1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

very cool....now someone needs to VAC a 1/32 PBM Mariner for me.

Didn't someone at LSP scratchbuilt a Mariner a while ago? But a vac would also be cool indeed.

But on the Connie subject it's good to see progress again Iain..!

regards,

Jack.

Thanks for the support guys - appreciated. Need to keep the enthusiasm going now but it feels like we may just be getting on a roll - hopefully an un-stoppable one.

R3350engineSuperConnie.JPG

Tonight I have mostly been collecting more images of the Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone engines.

Don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a set of scale drawings for these engines?

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Well - I appear to have mislaid a bunch of Constellation books I'd amassed - so need to make some purchases again. But I have found an original service manual for early Connies I had tucked away from when I started - some great drawings in there which will help hugely.

Also found original manual for the R2800 I had stashed away - pity it's the wrong engine! So if anyone out there is rebuilding one? ;)

Tonight I've been neatening up the drilled windows and checking the nose gear bay mark out before cutting. Good job I did 'cos I had it marked out 6mm too far forward - so fixing that now.

Hopefully more pix at the weekend.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Hi Ian. Loving the work on this so far. Let me give a look at work for some reference material. The shop I work in used to do lots of work on these old roundmotors in the 50's and 60's, and there seems to be a lot of old manuals we have in storage. I will take a look and see what I can come up with for you regarding the -3350.......

Saw this cool video about a static display -3350 that is cutaway to show how some of the guts work. Might be of some use....

Please keep the good work coming!

THOR

Wow Iain, this is an insanely cool project! Never throught I'd see a 1/32 Connie shape up. One question though, how big is your workbench? How much space do you have set aside for modeling to work on a project this big, cause I'm working on the Trumpeter Flanker, and that's almost too big for my desk, and I'm sure that thing's puny compared to this girl.

Again, truly awesome! Keep up the great work!

Matt

Erm - just checked the engine manual and it's actually for the four row R-4360 - now that's a complex engine!!! (and must be a rare manual? Came with the Connie stuff).

Thor - thanks for the vid - brilliant stuff! If you find anything on the 3350 I'd love to know...

Matt - it doesn't fit on the bench - only the floor, the kitchen table and the patio table :) I have a Flanker on the go too - if I get a chance this w/e I'll post a comparison pic!

In further progress nose gear bay cut out - next stop windshield area and entry door. Measure once - measure again - measure once more - change - check again - and again - then maybe (and only maybe) make that cut!

Relaxing hobby is modelling - NOT! ;)

Iain

Matt - it doesn't fit on the bench - only the floor, the kitchen table and the patio table :) I have a Flanker on the go too - if I get a chance this w/e I'll post a comparison pic!

In further progress nose gear bay cut out - next stop windshield area and entry door. Measure once - measure again - measure once more - change - check again - and again - then maybe (and only maybe) make that cut!

Relaxing hobby is modelling - NOT! ;)

Iain

Thanks Iain. I was just wondering where you had the space for this thing. Geez, I'll never complain about t akit taking up too much space anymore. This build is looking reat, keep up the great work! Never built a vac-form, but they always look like fun subjects! :party0023:

Matt

Gosh, you always make it look so easy...

...now you got thinking about doing a LSA again... :closedeyes:

...that is a Large Scale Airliner! :BANGHEAD2:

Been spending a little time today modding the Tip Tanks, neatening up the nose gear bay opening and cutting away the windshield area to make a master for vaccing:

re2005216.JPG

Tanks way too long - so marked up and Tamiya tape used to mark straight perpendicular lines. Cut with razor saw and made easier by the foam fill.

re2005217.JPG

Here you can see the difference

re2005218.JPG

Edges trued up with the 'T' bar before bonding.

re2005219.JPG

Thick superglue used to form a strong bond - after ensuring everything straight!

re2005220.JPG

Canopy area market out with tape prior to cut. Thin superglue run into the joint - just for the length of the joint surface on the area to be removed.

re2005221.JPG

Out with the razor saw...

re2005222.JPG

... and Connie's now a convertible! Removed section will be filled with resin and shaped to produce a master pattern.

re2005223.JPG

Nose gear bay cut out.

More later :)

Iain

Wow!!!!!!!! That thing is massive Iain! Wow, that really puts the FLanker to shame size-wise, now I know why you can't work at a desk on this one. This is truly a super-ambitious project, especially hacking it up like you are to detail it.

One question though, what is the stuff inside of the plastic? Is that foam to keep it rigid or something? I only ask cause I've never built a vac-form, but have heard their plastic can be quite brittle.

Matt

Hiya Matt,

Foam is a two-pack polyurethane foam poured into the shapes before they were removed from the sheets to provide a more solid core to the parts - all will make sense when I start on the interior - hopefully tomorrow.

Pix here (apologies for quality)

Iain

Hiya Matt,

Foam is a two-pack polyurethane foam poured into the shapes before they were removed from the sheets to provide a more solid core to the parts - all will make sense when I start on the interior - hopefully tomorrow.

Pix here (apologies for quality)

Iain

Thank you very much. I've never done a vac-form before, so I didn't know if that was standard practice for these kits or not. Either way, it looks like a great build, and it will sure be impressive when it's all done, doubt you'll ever see another one on the contest tables. :speak_cool:

Matt

OK - last before bed - all a bit rough - nothing a session with sanding sticks shouldn't cure - but should start to make some more serious progress from now on...

re2005227.JPG

Crew entry door cut out...

re2005228.JPG

Lines up nicely with internal floor!

re2005229.JPG

Foam section under floor - marked out to show nose gear bay cut out. This area will be removed so that the gear bay can be boxed in.

re2005230.JPG

Start made on canopy pattern - lots of work to be done!

re2005231.JPG

Pattern filled with resin to provide stable base for shaping.

Maybe some more tomorrow...

Iain