WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

Karim, Thanks for the well documented work. For me, I need to up my game on finish. This inspires.

Jim

Thank you for the kind words i am happy to have you onboard for the build!

Hey guys just a super duper quick update. Nothing built per se to talk about or show you guys as i am on an off stint back home to see my daughter and I should be back to work on Sunday for two flights one to London and one to Singapore.

I have thought at length about the decals provided by wnw for the 5 color night bombing Tarnstoff version and have decided not to use them on this build.

My decision was based on the lengthy correspondence i have had with a friend who's knowledge far exceeds mine in the matter of wwi camo, and who's spent a great deal of his time and effort researching the intricacies and mysteries of wwi camo and colors.

On this note, work on the fuselage will be stopped instead of being the next step in the works until I receive the ten sheets of night Tarnstoff i have purchased, along with some other sheets, from Aviattic!

Meanwhile the next step will be re painting the fuselage sides and top/bottom in pale pink or cream along with preshading for the base painting and then gloss (last thing i did after our last update was to close her up and start the painting which i did in green blue, so this will need to be changed)

I will probably proceed with the engine bearers and get a start on the engines when time permit or until the sheets arrive.

Till then stay safe and happy modelling!

Karim

Me: puts down glue and tweezers, quietly backs away from bench, turns off modeling room light.

Karin, your ability to bring reality and life to a subject is dare I say second to none. Please keep posting as this is tremendously inspiring for a WNW beginner like myself.

My friend thank you for such kind comments...

You have all been so supportive and encouraging. I am glad you are all enjoying this build and i am humbled you are finding it inspiring. Thank you for being part of the build!

Karim

Well since things are stalled waiting for the sheets from Aviattic, i also went ahead and ordered from the big H the complete valve and timing gear, intake rings, valve priming levers and spark plugs. Should make things interesting as ive worked with Taurus models's products before and they are superb, but out with the optivisor it will be

Catch you all later!

Karim

Hello everyone from rainy London!

I am on a layover operating back to doha tonight so what better to do than work remotely on the AEG build while its raining out sipping on a hot coffee... trying to plan ahead and save time on things to come, so i got the laptop with me and worked on the cutfiles for the silhouette plotter awaiting the arrival of the Aviattic night lozenge sheets. Since the kit comes with the wingnut wings version of the night lozs cookie cut, instead of having to transfer the templates to cardboard and then 'manually' cutting the shapes out of the Aviattic sheets, i decided to vectorize those so i can place the Aviattic sheet and get the silhouette to cut them out for me. Cleaner, sharper and more consistent cuts than i could do manually with all the cutouts for the steps, the fuel caps and all the details.

I also decided to have a go at painting the sharkmouth as a mask instead of using it as a decal. This way i will be able to blend and weather it in. Still haven't decided wether i will be doing it as a positive or negative mask yet it all depends on how i am going to apply the masking and wether i am going to have to repaint the nose (which i painted and mottled since our last 'proper' update)...

There are a lot of modifications down the pipeline to some of the progress i have made since i decided to switch to the more accurate Aviattic decals and some replanning of the building stages but i am not going to rush this build as it is really enjoyable and i really want to 'do it right' with no rushing...

some screen capture shots below of the silhouette software...

I could not capture the trace for the sharkmouth so i manually vectored it overlaid on a picture of the decal sheet...took me all morning but i am very happy with the outcome of my efforts.

Tomorrow after i arrive in the morning, i have a day and a half in doha before hitting the road again to Singapore where i will also be dragging my laptop along, so the plan is to start work on repainting the fuselage with light pink and cream and see if i can get a start on sharkmouth airbrushing... i will not be rushing it though...

just a quick update to keep you guys in the loop and interested  :whistle:

till our next update stay safe and happy modelling!

Karim

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-06%20at%2013.56.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-06%20at%2013.28.

Nice work on the laptop in rainy London Karim, horrible weather here this week so far is'nt it.!

Should save you valuable bench time once you are home though.

Regards. Andy

Andy,

yeah weather has been quite rough but quite enjoyable for a change from the 47*C in Doha... 

I got back this morning to the sand pit and spent all afternoon finishing up, rescaling etc the whole sheeting and the plotfiles are done!

Thanks for checking in!

Karim,

Thank you for sharing.  Very interesting stuff for us potential mask makers.

Gaz

Thank you for checking in on the build Gaz...

