29th Aero Squadron restaurant was there, and the Missouri Air Guard flew the F-15s. I miss that stuff!

You mean the 94th? Either way, sadly the 94th and MOANG Eagles are both long gone now.

The sprues have been shown at any number of shows, and there are gobs of photos of them posted online, so I wouldn't think it's still a big mystery.

Photos of parts and odd angles of the build ups are not really a good gauge for shape accuracy. Parts in hand is another story

I have had a closer look at an assembled prototype at the Revell booth during Nuremberg Toy Fair. I am hugely disappointed to say the least. The spine is totally incorrect in shape behind the canopy (way too flat and square) which causes the canopy frame to be incorrect as well, the nozzles look very strange and the space between them is too big. Surface detail did not look very crisp, front wheels look really bad, the diamond shaped grilles in front of the nozzles are WAY too big and the radome looks strange as well (it was undershot, but that's no the problem). LEX have shape issues seen from top and their profile looks very strange where they meet the slats. It doesn't look that bad on the pics, but I was really shocked when I saw the model in person - I spent around 15 minutes at the Revell booth looking at the model. A missed opportunity in my opinion - I am not going to sell my Trumpeter kits. They may be a b*tch to assemble but the overall shape looks better than the Revell kit...

img_3841c0sls.jpg

img_3842c3sun.jpg

img_3843nbslp.jpg

img_3844yesy0.jpg

img_38456ss8m.jpg

img_3846cxs8j.jpg

img_3847ylsbw.jpg

img_3848dosu8.jpg

Sorry for the stupid water marks, but some sneaky guy stole the images from my Facebook page to use them on his blog without my permission...

Edited by Starfighter

I have had a closer look at an assembled prototype at the Revell booth during Nuremberg Toy Fair. I am hugely disappointed to say the least. The spine is totally incorrect in shape behind the canopy (way too flat and square) which causes the canopy frame to be incorrect as well, the nozzles look very strange and the space between them is too big. Surface detail did not look very crisp, front wheels look really bad, the diamond shaped grilles in front of the nozzles are WAY too big and the radome looks strange as well (it was undershot, but that's no the problem). LEX have shape issues seen from top and their profile looks very strange where they meet the slats. It doesn't look that bad on the pics, but I was really shocked when I saw the model in person - I spent around 15 minutes at the Revell booth looking at the model. A missed opportunity in my opinion - I am not going to sell my Trumpeter kits. They may be a b*tch to assemble but the overall shape looks better than the Revell kit...

I have no idea how much truth there is to it, but I've heard the most recent delay was to address some of the above issues. To be quite honest, and this is just my personal opinion, I really don't care if they fix them or not. I'm at a point in my life where shape issues on a plastic model airplane just don't bother me any longer. While a bit annoying, they aren't as big an issue with me as they used to be. The kit is going to retail for half the cost of the Trumpeter kit and will provide better details out of the box.

Do I hope they address the problems for those that are still very passionate about shape accuracy? Of course I do. 

Will we be getting a single seater AND a two seater Hornet?

Cheers

Alan

Yes. The test shot trees shown at the last IPMS/USA National Convention had parts for the E, F and G on them. It became obvious Revell would release all three versions. When they actually release them is another matter! :)

I just hope it's not based off/ scaled up from their grossly inaccurate 48th Super Hornet.

Nope, there are actually shape issues with the 32nd kit that don't exist on the 48th kit! :D Like I said above though, I just don't care as much as I used to. However, I must admit the one area that does bug me is the too sharp of curve at the aft end of the canopy frame/forward fuselage spine. If what I was told is true, Revell is re-working some of these areas of the kit. We'll see when the kit is released.

I have some concerns about the lerx and the wing airfoil, look at the junction between them and you'll see a strange line/step while the original has a smooth transition

Compare the first second of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=oppisAcfV0k

and any image like this

Thanks for pointing these areas out. The LERX is one of the common concerns I've heard on this kit. It's kind of hard to make out the wing airfoil- wing root issue you at calling out, but once in hand I will be sure to look over this area.

Sorry for the stupid water marks, but some sneaky guy stole the images from my Facebook page to use them on his blog without my permission...

Right on, thanks for your observations on Revell's upcoming 32nd Super Hornet and also posting the photos. I always appreciate those initial critical notes on a new kit as it helps establish a baseline. Again, still need to have one in hand, but every bit of good input helps.

Yes, the canopy frame and spine cornering issue is quite significant. Yes, the spine does look off and the nozzle are strange looking, though it looks like they make the nozzles in the Primary mode, full open. The nozzles look generic and most likely will need a decent replacement anyways; like just about all SH Hornet kits. Yes, the nose wheel looks bad and I wonder how accurate dimensional all the wheels are. I'd like to bump them to my SH wheel/tire dimensional data. Hard to tell on the LEX, though one of my main concerns was the “arc†angle of the aft fuselage sides where it rounds to the Exhaust. In both Revell's 48th and 72nd scale kits, this area was severely hosed.

Trumpy's kit is basically the Hasegawa 48th scale kit scaled up. Trumpy scaled up Hasegawa's kit but didn't enhance the detail, as it's quite plain and of course as you mentioned, not an easy build. Though not without its problems, the 48th Hasegawa SH was a hell of a lot more accurate than Revell's.

Nope, there are actually shape issues with the 32nd kit that don't exist on the 48th kit! :D Like I said above though, I just don't care as much as I used to. However, I must admit the one area that does bug me is the too sharp of curve at the aft end of the canopy frame/forward fuselage spine. If what I was told is true, Revell is re-working some of these areas of the kit. We'll see when the kit is released.

That's reassuring as the Revell 48th SH was quite the disappointment. Other than the weird looking radome of the 32nd SH build up shots posted here, the canopy and spine cornering does stand out significantly. While I am concerned about shape accuracy, if they blow it some areas I won't loose any sleep over it. Revell's upcoming Super Hornet is like any "consumer product" subject to review and criticism. The consumer/modeler will make up his own decision on whether to not only buy the kit, and if one does, gauge if any inaccuracies are worth addressing. My preference in this hobby as it has always been is I want to know what's wrong with a kit accuracy wise so I can address those issues as I see fit or use that info to opt for another kit of the same subject if available.

It seems that the retail going to be around $75 (preorders I have seen), which would be a good deal for a kit this large and also considering the Trumpy kit goes for  $150 on average.

Thanks Dave