Revell P-51B Mustang

Adrian A.

Thanks for the comments Thor, I appreciate them!

I did try your cleaning approach on the parts tonight & they did paint easier. If it wasn't for me pooching the paint job on it , it would have look pretty good - but you'll see that in the upcoming pics - I gotta get to the point of using my airbrush I guess, I'm just too heavy handed on those teeny parts with a brush.

This first pic is as I began butchering the Revell sidewall. After scribing around the frames I drilled out & removed the chunks.

The wire is what I'll be using for the oxygen hose.

post-177-1261111299.jpg

I then trimmed the sidewall up.

It was at this point Tuesday when I cut the ever luvin' crap out of my thumb with my hobby knife - man it smarted!

I should have taken the hint from Mon. when I almost cut myself - but I was ALMOST finished with remodeling the part.

Anywho, I put it away for a few days - which is one of the reasons I hadn't posted any updates.

post-177-1261111664.jpg

I'm going to try something new for the formation lights on this build.

I have the PE surrounds in the Eduard set, so I drilled the centers of the molded wing lights. I'll sand this area flush later, then apply the PE parts. I'll add some clear for the lights over some aluminum paint, then use clear red, amber & blue paint to finish it up.

I'm hoping it turns out OK.

post-177-1261112748.jpg

Another view.

When adding the wire, I used longer pieces then cut them once they were glued into place.

I tried with pre-cut pieces & just couldn't do it - my eyes & fingers couldn't agree on which way it went so I went with the Plan B longer pieces.

post-177-1261113324.jpg

Another view.

This first real attempt with PE has been an experience. There is a definite learning curve with PE.

I think for me, the hardest part of PE is making the correct bends and just manipulating the tiny parts.

The bending part got the better of me on several pieces.

Working with super glue & activator was also a bit different for me - I have a tendency to use just a tad too much.

post-177-1261113927.jpg

Last pic of the night.

I will be doing a bit more work on the cockpit.

I'm going to attempt to scratchbuild the Hydraulic hand pump on the right floorboard, that should be a trick!

I am also planning on doing a bit of scratchbuilding on the radio deck.

Hopefully I'll be able to button up the fuse after Christmas.

Thanks for looking in, I appreciate it!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1261114555.jpg