1/32 Revell (new tool) P-51D-5 Mustang

mattlow

• 1 month later...

OK, onwards with this build.

I was struck down with a nasty dose of flu which stopped me doing much at all, and last week wasn't great either. So finally this weekend I've got back on it.

26474997858_053b265394_b.jpgP-51D-5 26 by Matt Low, on Flickr

From reading about the early P-51Ds it seems they had a less extensive application of YZC in the gear bays. The wing inner skin was left unprimered but the spar, stringers and other areas were given YZC. This resulted in a laborious masking session. Result is good enough and once give a light weathering it'll look fine.

38536675700_f0a3fd4705_b.jpgP-51D-5 27 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Closer in you can see that I've filled all the indentations in the lower wing for the rocket stubs, filled some sink marks around the spent shell/link ejector chutes and I decided to open up the ejector chutes as well. This is probably not necessary but I wanted to see how it looked (still need boxing in).

Anyone got any idea what the indentation circled in red is? It should be there, I just can't figure what it is.

25474308847_e28c9e3200_b.jpgP-51D-5 27 by Matt Low, on Flickr

26474992698_b64b02d085_b.jpgP-51D-5 30 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Cockpit is coming along nicely. I've tried to maintain a sheen on the fuel tank to indicate rubber. More detail painting to do but most components are ready to go in.

38536673930_990d08c8f8_b.jpgP-51D-5 29 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Here's a crap photo of something to watch out for. I took some time to attach each rear half of the fuselage to the rest - getting the outer surfaces to have as small a step as possible (or none). Getting a good exterior fit has resulted in a small gap at the centre seam now. Not a problem as it's better to have the gap here than as a step on the fuselage skin.

26475001198_3d7f0edfc2_b.jpgP-51D-5 31 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Another small step. The Mustang had a canvas 'boot' covering all the delicate mechanism around the tail wheel leg. I am currently creating one out of Plasticine. Once it looks how I want it, I'll give it a coat of CA to seal and harden it. The original wheel strut was cut off and has been replaced with some bent steel wire... this strut looked quite delicate in plastic - I can also now pose the tail wheel at a jaunty angle.

40300953482_40af4544e4_b.jpgP-51D-5 28 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Here's another poor photo just showing how nicely the inserts for the filtered carburettor intakes fit. Revell provide three variations - solid (seen here) holes (what I'd think of as 'classic' look) and holes plus vents. I think the little intake seen on the fuselage side here needs to be removed - I believe it is an intake for the latter location of the battery..?

26475033718_87c9e611a3_b.jpgP-51D-5 32 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Finally for tonight, a couple of sundries.  To let me insert the exhaust as late i the build as possible, I've separated the chin intake and the disk that fits behind the propeller. This means I can fit and fair in the intake but leave the front of the nose open to allow access to the exhaust locations.

The other item is the alternate seat. This was apparently used as and when needed and doesn't seem directly related to specific batches. Therefore I thought why not - it'll be a bit different. I've opened up the back to give the holes a bit more of a 3D look. Not sure how much extra detail to add to this, I'll decide when I have better info on what the seat actually looked like.

26474999348_640912ef09_b.jpgP-51D-5 25 by Matt Low, on Flickr

I start this build log with a little trepidation as it often spells the kiss of death for my builds (as many of you here know.. :)).

Matt

I can certainly relate to this. I've stopped posting WIP threads altogether until I can actually (hopefully) finish something.