Rolling Milliput into sheets with teflon?/Update Oct 27

Lee in Texas

Years ago, I read about using a teflon rod as a rolling pin to roll Milliput into sheets. It was rolled out on a porcelain tile with talcum powder to prevent it sticking to the tile. I tried it and made a few flags that way, but that has been 20+ years ago. Now I wonder about using a teflon rod on a teflon plate. I'm thinking that the putty won't stick to either, so the it can remain sticky and adhere better to a large scale tank model for Zimmerit. Any reason it wouldn't work? I think I'll cruise ebay and look for plate and rod. Just wondering if my idea is flawed.

Edited by Lee in Texas

Great idea. Makes more sense to roll it onto a Teflon sheet. Try a local plastics supply, or maybe McMaster Carr or Grainger in addition to eBay. Another possibility would be a roll-up cutting board that campers use. They're made of a really slick plastic and they're easy to find. Might be worth a shot!

I tried it out. I found a Teflon "plate" on ebay that measures approx 9.5"x5.5"x1" thick, along with a Teflon rod about 1.25" dia. My idea did not work. It sticks to the plate.

2v2uCD1S5xeZA4.jpg

The finish of the plate is not glass smooth. I'm wondering if it could be machined to a smoother finish, and if that would help, but it's not really necessary. It works for its intended purpose.

2v2uCDpfnxeZA4.jpg

Hi. If you want to reproduce Zimmerit yourself, I found a far easier method many years ago. In Europe a company named Polyfilla sells tubes of wall filler pasta to fill small holes in plaster walls. This can be cleaned with white spirit, has an off white color and has the perfect creamy consistency to be spread. Moreover,it etches a very little bit into the plastic surface. So, this sticks without problem but does not damage plastic. To me this is really the best product. No more mix and very cheap price. I am sure it is possible to find similar products where you live.

Hth

Thierry

Possibly but not sure as the tubes are different!

In Belgium we had two different types: the standard one (had to be cleaned with white spirit) and the quick drying one (had to be cleaned with cellulose thinner). The good one was the standard one.

I just checked on the Belgian website and it looks like the products changed (now they can be cleaned with hot water). So, this asks for new experminents! However, I guess most products are similar and the price is si low, I would not hesitate experimenting! At least, I still have a tube of the old one!

Hth

Thierry

Magic Sculpt is a better option than Milliput in my opinion to roll into thin sheets.  The grain is finer, so can be rolled thinner and still be strong enough tomove it.  Use either talcum powder or skin moisturiser to lubricate the  surfaces and tools.  Apply a little water to make the putty stick to itself or the substrate material.

Jens

Possibly but not sure as the tubes are different!

In Belgium we had two different types: the standard one (had to be cleaned with white spirit) and the quick drying one (had to be cleaned with cellulose thinner). The good one was the standard one.

I just checked on the Belgian website and it looks like the products changed (now they can be cleaned with hot water). So, this asks for new experminents! However, I guess most products are similar and the price is si low, I would not hesitate experimenting! At least, I still have a tube of the old one!

Hth

Thierry

See if you can get some info from the old tube. I am thinking product numbers and other designations. It is easier to ask polyfilla company about this than to experiment with their many products!