I've been using the plotter for everything lately...the masking, the ribtapes, cutting decals, everything...it really is helpful

Good choice on the fabric Aviattic decals, Karim. I applied he kit decals on mine, and was less than overwhelmed with the results, so Aviattic it is for me as well.

At the same time, I figured some Navy hex is needed for the W.29 as well...

I only look at this build while in bed now. I'm tired of an achey jaw every time from when it hits the floor. You are the man, the master, the legend, my friend.

Ernie you guys are just too kind to me... i'm far from being a master my friend, i keep learning from the likes of you and all the other talented builders on LSP... besides, wnw makes the end product look superb without too much effort  :innocent:

Thank you  :bow:

I decided on using the Aviattic night bombing lozenges after thinking it over, as I, and i stress on I, do not feel the wnw kit decals are accurate on this one... 

I know i am opening a can of worms on that statement, but it's not based on random choice, i have been lucky to have had an opportunity to discuss it with someone who's far more knowledgeable than me in that matter, taken advice, compared photos etc... at the end of the day there is no '100% carved in stone' answer, but from the information i have at hand the scales tip solidly in my opinion towards the Aviattic rendition for an amount of reasons.

Some people out there are surely going to shout "blasphemy" but at the end of the day its only a model and i am going with what my heart and my head tell me!

Since you mentioned the W29, i have just got a notice from the post office this afternoon, i have finally received my custom made diorama base on which i plan to build and sit the W29 when i get to it...its not Zeebrugge with the concrete and docks for the seaplanes, but its a nice little creek/lakeside dio which is probably not very accurate, but still. I still have to pour all the resin water and build the Aviattic Marienfelde and all the addons i have in mind so this project is going to be for the long run... And yes i also need to get the naval hex sheets as i have only one in the sheet stash lol

thanks again for leaving a word Ernie!

I've concluded that if Karim glued two plastic spoons together & rigged them, he'd have a model.

spoons would probably provide enough lift at a high enough airspeed... rigging to hold the jig together...

:hmmm:  :piliot:

Well guys time for a quick update...

After yesterday's update i felt a bit under the weather... woke up before the flight at night feeling proper sick... during the flight back to doha, i was well and proper sick with a fever so first thing i do after landing is drive over to the company's aeromedical center to see the resident generalist. Turns out i have a throat infection, fever, and i need to be on sick leave for 4 days at least. Out the window goes the singapore flight that was planned for tomorrow, which all in all gives me 5 days at home before next flight... 5 days which i hope i will be able to put to good use working on the AEG when i feel physically able...

Today since i wasn't in the mood to work with paint and was just slouching in the living room i thought why not get the cutfiles cleaned up, properly organised and distributed... i also decided to use the printer/scanner i have at home at a much higher dpi in order to get some really good resolution 1:1 scale scans. Into Silhouette DE software, prepared the cutfiles, double checked by measuring and cross measuring the actual decals for correctness which worked out fine. Now next step is to further work the cutlines of the fuselage aft, where the night lozs bolts change direction 90* direction, so modifications were made to the cutfiles there too.

I also managed to rework the sheet that contains the masks for the sharkmouth and other 'painted on' markings by boxing in the masks, and readjusting the size of the masks to correctly reflect the size of the decals, adding along vinyl strips of 1mm, 1.5 and 2mm for rib masking if need arises.

Also, i have separated the sheets into topside plotfiles and underside plotfiles, with the correct bolt direction, as the Aviattic sheets for top and bottom are different colors.

The plan is to get the silhouette to plot off the Aviattic decal sheetsto get the cookie cut versions based on the wnw decal shapes, and the regular plotting of Oramask 810 for the paint masks.

Well, that's pretty much it for the day... took the best part of the afternoon :whistle: 

Tomorrow if i am feeling better, i will probably start tinkering with the sharkmouth and repainting the fuselage. i still havent made up my mind wether to do the sharkmouth as a positive or negative mask, and weather to have red for the inside of the mouth (it's an option that wnw states on the paint guide) or just the white...

well, below some boring yet fascinating screenshots of the finished cutfiles, a whole afternoon worth of.

until our next update stay safe and happy modelling!

Karim

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2018.45.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2018.43.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2018.44.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2018.44.

Darn. Why aren't the photos showing anymore on the post? Anyone having pb trouble today as when i submitted the post it all looked good and was working fine. Guys can you see any of the photos i posted on previous post?

Edited by karimb