Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair on Pre-order on Evil bay at $29.99....

Daniel Leduc

Guest The Southern Bandit

Paypal never even paid their UK Taxes, anyone who feels the big corporations are being ripped of really needs to get their priority's straight.

My priority is here with us Modeller guys who took this little gamble, about $40 is nothing to what we all spend and fritter each year buying and trading models, always feared this thread would turn sour , one way or the other and as Human nature we would turn on each other in a sort of jealous way.

Really hate gloating ... but its not over yet, lets see what happens to the other guys who went for this deal before we launch into full "I

told you so mode"  anyone ripped off here is going to get their money back, really fail to see the bitter modellers attitude that has pervaded this thread from the beginning, we should be looking out for each other, not pointing the finger and having a laugh at any perceived loss.

Its stuff like this that divides a community.

WARNING: RANT ON

I hope I'm wrong about this but basic microeconomics tells me I may not be...

For those of us who sell (and buy) on Ebay, this is not a good thing in any way, shape or form.  Like I said in an earlier post, there is no free lunch.  Sure, you guys will get your money back but when you begin seeing increased fees because of all the fraud going on, then what?  Increased sellers fees translate into higher prices... from Ebay and Paypal.  Who ends up paying for it in the end?  You and I do.  What happens to the reputable Ebay sellers when you stop buying their wares because their prices are at or above other online retailers?  If it looks too good to be true, 99 and 44/100 % of the time, it is.  These people aren't going to stop unless you mutate the "stupid" gene that makes you press that "Buy it Now" button.  Especially not when they get away with your (and ultimately Ebay/Paypal's) money.  I'm quite sure the same fraud happens across most of the selling categories on Ebay so it isn't just modelers.  This isn't a win-win for everyone... Ebay/Paypal loses, and it could be big.  I'm willing to bet the time and money necessary to refund your $40 is probably at the very least, five or six times that amount.  Then multiply that amount by how many transactions go bad because of the fraud...we ain't talkin chump change here.

That could be the big picture I'm afraid.  Two, three years down the road if we hear about having to pay increased fees that are unfair and all the hype and hyperbole that goes along with it, I'm gonna zombie up this thread and list everyone whose name appears that knowingly (and there's no REASONABLE way you could not have known it is a scam) bought into it and did so without thinking about what the final cost to the consumer might be.  WTG guys...

rant off.

You are not helping but hope you feel good about your rant.

Ebay owns Paypal. I don't think any of the snarky comments

were meant seriously. Just ribbin' some folks. I've been following

along just to see what happens. It makes no difference to me

if it's legit or not. I didn't bid because I have a -1A and that's

enough for me. I don't think anyone can say they're surprised :blink:

Every business on the planet factors pilferage into their operating costs - before the fact.

Care to describe where in corporate finance and cost accounting that subject is discussed?  Perhaps between inventory obsolescence and end of product life cycle returns?  I must've missed class the day they discussed pilferage in my MBA corporate finance and cost accounting classes.

Perhaps you refer to a similar term shrinkage....  Here's what investopedia has to say about that...

Shrinkage is the loss of inventory that can be attributed to factors such as employee theft, shoplifting, administrative error, vendor fraud, damage in transit or in store, and cashier errors that benefit the customer. Shrinkage is the difference between recorded inventory on a company's balance sheet and its actual inventory. This concept is a very real problem for retailers, and it works to quickly reduce retail sales, resulting in billions of dollars of lost inventory each year for U.S. retailers.

The largest impact of shrinkage is a loss of profits. This is especially negative in retail environments, where businesses operate on low margins and high volumes, meaning that retailers have to sell a large amount of product to make a profit. If a retailer loses inventory through shrinkage, it is hit twice over; it cannot recoup the cost of the inventory itself, and it also cannot sell the inventory and make revenue, which trickles down to decrease the bottom line.

Shrinkage is a fact of life, and many businesses try to cover these potential losses by increasing the price of a product to account for small losses in inventory. These prices are passed on to the consumer, who is required to bear the burden for theft and inefficiencies that might cause a loss of product. If a consumer is price sensitive, shrinkage works to decrease a company's consumer base, causing them to look elsewhere for similar goods.

Finally, shrinkage can increase company costs in other areas. Retailers, for example, have to invest heavily in security, whether that investment is in security guards, technology or other essentials. These costs work to further reduce profits, or to increase prices if the expenses are passed on to the consumer.

