Willy's Jeep 1/16 scale project

Joe66

So, I just picked up this Danbury Mint 1/16 Willy's Jeep for cheap... I wanted something I can use as a backdrop piece for some upcoming 120mm figures, as well as something to detail up....It should be here in a week or so.

It is already a good looking piece, but I will have fun adding a great many details to it, like brake lines, wiring, repainting and general refinement. I understand that these are out of production at this point so I was quite happy to pick it up for $55 ! - Joe

IMG_0307_zpsi3qcsvyp.jpg

Unfortunately, It is a "finished" diecast. Not a kit...I wish there was a kit available in this scale. The largest scale kit of a WWII Willy's Jeep that I'm aware of is 1/24 ( Hasegawa and Italeri/Testors ). Anyhow, I will rework this more to my liking.

Joe

Hi

From my knowledge, the largest Willy's jeep plastic kit is the 1/6 Dragon.

In die-cast you can choose this option 1/8 scale

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobile-pratique/modelisme-modeles-reduits/sujet17155.htm

http://www.automodellando.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22589&whichpage=1

raf

Edited by rafju

Hi

From my knowledge, the largest Willy's jeep plastic kit is the 1/6 Dragon.

raf

Yep, and it serves as the basis for a really detailed out model (or not), if that's what the modeler chooses. There was a guy on another site that was really going hog wild bananas on one. I've been intending to grab one for some time, but haven't,.. yet.

I always thought it was pronounced like Willie and wondered who he was until a Willys coupe went

over the block at the Barrett Jackson this year and the commentator made a point of informing the

audience the proper pronunciation sounds like 'Willis'

I have no idea, as link is not working for me. The particular thread I was referring to, was on sixtharmygroup, but I don't have a specific link. He probably posted it elsewhere too though, as many modelers frequently do.

My problem with the Gates 1/18 Jeep is that I have too many and cannot figure out what to do with them.

I bought the ones with Laurel and Hardy figures as well as one or two with the soldier cartoon characters in it.

I remove the characters to use them in my sculpture and am stuck with the left over jeeps. 

I simply have no feelings for the jeep. They leave me cold.

I guess the only way I could relate to a jeep would be if I converted it to a SAS vehicle with machine guns and stuff all over it. 

I could always convert two into the 3 axle version, which is pretty rare. I saw one in an auto scrap yard in Kentucky back in 1966. But I will never spend my time restoring anything someone else invented and built. 

Still, I could mount a 106 recoiless rifle on one and give it some kick.

Oh well, something to think about.  :hmmm:

Stephen

I have no idea, as link is not working for me. The particular thread I was referring to, was on sixtharmygroup, but I don't have a specific link. He probably posted it elsewhere too though, as many modelers frequently do.

It's curious as it works to me here...

I put it complete without http =>

www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/232947-recon-jeep-serang-update-photos.html

• 3 weeks later...

As a Jeep guy THIS is right up my ally!   Ive always contemplated the DML 1/6th "US 1/4th Ton 4x4 Truck"s, since obviously DML was unwilling to spend the mooolah, to go to FCA and get the buyoff on the Willys-Overland name/likeness.

Willys-Overland initially was bought out by AMC in the early 70s when Kaiser decided to get out of making cars completely. Renault purchased a majority stake in AMC later that decade, and took over the operating lines of AMC, producing the venerable CJ Jeeps prior to Chrysler buying AMC in 1987. By 1997 AMC had already started production on the YJ/first "Wrangler" making the overtly HORRIBLE decision (IMHO anyway) to deviate from the previous look of the Jeep, and made the headlights square.  

In 2014, the "Willys" name/trademark was acquired by an Italian coach builder who 2 years previous had THEIR trademark purchased by a Chinese manufacturer (keeping operations in Italy) and in turn with FCA, then brought out a new JK (current model of the Jeep Wrangler and one I personally own), Willys version, keeping the name sake up to date. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Ive always contemplated the DML 1/6th "US 1/4th Ton 4x4 Truck"s, since obviously DML was unwilling to spend the mooolah, to go to FCA and get the buyoff on the Willys-Overland name/likeness.

That kit has been on my "want list" for quite some time too. I'll get one, eventually. Once I began work on the Dragon 1:6 20mm Flak gun, I was hooked.