1:350 'Soya' Icebreaker

Iain

Severe bout of AMS/can't get motivated/everything I touch turns to ratsh%t at present.

Managed to coax myself into trying to break the cycle with something very different by returning to my Soya project...

Bridge area now assembled in sub-components - windows masked - painted - masks removed - decalled.

Now waiting for decals to thoroughly dry before weathering and attaching to model.

Funnel painted and blue band decal added - letting that dry too.

Said it before - but I take my hat off to the nautical modelling types - patience of saints and skills of a jeweller!

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7862.JPG

IMG_7863.JPG

Bridge area weathered and assembled - looks a little better now.

Work commenced on fo'c'sle with vents(?) and hold covers...

IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7866.JPG

For my next trick I *may* have a go at a figure after some good tutelage from Jerry and Dan at Telford the other week.

Iain (the ship newbie)

Thanks guys - planks were done with careful masking and spraying slightly differing shades - before applying dark wash. I used about four 'plank' shades in all.

Strips of masking tape cut to the width of 1:350 planks - to mask random planks ready for overspray in slightly different shade:

re2005517.JPG

re2005518.JPG

And with a lighter shade of base misted over:

re2005519.JPG

Iain

• 3 months later...

Back on the little icebreaker this evening - mainly concentrating on the base.

This has been made with textured watercolour paper - painted sea blue and affixed to an MDF base. Still building up colour - hence the masking tape - but the texture is starting to look good! Will need a lot of glossing for that 'wet' look!

Also dug out some thick perspex which I'll use to make some ice smile.png

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

A little more done on the ship - the funnel and a start made on some of the detail parts - photos to follow.

Iain

Great start (or continuation ?).

This is one I have in my ever-growing stash...I'll follow your build with interest. After I spent - succesfully- 3 hours on a 1/600 f'csle winch for a Mauretania kit (always loved these four-funneled ladies - so much better-looking than nowadays' cheap-condos blocks on water), I decided that this was time to get back to 1/32 aircrafts, less eye-straining ...

I hope this will be the same for you, and we'll see more of your 1/32 builds when your mojo has come back from the ices of the Antartic !

Hubert