Nuff said

Edited by Juggernut

Care to describe where in corporate finance and cost accounting that subject is discussed?  Perhaps between inventory obsolescence and end of product life cycle returns?  I must've missed class the day they discussed pilferage in my MBA corporate finance and cost accounting classes.

Perhaps you refer to a similar term shrinkage....  Here's what investopedia has to say about that...

Shrinkage is the loss of inventory that can be attributed to factors such as employee theft, shoplifting, administrative error, vendor fraud, damage in transit or in store, and cashier errors that benefit the customer. Shrinkage is the difference between recorded inventory on a company's balance sheet and its actual inventory. This concept is a very real problem for retailers, and it works to quickly reduce retail sales, resulting in billions of dollars of lost inventory each year for U.S. retailers.

The largest impact of shrinkage is a loss of profits. This is especially negative in retail environments, where businesses operate on low margins and high volumes, meaning that retailers have to sell a large amount of product to make a profit. If a retailer loses inventory through shrinkage, it is hit twice over; it cannot recoup the cost of the inventory itself, and it also cannot sell the inventory and make revenue, which trickles down to decrease the bottom line.

Shrinkage is a fact of life, and many businesses try to cover these potential losses by increasing the price of a product to account for small losses in inventory. These prices are passed on to the consumer, who is required to bear the burden for theft and inefficiencies that might cause a loss of product. If a consumer is price sensitive, shrinkage works to decrease a company's consumer base, causing them to look elsewhere for similar goods.

Finally, shrinkage can increase company costs in other areas. Retailers, for example, have to invest heavily in security, whether that investment is in security guards, technology or other essentials. These costs work to further reduce profits, or to increase prices if the expenses are passed on to the consumer.

Nuff said

You really are a bit of work :(

OK folks, let's just take the foot off the pedal on this one for a bit, eh? I don't want to lock it, because I think it's of interest to all of us to see who ends up with the kit they ordered, and who doesn't. But please - collectively - lay off the pissing contest. Those who bought into these deals did so largely with a full awareness of the risks involved, just like those who chose to avoid them. Neither side is right or wrong here, so let's proceed in the spirit of curiosity, rather than self-righteousness. This is not directed at anyone individually, but just a shot across the bow for everyone following or participating in this thread.

Kev

Agree, we should stay on topic. I bought into this deal as other have knowing full well that it could be a scam. What have I got to lose,nothing, either the kit turns up or I get a refund.i treat it as nothing more than an experiment.

OK folks, let's just take the foot off the pedal on this one for a bit, eh? I don't want to lock it, because I think it's of interest to all of us to see who ends up with the kit they ordered, and who doesn't. But please - collectively - lay off the pissing contest. Those who bought into these deals did so largely with a full awareness of the risks involved, just like those who chose to avoid them. Neither side is right or wrong here, so let's proceed in the spirit of curiosity, rather than self-righteousness. This is not directed at anyone individually, but just a shot across the bow for everyone following or participating in this thread.

Kev

Let's self moderate as a membership.

Anyone remember these???    Cmon guys................ This IS/WAS an exceptionally interesting conversation. Lets keep it that way. Im playing the good cop here, as Ive hidden a few comments to keep the thread alive.  This is about the last shot on this one. 

Ive just removed the whole last shabang. Dont get offended if your remark got removed. Its just a last ditch effort to keep the thread on track. Apologies if anyone feels slighteted. 

Oh stop it Scooby, you are sounding a bit bitter now, you never got this kit deal offer in a one in a life time chance to get a new release Tamiya 1/32 superkit so cheap, if it turns out you are right (but I'm betting you are wrong) then I'm sure you will get apology en mass for your fantastic wisdom and insight?

Otherwise just wait and see what happens and wish the guys well for there adventurous spirit ... at end of day its not a lot of money to lose, even in the eventual impossibility the deal falls sour for them, cant you just wish them well in the spirit of LSP instead of thinking and maybe silently hoping for the worst for them?

Really?

I totally passed up on the opportunity and purchased one from Tokyo Hobby for $104.00. I had more than one opportunity to buy from this seller but I didn't like the smell of it.

Mine was from seller: xsxs3525

The October 26 date is straight from ebay.  I don't expect to have my money on the 26th, but ebay will step in and "handle" the claim from there on out.  In the end I get a free cable.  The scamming situation on ebay really needs to be taken care of although there is no easy way to do it.  

The cheapest I can find this kit from a legit seller on ebay is $127.90 from Tokyo Hobby.  

Tokyo Hobby had them for $104. I bought a few at that price, all while this was going on.