Gabreski P-47D

Rob Colvin

Interesting. The first pic shows no white on the wingtops, the second pic shows white on the wingtops. Must have been an ongoing process, so those pics were clearly not of the same mission, though obviously very close in timing.

Edited by BiggTim

Interesting. The first pic shows no white on the wingtops, the second pic shows white on the wingtops. Must have been an ongoing process, so those pics were clearly not of the same mission, though obviously very close in timing.

It is my tentative belief that the first photo I added was taken after the order to paint out the upper invasion stripes was given.  I can't confirm that yet as I don't know when said order was issued.  I thought it was issued in August of 1944 but wasn't Gabreski a POW by then?

Thank you

I have watched the film again and can clearly see white stripes on wing topside edged in black

It's not clear what the underside of fuselage is but I would assume they are normal black and white

If you look at the :27 second point in the video, it looks like the stripes on top of the wings are black and white, but the fuselage stripes are white only, outlined in black

interesting

freeze the film anywhere between 0.28 and 0.38

look at the white stripe closest to the fuselage

there is clearly (to me anyway) a thin border to the stripe's edge closest to the fuselage

the other side of the stripe and the other stripes are more difficult to pick out, but having looked at the frames over and over it's enough for me to paint them the same as the upper fuselage ones ie white stripes with a thin black border, but no solid black stripes per se

I think if I do hie plane, I will just paint the stripes on the bottom of the wing, since it would appear that it spent some time that way from these photos. I'm still torn between doing this plane, or a NM one. The NM ones look so darn cool!!!

Tim