AIMS Mistel 2 Ju 88 component

Pastor John

Last bits before painting - fairing over wing root ejection ports and some plating around the electrical panel - not sure what this 'T' section of plating at rear of electrics is all about but can see it on some photos so thought I would add it. Looking at the A-8 hanging up in the Imperial war Museum in Lambeth London you can see that the upper nose gun ejection ports have not been faired over - why I do not know but I will leave them be. 

20150910_215223_zpsub6hznya.jpg

I have just realised that as a result of being encouraged to get on with the Fw 190 for my finished Mistel Ju 88 component I have ended up posting 'work in progress' on what is supposed to be a 'ready for inspection' page..... sorry moderators - what to do? Anyway only a few pics and then the Fw 190 will indeed also be 'ready for inspection.' I sprayed the lower surfaces with Alclad Dark aluminium as I wanted to mimic what you can see on a number of Mistel Fw 190 F-8s, yes you cannot tell from photos of Fw on top of Red 12 so i am going to paint all my favorite late war cammo oddities with a clear conscience as you just can't tell hehe. I masked off the panels to be painted RLM 76 by taping over and cutting out - thought it would be easier but my heart was in my mouth the whole time! Once all covered the Xtracolor RLM 76 was applied and then my own mix of RLM 75 and RLM 83. I did not have any RLM 83 but looking at my paint chart by 'Classic Colours' I could see that it was a near perfect match for British Dark camo Green so on it went! When it is all dry I need to mask off a little bit more and spray the main gear / bay RLM 02  

20150912_181759_zpsuz6uwjms.jpg20150912_184610_zps6eih17zt.jpg20150913_225738_zpsahuwm37e.jpg20150914_020314_zpscixgb3ua.jpg

Looks great, John!

I have just realised that as a result of being encouraged to get on with the Fw 190 for my finished Mistel Ju 88 component I have ended up posting 'work in progress' on what is supposed to be a 'ready for inspection' page..... sorry moderators - what to do? Anyway only a few pics and then the Fw 190 will indeed also be 'ready for inspection.'

Let's just leave it all here now, and when you're done, you can publish RFI photos of the entire Mistel, and then I can publish them on the website!

Kev

Disaster No. 2! I have got the Kit decals on today plus some of my own for the Mistel conversion, anyway in the absence of the kits instructions that i must have lost all I had was the old Monograph title which has the painting and marking / stencils diagram on the back inside page. Funny enough when it came to the tail and fuselage insignia I double checked using photos but the I failed to do this for the upper wing crosses and just followed the drawings to my great regret as as a result I have crosses that start inboard of the aileron actuator fairing instead of outboard of it! I am very cross! All I had to do was check a few photos and the mistake would have been avoided. By the time I noticed the Gunze sanyo Setter and Softer had done their job - I dare not try and use loads in an attempt to get them off for fear of ruining the paintwork. So sad! Wish I had not used the Hasegawa landing flap indicator decals either - like most of the stencils they are a bit over done but these item more so! Ok I am going back to 88's!

20150915_225536_zpsvae29aj4.jpg

Thanks John, I managed to get them off with the Gunze Sanyo Softer just left on for a few minutes, phew, anyway the Hasegawa upper wing crosses are 1mm too big anyway so placing them correctly would also have looked odd. I have ordered some Montax masks which means I am free to carry on with getting the model sprayed Matt. First of all I want to tackle some fabric seat belts for the first ever time - help! I don't understand some of the Basic Line instructions!

These HGW seat belts are amazing and worth every penny but how do you ever go back to normal PE belts after this? They are models in their own right! I did not follow the recommended painting route and just dipped them in Flory Models Grime, then dipped in water then dabbed them down with tissue paper and like magic all the stitching appears!

20150916_143001_zpsi4gj4jsd.jpg

Hi everybody, after applying the Flatt varnish i removed the tape from the Alclad Aluminium areas - sadly as I had cut into the Alclad around panels I made those areas prone to peeling even with being careful - i back filled the bare plastic with something akin to German putty (Humbrol 100). Any just waiting on the Montex masks now for my upper and lower wing national insignia - I have decals for the lower wing put did not want to see the carrier film on the bare Aluminium. Need to spray a bit more RLM 76 aft of the leading edge wrap around panel as a hard edge demarcation is fine for subcontracted parts like wing tips / ailerons, flaps etc but not the front edge of the wing.

20150917_203701_zpspwz1fary.jpg

Hi, just waiting on these Montex masks so i can complete this project, thought I would make a base up in the mean time, don't really want the models with tarpaulin's all over them so not going to go for a winter wonderland scene. Made a ladder as best I could and just need to look at photos to see what style of wheel chocks to make20150919_135142_zpsvmrnph7k.jpg

Waiting for a part or product is not a bad thing - the delay in finishing has given me time to spot that I forgot all about fairing in the upper gun troughs! I had thought that maybe they were only on the A-8 off of Red 11 that now hangs in the Imperial War Museum Lambeth but I can see them clearly in two photos of F-8 Mistel Combo's so i had better do them! I just sawed through some rod at an angle and placed on some card with rivet detail - job done! Will spray and leave in a grey primer colour. Do I also need to fill in the two upper latches? ....Yes I do!

20150920_175138_zpsxbomrdmm.jpg

Edited by Pastor John