CT-155 Hawk

gmctaggart

This is my first post in the forum and my first group build. Having just got back into model making it seemed good to have a goal and a motivated peer group to push me to aspire for a better craftsmanship. To that end I have decided to build the CT-155 Hawk from the NATO flying Training school located at 15 wing in Moose Jaw, Canada. The kit is from Kenetic and at first glance seems like a good platform to build on. I am not using any AM on the build except for some decals from Aeroscale. Hopefully I will do the aircraft and the group proud with this build. 

aUTENl.jpg

Gord

Welcome home ! As Kev said, its a good kit. Can't wait to see how you do. And don't be afraid, no one here will give bad advice or critique ......Harv

Gord, a hearty welcome to this nutty bunch, and really would like to see your end result.

BTW, didn't know Moose Jaw was now using this aircraft, still can remember the Tutor back in the seventies......

All, thanks for the warm welcome. My skills are still rusty and I am trying different techniques and learning so much from all on this forum and through the interweb. Each kit gets me closer to achieving a high quality build. Great pictures martinnfb.  I have to give a big thank you to all those that post their walkarounds for the various aircraft out there. They are indispensable in getting the details that the kits don't have.

Now lets see how I do. I made a bit of progress on the front office. The kit has 4 parts for the seats and for something that gets a lot of attention these needed some dressing up.

86VaaG.jpg

I added some wire and some texture to the seat. I will make first excuse now, My magnification light burned out so it was difficult to get a sense the quality of the added parts. The pictures however make it clear that it needs a bit more work.

g3FRvY.jpg

QPCSgv.jpg

A bit more wiring and panels have been added and so at least construction has started. 

n0Oy6J.jpg

2SJmau.jpg

Appreciate any comments and advise. I have thick skin so rip it apart if it needs it.

Gord

welcome aboard!

I agree with harv, maybe feather the edges of the cushion putty into a smother transition.

Other then that its gonna look great with some paint, nice little detail additions go along way in the end

welcome to the forum

i finished this kit last week, but in RAF markings

the kit is a fairly straight forward build, however my advice would be to build the intakes completely before joining the fuselage, unlike the instructions as you struggle to get a fit otherwise

Thanks again everyone your comments. Harvey and Shawn, yup needed to soften out the seats so I used some Mr surfacer. A couple passes and it seemed to ease the texture. Once paint went down it seemed to help a lot more. Cluckmeitser, I had thought abut using some seats and other aftermarket parts, however I thought this would be a good chance to push my scratch building. The kit comes with a bunch of belts and I figure with a bit of scratch and a few decals from Aeroscale I can make something half way decent. I have a big line up in my stash so I figure it might be better to put some money into some of those future kits and use this one to practice and refine my skills. I have started on the intakes and exhaust and noticed these will present some challenges. the mating edges are slightly rounded and so this is creating seam inside. There is also some weird texture so I am working on cleaning these up trying to figure out this part of the construction. The assy. also looks tricky trying to line up several parts to tie into the airframe. Mark, I am not sure if you posted your build but I did see someone assemble the intakes first and then work it into the kit. This looks like a good approach.

I had a bit of time last night so threw down some primer and a bit of colour. I will be going over this again, getting the colours closer to some of my reference pictures.

JzWiWE.jpg

Still trying trying to figure out how to match the various green colours on the seat. Right now just added a dark green so I can build up some lighter tones and and have some variation in the cushion.

VsictR.jpg

Hopefully with a long weekend I can advance this into something presentable.

Gord