1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Guest Peterpools

Peter

I simply sit in wonderment ... even following step by step .. I just can figure out how you do it.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks, I have missed you :)

so, back from Miami and while I won't bore you with a travelogue, I can say it was a sensational trip and again I am in love with the life there... just got to keep doing the Lottery :)

as for the Spit, I have only had an hour or two, but even in that short time learned a valuable lesson..

here is the filler cap for the fuel tank behind the seat - the best shot I have of it anyway...

WIP1237_zpsuo8tndoc.jpg

..I turned the parts from brass hexagonal stock and added rivets around the edge..

WIP1238_zpsheozited.jpg

..dry fitted together it looks like this - a circular cap with two lugs on it goes on the very top...

WIP1240_zpsydtq7y2r.jpg

..then came the lesson - I looked for a pic of TZ138 to see what colour it was and found a completely different fitting (and note the pop-on / pop-off cover surrounding it..)....

WIP1235_zpsvgn2yeyo.jpg

..lesson being; start looking at your subject first, then find references to compare, not find good references and assume thats what your subject is like :ninja:

..it also opened out another question - this is TZ138 at the time - look at the filler pipe - to me it looks like the same colour as the canopy frame and I thought maybe as it was sponsored by ESSO that maybe they painted the fuel pipe corporate colours? I suppose it's possible - it's that or the same green as the tank - one to seek opinion on so over to you?

WIP1234_zpsf41pxm0g.jpg

..I also noticed in this shot the lugs on the cap are different sizes and the cap is weathered brass..

WIP1236_zpsiiv2y2qn.jpg

..it didn't take long to make up a pipe like the one in the pic - and I tried to use an old bit of brass that had some age to it and preserve the finish while making the cap part..

WIP1239_zpscefa2v2t.jpg

..made up a dummy skin panel to start to get the feel for the fitting angle and position - this is just roughed out for now..

WIP1241_zpsuljvvmaw.jpg

WIP1242_zps5tfrtahf.jpg

Coming along in spades, two things spring to mind, you never did drill that control lock hole in the seat  :hmmm: and are you not Putting the leather cover on the seatback?

:popcorn:

Hi Tony, thanks for stopping by - I guess I forgot that hole, and now it's too late to add a cushion - my story is it has been removed for cleaning after it was 'soiled' in a hair raising air race :)

TTFN
Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Welcome back - glad you're spoiled by Miami Beach - nothing like it.

It's hard to explain how I can just marvel at a gas filler pipe and cap .. but I am. beautiful work and as true as it gets.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Welcome back Peter! 

Did you even unpack before getting back to the bench? :) I absolutely understand where you're coming from here; photos of the back end of the B-17D are an absolute minefield of conflicting details..... even the shots I have of the Swoose contradict each other..... sometimes you've just got to go with what looks best. 

Unfortunately for you, everything you do looks incredible so thats probably not much help..... anyway, glad you back and looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Craig

HE'S BACK!!! :m0152: 

Blimey! That seemed quick! Did the pilot manage to engage reverse thrust on landing before you hopped off the plane and got back to the workbench??

Great work on that filler pipe, and I can sympathise about the reference photos. Amazing how details can look different from various angles, or just be a completely different fitting depending on the airframe. Interesting position on the filler. One messy Erk, and you could have a cockpit floor full of fuel!

Best regards;
Steve