1/32nd scale HK B-17G - (very) nearly there...

tomprobert

I can't wait to see this! Having no previous experience with models in NMF, I've been hoping for an OD/Grey build.

2 questions, though; what's a good website to find those Douglas built B-17s, and who might carry decals for them?

Thanks,

I can't wait to see this! Having no previous experience with models in NMF, I've been hoping for an OD/Grey build.

2 questions, though; what's a good website to find those Douglas built B-17s, and who might carry decals for them?

Thanks,

I agree about NMF, I've never been completely happy with my finishes, hence I've gone for a camo B-17.

I've not seen a specific picture of the Douglas built B-17s Tim mentions, nor do I know of a website. It's just a case of pot luck if you can find a picture, and if you can, build it (and share it with us of course!)

Regarding decals - I'm not aware of any for a camo Fort from the HK kit yet, so I'll be doing my own for this build. Thankfully, 'Skipper' is fairly simple to do, with only the name and numerous bomb symbols.

Tom

good start tom!  You should have fun with this kit. Are you going to attempt any of the corrections as alluded to in the corrections / build thread elsewhere on the site?

For some inspiration for camo/markings I can recommend 'The Mighty Eighth In Colour' by Freeman and also the two Osprey Volumes

good start tom!  You should have fun with this kit. Are you going to attempt any of the corrections as alluded to in the corrections / build thread elsewhere on the site?

For some inspiration for camo/markings I can recommend 'The Mighty Eighth In Colour' by Freeman and also the two Osprey Volumes

Hi Rich,

I'm going to build this as it comes - warts and all (although to my eye this makes into a perfectly respectable B-17)  :)

I'm really enjoying building an out of the box model, because as you well know it's very easy to get bogged down with a project and it'll be nice to finish something without too many headaches (Tigger's Halifax and B-29 spring to mind!)

I have the "Mighty Eighth in Colour" - in fact it's where I fist spotted 'Skipper' - it's a great book for projects such as these.

This won't come close to your effort, but I'll give it my best shot... 

Tom

Hi Rich,

I'm going to build this as it comes - warts and all (although to my eye this makes into a perfectly respectable B-17)  :)

I'm really enjoying building an out of the box model, because as you well know it's very easy to get bogged down with a project and it'll be nice to finish something without too many headaches (Tigger's Halifax and B-29 spring to mind!)

That's the main reason I'm going out of the box with this one as well.  This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby for me and with my AMS, it would never get finished.

I agree about NMF, I've never been completely happy with my finishes, hence I've gone for a camo B-17.

I've not seen a specific picture of the Douglas built B-17s Tim mentions, nor do I know of a website. It's just a case of pot luck if you can find a picture, and if you can, build it (and share it with us of course!)

Regarding decals - I'm not aware of any for a camo Fort from the HK kit yet, so I'll be doing my own for this build. Thankfully, 'Skipper' is fairly simple to do, with only the name and numerous bomb symbols.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. I haven't decided quite what I plan to do yet, so I figured the more research, the better. Besides, the research is often just as much fun! I plan to practice my NMF techniques using Alclad and a 1/48th scale "test aircraft", since I do find the Milk Wagon nose art so unique, but in the event that doesn't work, I'll go for OD/Grey. Of course I plan to research as much as I can, so any info is good.

Edited by lawman56

The last couple of sessions have been spent working on the flightdeck area.

The whole cockpit area on the B-17 was painted Dull Dark Green (not US Interior Green as all my research points to this colour not being used on the B-17.) The only modification I did here was to re-create the canvass covering on the rear of the instrument panel from Milliput - in this picture it just needs painting. All that is needed here is some careful brush work and the HK parts really come to life:

S1030165.jpg

There are 12 low-pressure oxygen bottles to be constructed which were all dotted around the flightdeck and underfloor area. Here they are in 'mass production':

S1030169.jpg

Here are all of the main cockpit components assembled, painted and weathered. Being a high-time aircraft I figured there'd be plenty of worn paint so I added some paint chips with a sponge and Xtracolour Aluminium. Although the main floors on the B-17 were plywood (both to save weight and precious alloy) I cannot imagine the floors were left in bare wood - surely they would become slippery if moisture was present and froze at high altitude, not to mention spilt hydraulic fluids and oils? Therefore, I've painted them Dark Dull Green and represented the rubber anti-slip matting using fine grade black sandpaper:

S1030182.jpg

All of these parts are out of the box, and I think the level of detail is excellent - no aftermarket needed here!

Here follows some general shots of the flightdeck dry fitted together:

S1030186.jpg

S1030180.jpg

S1030178.jpg

S1030170.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome so far, and look forward to tackling the bomb-bay next. So far, the work pictured above has taken approximately 12 hours, so the kit is working out at just over £20 per hour thus far - and there's still plenty to do smile.png

Tom

Guest Nigelr32

Looking good Tom, your paintwork is really nice!! Do you plan to add any belts?

In your opinion, did every B-17 have the Bronze Green Cockpit? I know some had unpainted front interiors but cannot find definitive evidence that the cockpits were left unpainted?

Edited by Nigelr32