F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

The good news:

- I lied. There isnt any of that.

The bad news:

- I have to admit, that the physical nature of HpH kits, even for as much passion as I have for the T-Cat, takes its toll on me. All the cutting, sanding, fitting and scratch building is having an effect on my enjoyment with my beloved. I have had to have so many delays for things that dont fit, fit poorly, or just plain have to be scratch made (even for as little progress as I have made with the kit) that its wearing on me.

I will however NOT be defeated by my love. I will persevere. 

So here we go...................As K1 and others suspected, and as myself hoped would NOT be the case, I have heard from Jiri @ HpH models on the Tigercat lower starboard wing error I found, and it is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear:

"Hi Brian,

I am aware of this error, but unfortunately it is already on the master model - original. The replacement does not solve the problem. The original mastrer model has been completely hand-made and certainly there are other inaccuracies on the model.
I apologize for the error, but the model in its complexity was so complicated that it was not the power to make a new wing. Unfortunately this error must be tolerated.

Thanks

Best Regards  Jiří"

*SIGH*

Ive been working on the nose well, and am about to start detailing it, so I can at least have some inkling of completion so I can find some continues motivation to stay in the fight here.

More work to come. 

Guest Smitty44

The good news:

- I lied. There isnt any of that.

The bad news:

- I have to admit, that the physical nature of HpH kits, even for as much passion as I have for the T-Cat, takes its toll on me. All the cutting, sanding, fitting and scratch building is having an effect on my enjoyment with my beloved. I have had to have so many delays for things that dont fit, fit poorly, or just plain have to be scratch made (even for as little progress as I have made with the kit) that its wearing on me.

I will however NOT be defeated by my love. I will persevere. 

So here we go...................As K1 and others suspected, and as myself hoped would NOT be the case, I have heard from Jiri @ HpH models on the Tigercat lower starboard wing error I found, and it is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear:

"Hi Brian,

I am aware of this error, but unfortunately it is already on the master model - original. The replacement does not solve the problem. The original mastrer model has been completely hand-made and certainly there are other inaccuracies on the model.

I apologize for the error, but the model in its complexity was so complicated that it was not the power to make a new wing. Unfortunately this error must be tolerated.

Thanks

Best Regards  Jiří"

*SIGH*

Ive been working on the nose well, and am about to start detailing it, so I can at least have some inkling of completion so I can find some continues motivation to stay in the fight here.

More work to come. 

They are gonna have to offer mental health insurance with the B-36... :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:

Yeah, not going to be fun. I guess I should feel lucky that one underside of the wing is ALL I have to re-do.    Bleach. I didnt sign up for re-scribing on this job....................but apparently that is what it is going to take so it appears  that is what I will have to do. 

I'm sure it will be a stunner when you are done Brian!  :thumbsup:

I'm not really sure I like the response from HpH, that's a pretty darn expensive kit, you would think he would offer a fix for the issues. Not real good advertisement. I'm not one for spending the big bucks on a kit but the ME-410 and that TA-154 have been calling my name......but this has put a damper on it.  :hmmm:

Dan

Edited by Daniel460

Thanks guys. It's kinda how I feel too.

+ $300 kit that has significant parts that don't fit, or have to be scratched, fixed or altogether replaced is not a good sign.

I'm going to forge ahead with the fuselage, and stick to my guns......

I'm just going tackle 1 problem at a time.

Guest Smitty44

Thanks guys. It's kinda how I feel too.

+ $300 kit that has significant parts that don't fit, or have to be scratched, fixed or altogether replaced is not a good sign.

I'm going to forge ahead with the fuselage, and stick to my guns......

I'm just going tackle 1 problem at a time.

I would have to say bummer for sure, big time! These are unfortunate problems, but your love for the aircraft and your skills will see you through. What is REALLY a bunch of ca ca is that they just basically said, "just deal with it". Makes me not want to give them my money.

Edited by Smitty44