1/32 Mk5b Spitfire the saga continues

alan, this is another top notch build of yours. man, you are really good. i envy you for your lathe. i am happily looking forward to see paint on that beauty. the cockpit is great. i love the "white plastic" things you did.

cheers klaus

thanx guys

Sorry alaninaustria for asking a Q in your thread keep it up i looked in to the three parts you posted earlier and man you also go way beyond OOB building. But I have this Q where do you get all the plans and such to make such a thing? Wich if I may say so looks stunning B)

greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hello guys! Thanks for the nice comments..... much appreciated!

Frederick: I use the Aero Details series from Japan. Available at: www.hlj.com under the books section, from Model Graphixs.

Klaus! Thanks buddy! I am really excited about finishing up this build! It has gone on too long!

Edgar: Thanks alot! That is great info, as well as the help you gave me earlier, thanks!

Derek!! You most definitely have to fiish your Spit soon too!!!

Cheers and thanks guys..... I would love to see a real Spitfire in the same markings I will be doing!!

Alan :D :D

This is superb Alan my friend! Looks very nice. In fact of the "busy" pre-shading, it will be a very weathered bird, eh? :lol:

Did you already found the Gunze Paints you were searchin for?

The bird from the Polish Sqd. looks very cool! I like especially the white stripes on the nose and horizontal stabis!

Can´t wait to see more of it!

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Alan your Spit is coming along great.I don't want to sound like a copy-cat but that's the exact same scheme I'm doing.The 303 Sqdn. bird with the white stripes...honestly,I've been sitting on these Montex masks for quite a while thanks to Derek from Montex (great guy).From the looks of it you're a lot farther ahead than I am since I've yet to get the fuselage together.Knock em' dead kid...cheers

Hej Dave! That sounds cool! I guess we'll be having twins then eh?? Tomorrow the Sky banded tail stripe goes on and the white stripes..... hope I don't screw it up!! Those masks take so much time to get allinged etc!

Have fun modeling!!

Cheers

Alan

Hey Alan,

This is looking great mate...I like the entry door a lot, how are you fixing it to the model? Thats one of the last things I need to do on my spit and have been procrastinating

Hej Guys! I have a quick update here... this is the result of the new Montex masks for this bird.... all the national markings are on, and the serial as well as the a/c codes. All that is left to spray is the white lines on the top of the elevator and the nose section!

Patience is the key here, as well as a great tip from Jamie the "Haggis".... after spraying one color... and placing the mask back over, seal up the seams.... very important to do that because the new color will find a way in there!! Thanks Jammie... glad I got that tip from your excellent Cosair build!

Cheers

Alan :P

Ohhh.... that glare is bad.... don't mind the glare... it is a half-arsed attempt to get an update up on the thread! ;)

post-10-1152734459_thumb.jpg

And another....as you can see the micro mesh sanding/polishing pads.... I wait till the paint is good and dry (I use Gunze Aqueous thinned with isoproponol alcohol) it removes any ridge of paint that might have built up against the mask side and it levels the paint down a tad...

post-10-1152734584_thumb.jpg

And the bottom... the colors look a bit off because of the bad lighting..... took these photos right now in the midst of a big thunderstorm outside....

I still need to get some aluminum paint into those flap areas.... not really looking forward to that, but it will have to get done sometime soon! :P

post-10-1152734743_thumb.jpg

and the last one.... I just love how when the markings get painted on, the engraved detail just makes it look that much nicer! I do need better lighting for future photos! Any comments (negative or positive) are welcome.... still much work to do with this Spit!

Coolie: I will be glueing the hatch door directly on to the frame with superglue.... and I will try to not screw it up! ;)

Hope y'all enjoy the pics and the build..... I know I have!

Cheers

Alan :P

post-10-1152734841_thumb.jpg