Tamiya F-16 back date?

Guest Smitty44

Guest Smitty44

The NSAWC jets aren't exactly F-16As, really.  They are Block 15 OCUs, which were built alongside C-models on the assembly line.  As a result, they share many similarities (but not all) of a C model.  They are a bit of a hybrid.  If you're using refs for a Block 15 F-16A, you're already behind the power curve.  You need refs for a Block 15 OCU if you want to be correct.  Otherwise, you're model will also be a bit of a hybrid.

Thanks, Jake! This project is not happening right away, but I am beginning to gather info. If my memory serves me correctly these aircraft were originally intended for sale to Iran, and some were pulled out of the dessert that were once used in Taiwan...correct? How about the two seaters, are they true B models?

Thanks, Jake! This project is not happening right away, but I am beginning to gather info. If my memory serves me correctly these aircraft were originally intended for sale to Iran, and some were pulled out of the dessert that were once used in Taiwan...correct? How about the two seaters, are they true B models?

No, not exactly.  They were built for Pakistan, but were frozen prior to delivery.  They went to AMARC for several years, then refurbished and put into service with the USAF and Navy.  Pakistan was eventually granted permission to accept the jets, and those in service with the USAF were delivered to Pakistan.  The Navy, however, um, declined to return their jets to Pakistan, as they were needed too badly as adversary jets.  The B-models are OCU jets, too, as they were part of the original purchase.

These are not the only OCU jets in service worldwide.  There were several FMS buys that included OCU Vipers.

Not quite.  The larger stabs were extended on the leading edge as well as the trailing edge as well as the span.  The best way is to check photos and take your references from "landmarks" on the fuselage.  The trailing edges are easy of course...

Jens

Actually, there was no extension to the original small stab. The large stab was a total new design that also had a larger cross sectional air foil. The small stab was fabricated as one piece, where as the large stab has a main box , LE, and TE sections. Just about all the 48th scale AM small stabs make the mistake of using a cut down large stab and then some.

Years ago measured both small and large stabs in order to make accurate 48th small stabs for the Tamiya kit. Also note that the cherry max rivet pattern at the stab pivot pin point is also quite different between the large and small stabs.

Mike V

No, not exactly.  They were built for Pakistan, but were frozen prior to delivery.  They went to AMARC for several years, then refurbished and put into service with the USAF and Navy.  Pakistan was eventually granted permission to accept the jets, and those in service with the USAF were delivered to Pakistan.  The Navy, however, um, declined to return their jets to Pakistan, as they were needed too badly as adversary jets.  The B-models are OCU jets, too, as they were part of the original purchase.

These are not the only OCU jets in service worldwide.  There were several FMS buys that included OCU Vipers.

Right you are, though the Paki Jets that Edwards used were all upgraded to MLU before going back to Pakistan. They flew on in Flight Test with Lockheed on Ramp 7 up until about 2012/13.

• 2 weeks later...