Canada's Most Decorated Soldier: William Barker and His Snipe

Uncarina

Wow, the wood is AMAZING. Decals or paint?

You probably said, but regulars here will tell you I'm literally flying through life much of the time, and never have a chance to read carefully. Apologies if you have already addressed the topic.

Edited by Bill Cross

Wow, the wood is AMAZING. Decals or paint?

You probably said, but regulars here will tell you I'm literally flying through life much of the time, and never have a chance to read carefully. Apologies if you have already addressed the topic.

Bill,

Thanks very much indeed! The wood effect is oils over an acrylic base. The technique has gotten to be pretty common for WWI aircraft, and I'm itching to apply it to a Roland D.IVb that I ordered. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,  Tom

Beautiful execution, nicely done!

Mike, you are very kind! Thanks!

Stunning work Tom, love the woodwork and you say its your first WnW in years........a super clean build.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! Painting the woodwork was one of my favorite parts of this build.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Beautifully executed Tom.  I built the kit and used a bit of artistic licence to depict the same aircraft.  Barker's story of his last dog-fight is amazing and you should read Wayne Ralph's book.on his life.

May I park my Snipe here?

Barney

I had originally wanted to build all of the WnW kits which were flown by Canadians who were recipients of the Victtoria Cross but Mother Nature decided otherwise.

"Billy" Barker's Snipe.

SopwithSnipeDSCN4214_025.jpg

SopwithSnipeDSCN4215_026.jpg

I did not try weathering this one as the real thing was a fresh-from-the factory plane set up for Barker to test and evaluate.  He was to be the commander of the Snipe "Top Gun" flight training the pilots on a new aircraft but as it turned out it was also his last flight as a combat pilot

Barney

Edited by Old Dog Flying