ME-110G-2

Hello All, I know it's a little late in the game to join, but I've GOT to hack the engines off of something and I cannot recall seeing an ME-110G done on these forums yet? I'm going to try and make a correct engine profile "G" version of the Revell kit. This might morph into a G-4 nightfighter, as I think those are incredibly tough looking....but for now I want to make it like this.

post-4413-1214805126.jpg

These markings are for NAGr-1 stab, and it wouldn't have the 37mm gun-pack....but, what-the-heck?!

Here is what I'm starting with. I also have a 1/35th scale 37mmAA gun I can use for the gun-pack. I will make my own decals. I don't have time to order any after-market parts(are there any?), so I will be casting my own spinners/props from Me-109 parts. Don't have time to super-detail cockpit, so this will be all about the engines....and maybe the later rudders for a G-4 nightfighter.

post-4413-1214805609.jpg

Checking out the ME-110G-4 nightfighter kit reveals no larger rudders and less than optimal spinner/cowls for the DB-605's. So...I will probably modify the ME-110 C-4 kit to F-2 version, as it used the earlier canopy also. I'll just build the new 110 coming out OOB as an earlier C, and upgrade the Revell nightfighter to a correct G-4 because it has a "correct" canopy for that. Uh, that's the plan anyway. Later, Russ

Now Russ, you just know I'm going to be watching this one closely! Nice reference collection too. The Osprey Modelling books I've seen are generally pretty good, and I've heard that the one on the 110 is particularly so. They certainly serve as a nice inspiration.

Kev

Russ

Well, I suppose someone's gotta do it! Good luck with this - I'll be watching closely for inspiration.

After market does exists (though I don't have any of it).

Eduard do interior and exterior PE.

Jerry Rutman does some resin - cockpit, u/c, u/c bay, rudders (all for G series)

I think Airwaves (Hannants website) do 110 wheels and possibly metal u/c

Cheers

Matt

"Like a moth to the flame", eh, Kevin?! :ph34r: Kinda thought this would catch yer eye. hehe. I'm having a prob with my reference materials, as all of them have conflicting 3-views for me to enlarge. They're all different. So I ordered yet more books.(an Aero Detail on Me-110G amongst others, they have SWEET 3-views) Also checked the kit out in more detail, and "GAH" I've had to order some new mainwheels. Kit wheels ain't happening. Also ordered the PE sets for the interior/exterior. THANKS for the info, Matt! :rolleyes: Will take 2-3 weeks to get here(from the UK), so I'll be blocking up major assemblies until then. Thank goodness there's not more aftermarket stuff I can buy!

Undecided on whether to "pop' the leading edge slats. I haven't seen too many pics of them out on the ground. Hmmm. Also going to add under-wing fuel tanks.

Kit isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, considereing it's vintage. More pics and info as it unfolds. Russ

P.S. I am going to order the resin parts from Jerry Rutman tomorrow by phone, but it says it takes 4 weeks, and this group-build only has what...5-6 weeks left? I still want them for my next Me-110 G-4 build, but I prob won't get them in time for this one. Alas.

Guest Rigor

nice ,just one question i have a pix of that plane with the same marking's

where did you get info on those marking's thank's :rolleyes:

nice ,just one question i have a pix of that plane with the same marking's

where did you get info on those marking's thank's :D

Wow!, You've got pics of this plane?! :blink: I was digging REAL deep in a pile of old decals at a hobby shop, and found this 1/48 scale sheet dated 1997. I will be enlarging these 150% for my markings. They have this labelled as 12/SG 77, but I did a LOT of research to realize it ain't so.(found some German website that eludes me now with a pic of this marking on the nose) It confirmed that Stab-NAGr 1 flew Me-110F-3/G-3's in '43 on the southern(?) eastern front. I have another ancient book that shows pics of this 'pinching skeleton hand' on the engine cowls, not on the nose but I'm sure there were 'variations'.

I believe they had red tipped spinners like the decal sheet shows(actually it just adds a cool splash of color too! :P ), so I've updated my digitally painted pic to reflect this. Here's the basic info on where I got my markings.

post-4413-1214982067.jpg

37mm cannon will be installed just cause I've got some barrels and I think it'd look cool. Oh yeah, it'll have 2 under-wing drop tanks too, forgot to add those to the pic darn it. :blink: This thing would fly like a dump truck in real life I'm sure.

Here is the decal sheet I stumbled upon. I digitally painted the pic above to match the markings on this sheet. Hmm, surprised to know there really is a pic of this plane....COOL! :blink:

post-4413-1214982385.jpg

Haven't had a chance to do too much on this yet, as some DA stole 1/2 of the engine in my 'pristine-just restored' 1960 VW beetle last night, and I'm busy hunting down assorted 6-volt parts and manual choke carb that are missing. BLAST!!! Bummer when 'real life' gets in the way of my modelling. :blink:

Haven't had a chance to do too much on this yet, as some DA stole 1/2 of the engine in my 'pristine-just restored' 1960 VW beetle last night, and I'm busy hunting down assorted 6-volt parts and manual choke carb that are missing. BLAST!!! Bummer when 'real life' gets in the way of my modelling. :blink:

Bummer about your car Russ! I hope you can sort it all out to your satisfaction mate.

Kev

No worries, dude! Side hobby is 1/1 scale VW restorations(1941-66) so I'm 'in' on spare parts....I'd rather be glueing plastic and piling on the putty than spending time re-doing the car though. At least they didn't scratch my paint-job, very considerate of them, eh? :blink:

This thing would fly like a dump truck in real life.

You’re not kidding! They weren’t all that maneuverable to start with.

Nice subject, by the way. I’m itching to have a go at mine.

Beside the chunky, inaccurate canopy, the spinners are terrible. I got some new spinners and props from Jeff Roberts. Not sure how to tackle the greenhouse yet, might just try to thin it out a bit.

Good luck.

Guest Rigor

Thant's for the info,but it's still a mystery and the pix i have shows the skeleton hand on the nose

and the plane seem's to be all black but will look again and at the spinners too :blink:

Well, I've got all 36 roaring HP back on the veedub, and a 3-day holiday weekend. Whoohoo! :D Enlarged plans to 1/32nd yesterday, and plopped some plastic down to see if this kit is 'dimensionally challenged". If anybody is interested in the results, I will post pics for your enjoyment. I have already started hacking the fuselage, and eyeballing the engine nacelles. I only have a little over a month to complete this, so it won't be super-detailed....just dimensionally correct. Good practice for the G-4 nightfighter that will follow with all the good bits I'm hoarding installed.

Out of the gate, and day 1 of the Me-110 build. Here's where I'm at so far.

post-4413-1215172903.jpg

I am contemplating a 2mm plug behind the cockpit to make it's length perfect...just a wee bit short now. Also, the wing needs to be 2-3mm further forward. You can see the marks drawn where I'll cut the whole wing/fuse/root assembly and move it forward. I've already added a plug forward of the cockpit. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of the engine nacelle. Egads! :D I've already figured out a technique for sculpting this entire area. Oooh, I love to putty things! I don't know if this nacelle is correct for a Me-110-C or not as I don't have plans for that version to check it out. Got a lot of 'whittling' to do in this area, eh?!

post-4413-1215173799.jpg