House of the Flying Daggers! Mirage Double Feature Italeri/Revell

dutik

Nice start Dutik. Despite being a bit disappointed in the thread when I saw what was going down I can now see that you were joking (I hope)!

Keep up the good work. At least there is a few parts from the Italeri kit that will be left over (weapons particularly) that you will be able to use to dress up the revell kit a bit. I hope that my thread on the new Mirage is giving you a few ideas.

Eric.

Thank you for coming in!

Indeed, I had a look or two at both of your Mirage threads :speak_cool:  It's a great help to have somebody crossing the minefield first :coolio:

I want the use the two winged fuel tanks from Italeri for the Revell kit. They are much better than the Revell parts. Otherwise the Isracast set holds all that might be useful, even some very nice wing and fuselage pylons. Re-engraving the outer styrene shell and carefully adding the tons of resin bits should do the trick. Regarding to Italeris C dashboard I have the French Avions book about the B/C at hand that should answer some questions, and some resin parts to replace the seat and the fuselage end :hmmm:

Stay tuned!

- dutik

A new star enters the stage: Italeris Mirage IIIC has arrived!

Lets see what we have:

mirage10lus24.jpg

The Mirage kit (the star is still in his wardrobe, but you see the contract :innocent: ), his textbook, a brass pitot, the Eagle Details Atar 9C set for an upgraded Israelian CJ, and Fisher designs cockpit set. We need a MB Mk.6 seat for the Great Illusion :frantic:

Speaking about illusions:

If you think that Italeri provides you with a IIIC instrument paneel - thats just an illusion. The paneel is a hodgepodge of different styles. See below. To the left a Belgian Mirage V, to the right a French IIIC. The kit paneel at the center:

mirage09dqsta.jpg

Hey, and where is the radar scope tube???

OK, Eric Galliers had it in the news: You have to scratchbuild your own instrument paneel face...

Lets compare the paneels made by Fisher Resin, Italeri and Isracast (left to right):

mirage11qksjf.jpg

Sorry, but it is not the image. The Isracast paneel is really that flat-faced. The best part is the prominent globe of the arteficial horizon. Yes, there was also a part of the upper deck brocken off.

Battle plan:

I will add the Fisher cockpit into the Revell Dagger conversion.

The Italeri part will get a make-over to meet the demands of a IIIC.

The two resin seats will be used with the kits as appropriate.

And now:

May I ask Harold of AMS Resin fame to enter the stage?

Thank you, Harold!

Here we go: The Fisher cockpit does not, I repeat: NOT fit the Italeri kit. At least not out of the box. The upper part of the rear cockpit slope is much tighter than the lower part. There is a visible "shoulder" or "waistline" that is not inside the rear cockpit slope of the Revell kit. But it is possible to fit the resin rear wall into by carving off some resin at both sides, where the rear wall is plain and empty. Overall width of the tub seems to be ok; or at least adjustable be carving off a small amount of resin from the outside.

Hope that helps. Didn't carve off the rear wall to make it fit because I want to use it with the Revell kit as intended.

Regards

- dutik

p.s. Still engraving the wings, adding putty where I slipped off or made scratches, and working ahead until everything is nice and smooth :tumble:

Started building the Italeri kit. Intake trunk (hey, looks like a human anatomy part :speak_cool: ) and apinting cockpit and front UC bay. Got the Revell wing engraved and glued it together. It was warped at the edge in places, so some extra glue and more clamps take care of this issue:

mirage12j7u3e.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik

Howdy, you must be a NSA insider... :hmmm:

:wicked: 

Indeed, this is the House of FLYING Daggers  :yahoo: Flying, right? Right! :punk:

Guess you got it by the unmodified wheel wells :whistle: But that is not the end of the story. More to come ^_^

Regards

- dutik

Painted both cockpit tubs Tamiya Nato black, drybrushed it with a light blue-gray by Valleyo and added some red and yellow dots as appropriate. The frontal wheel well was painted Vallejo air silver; brushpainted. Works nice and fast with a drop of water. Picked some pipes with a yellowish metal colour (mix of silver and yellow paint). Sealed it with glosscoate from spraycan and applied a pin wash of diluted Vallejo black. Parts glued together and set apart to dry. Also started building the fuselage of the IIIC.

mirage13k7l03.jpg

Maybe you will get no major update tomorrow, because it's family day :innocent:

Regards

- dutik

Two more images:

Front uc bay in place

mirage14nfyhp.jpg

The rudder is lacking a paneel line horizontal at the top, below the line of bolts, where the pencil points. Just a matter of a few seconds to add this one. This line is formed at the other side of the rudder by the seam of a styrene insert, so no need to add something there.

mirage15clzik.jpg

- dutik

Down the road?

Was down the road this day. First we cleared some corners at our modelling museum from debris. The LSP models got a new shelf, and the place for a new cabinet is coming was earmarked. Sorry, forgot to take the camera with me. Will add some images next time :rolleyes:

Also visited the hardware store to buy some nuts and bolts to enhance my "Ninja device" the next days:

mirage169tshw.jpg

Surprises? :hmmm:

At least I have one:

mirage17rms7p.jpg

This is the rear end of Italeris IIIC kit with Isracasts Atar 9C burner can. Watch the lower left and right corners :deadhorse:

Well the burner can fits Revells IIIE kit like a glove. Same goes for Eagle Details burner can. But Italeris kit has a different cross section. Not circular, more triangular.

Well, I have to develop a plan to solve this issue. But this is at the moment "down the road". Time will tell :coolio:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Dutik

Fantastic. I have in the pipeline a few units of the matterhorn circle atar 9c exhaust. i didnt know they were going to be usable on the 3C though. i thought the atar 9c was only on the 3Es....

thats good to know. i wonder what markings your italeri 3c is going to be in....see, surprises surprises lol!

Im sure you'll find a way to get that sorted out, i am very interested in seeing how youre going to get past the ovoid shape of the kit (meaning i am taking notes for my build lol!!  :whistle:  ;) )

Karim

Both will come in Argentine markings. The IIIC only shows the Atar 9C because they were modernized former Israelian AF birds added to the Argentine AF inventory to compensate for Falklands War losses. If you want to build Italeris IIIC with the markings given OOTB then there is no need to add a different exhaust (except you want to show an IAF bird late in his IAF service life, afther modernization). Just to name it: Adding Matterhorns excellent exhaust pipe is plain wrong for most of the IIIC`s.

The Dagger will show the colours of the Malvinas Fighter Group (grupo 6).

Regards

- dutik