Photo

Armored trains are alive and healthy, again.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

This is not an aviation subject, I know, but if once  in a while I see guys showing automobiles on this forum, this might be allowed.

http://www.aberfoyle...ity.com/?p=3873

I do like armoured trains. I have for many years.

These days there are numerous kits available for both armoured trains and railroad guns.

There many available in G scale or G gauge. They come from the static model companies. like Trumpeter.

However, not only are they non-running but they are 1/35 scale, which is a bit smaller than 1/32 or #1 scale..In any event you will have to figure out how to make or modify trucks so it will run on G gauge tracks

Combat Models (combatmodels.us/) has the U.S. Naval 14" railroad gun that were used in W.W.1 to good effect. It is a vacuform model in 1/32 scale. It is not listed but he has the parts and can whip up a kit for you upon request. 

I buy most of my military RR kits in 1/35 off of eBay. Search for Armored trains, railroad guns, 

You will find a number in HO gauge and more in roughly OO gauge. Since I limit my RR modeling to a minimum of 1/35 scale and go up from there these smaller trains do not interest me; but some of you may like them.

On the other hand, There are kits in 1/25 scale. But these are paper card models. This is really a form of scratch building for if you want a more permanent model you can use these kits simply as patterns. You can then cut the parts out of wood, metal or plastic sheet. But they are very accurate. 

An excellent dealer in paper card models is   http://papermodelstore.com

Books, there are a number of good books on railroad guns and armored trains. Search on eBay under those headings,and a number will appear for sale. 

Remember the movie, Dr. Zhivago? There were scenes in a Russian Armored train in the movie. Aside from the good music and the train, the rest of the movie was kind of mushy, The good doctor sleeping with his girl friend who looked like she was eternally sucking on a rancid pickle. I like his faithful wife better. 

The fun thing about armored trains is that one can really invent his own armored train. Many were created ad hoc in rail yards by railroad mechanics. It is a fascinating history.

Enjoy,

Stephen

in re aviation. I am working on a catapult mounted onto a railroad flatcar. The only problem is trying to figure out how to fold the airplanes wings so it all fits within the narrow clearances of a railroad line. These were used in the Vulgarian armed forces (located in the Balkans part of Europe) and also a cruder version was used by the Hawgwaller & Western Railroad (located in Appalachia, USA).

I like my models to move and although I may not make these 1/32 a/c flyable I will make all the trains run.  :punk:

• Martinnfb, harvey, Bill Cross and 2 others like this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#2 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

The Vulgarians would surely have used Fairey Gannets?

Pretty vulgar looking, and with double folded wings that would allow it to be fitted onto tiny British carrier's.

• LSP_Typhoonattack and BiggTim like this

#3 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

I actually like armored trains quite a lot, and have several books on them. The one book that has eluded me though (because of the crazy price), is this particular Schiffer volume. From what I've heard, it's quite an excellent book.

• MARU5137 and BiggTim like this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#4 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

I actually like armored trains quite a lot, and have several books on them. The one book that has eluded me though (because of the crazy price), is this particular Schiffer volume. From what I've heard, it's quite an excellent book.

Yes, I like it too. I bought one at a low price of about $60. Lets face it.,Book prices are rising like crazy. I wanted that book so I bought it. Now I have to buy another because or the fire in my personal library 21 months ago. Oh well, easy come, easy go. 

My favorite source of books is   bookfinder.com. Try them some time. Well worth the search.

Stephen

• LSP_Typhoonattack, MARU5137 and BiggTim like this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#5 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

I can see $60 or so, but there's no way I'll be dumping $100 for a copy. I have a couple of the other Schiffer armored trains books, and they are pretty cool, but nowhere near worth a $100.

Kevin

In Progress:

#6 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:30 AM

Guys if you are into armored trains,you need the book written by Paul Malmassari. This Bible simply covers all eras and all countries, nothing less! It has been recently re-edited. And do not believe that the contents are not detailed because of the huge scope. They are! Last but not least, as the guy is also a good draughtsman, the book has many scale drawings. At least this is what is in my original edition.

Hth

Thierry
  • BiggTim likes this

#7 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Strange spelling of encyclopedia though, Thierry.

Kevin

In Progress:

#8 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,287 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

While I was in India earlier this year ,sitting out side the front door I watched many trains hurtle by....BUT the best I Dian trains I saw were the GREEN painted INDIAN ARMY TRAIN.

Specifically for the INDIAN ARMY... One could see soldiers sitting in compartments , some holding their duty rifles in front if them on the table ... This train starts iff in Ahmedabad and travels to Pune ...

As it slows down past Our property, one is able to see the huge guns mounted outside and soldiers "guarding " the train as they patrolled up and down.

Way towards the front were tanks and other artillery .I was not quick ENOUGH TO TAKE A PHOTO :doh:

I took one from a rickshaw but the military train was stopped about 100 meters from the barrier and could see camouflage tanks.

You don't see that in Britain, but I am sure someone will put ME straight.

I LOVE trains..military decorated or otherwise!

Good thread Steven,thank you.

:punk:

Edited by MARU5137, 25 September 2017 - 07:11 AM.

• LSP_Typhoonattack and BiggTim like this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#9 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:08 AM

I like trains but I hate coaches. I prefer riding in a roomette, which is a tiny room that can hold two people. Best when only I am in the compartment. 

During the day the table and chairs fold down and I can sit there and do some work or just watch the scenery go by. At night the porter folds up the chair and table and lets down the bed. Nothing lulls me to sleep better than lying there watching the lights outside flash by and listen to the sound of the train. 

Well, I also often fall asleep right away when lying on the deck of a sailing boat in the 30 foot long or more class in mild weather. Being at the helm when in a storm is really exciting, though. No sleep there.

Unfortunately, flying in an airliner is like travelling in a bus. Phooey. But it is fast. Next month I will have to fly to Chicago for the 5th time in as many months. I switched to United Airlines because of the bumping incident last spring. I'd love for them to bump me and give me $800 for taking a later plane. Yep. I can do that.  I am still waiting for it to happen. Let them lose my luggage; its only underwear and old pants and shirts. 

Stephen

• BiggTim likes this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#10 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

More armoured trains:

My mirnye lyudi
No nash bronepoezd
Stoit na zapasnom puti

We are peaceful people
But our armored train
Still stands on the reserve track.

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users