Thanks Peter, agreed!

For those of you who aren't already connected to it, check out the "WingNut Wings Fans" group on Facebook. There are some great builds on there that I've not seen on other bulletin boards! two guys have made beautiful progress on their Felixstowe interiors in the last day and shared pictures also.  

Hi Bill, Have you tried RB Models wood grain etch sheets they work superbly well and it's an easy way to get superd wood grain. This is a simple method that gives super results just by changing your base colours you can replicate different woods.

regards Steve.

RB as in "Radu Brinzan"? His stuff is usually so freaking good, it's scary.

Looks like this build set will eventually be expanding, I've gone and ordered Roden kits (eek!) for the Fokker D.VI and Siemend Schuckert III along with Brengun photo etch and loon resin correction. Doesn't look like there's any aftermarket for the d6.

Does anyone know how accurate it would be to say the a fok d.vi was essentially a d.vii with a rotary engine? It may be that the plane is closer to a biplane Dr.1, I'm just trying to figure out if I can cannibalize Wingnut fokkers for better detailed parts while maintaining accuracy.

What's your favourite scheme for a Siemens III?

I'm looking forward to getting back to building, this week has mostly been spent, as will next week, studying for a major industry cert exam next Friday!

Without referring to the Dafiles for the three aircraft I seem to remember that the fuselage is similar to a Dr.I, but longer, and the wing is similar to the D.VII, but with a smaller wingspan.  I don't think cross-fitting WNW parts is going to be possible.  The Roden SSW D.III suffers from fit problems at the lower wing to fuselage juncture which can be resolved by slow and careful trimming of the fuselage cut out.  I highly recommend the Pheon decal set for this aircraft which has a wide selection of both early and late schemes (Roll Models has a conversion kit for the early version.)  In addition, the Pheon instruction booklet has some valuable hints regarding the assembly of the kit. The Dr.I's horizontal tailplane is questionable and is best replaced with a scratch one using the Albatros Dr.I special drawings for correct size and shape.  Please do not order any more Roden 1/32 kits as I am getting ready to dispose of my stash of Roden kits in favor of waiting for WNW to produce the same models (or my untimely demise, which ever comes first.)  I will make you (and any other LSP member) an offer you cannot refuse.  PM here if interested.

Not really a progress update on building as the only thing I've been able to do this week was to paint the 8 struts for the Gotha which attach the nacelles to the top wing. What I'm more excited about is that my laminated prop mask and wood grain PE masks arrived from Radu Brinzan today. I cannot wait to try these things out!!! The wood grain etch sheets look superb and I've already seen some killer reviews of the prop mask.  All items mentioned are in the pic below. I will share some photos once I get to try them out but I probably won't be able to do any more modelling until the weekend.

Cheers for now!

Mike

14.jpg

Exam is done and building can start again, wahoo! 

I was able to preshade all the nacelle panels on the Gotha and get them all painted up in Misterkit LVG Dark Violet along with the center lower wing. Looks a bit strange to me right now as purples aren't exactly my go-to colors, but it's definitely progress that I'm satisfied with.  The radiators were painted with Alclad polished brass and then given a heavy wash of AK track wash which was mostly removed by rolling a q-tip over the faces. The result looks quite dirty and quite splotchy, exactly the look I was hoping to achieve.

Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to paint the outer lower wings so they can all be mated together. Can't wait!

15.jpg

Holy cow Mike, I knew you were doing the Gotha and heard rumblings of the Felix, but I did not know you are also doing an Albi and Pfalz too!!? Sir Peter should send you a personal note of thanks lol.

Great work too. I'll be interested in watching the Gotha progress as I have it waiting in the stash.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike,

With the AEG coming out in just a few weeks, I'm trying to get as much of the big gal finished as possible, so that I have room on my workbench to start Gotha's little brother immediately.  Fingers crossed for the shark mouth scheme!  :innocent: