1/32nd Ju 87B

Mark P

Hello Mark,

Excellent initiative to release such sets!

I've nonetheless one question: For T6+AN, did you find other pictures than the ones extracted from a newsreel used in a Luftwaffe in focus publication? I'm wondering as they state that clearly the snake patches were sand rather than red. Personally, I cannot say what was the color of the patches on those snake planes but I think that their hypothesis is just more probable than the red one. However, they do not give any hard fact proving their analysis.

Moreover, looking closely at the known pictures of T6+DP, I'm seeing a tint variation between the snake patches and the light color of the camouflage (sand). So, if this is sand rather than red, this is a darker tint of sand. Accordingly, the red becomes again a logical solution amongst different ones.

I know that analysing B&W pictures is as easy as black magic but what do you think?

Thierry:

We opted to provide markings for T6+AN based solely on the photos and profile in LiF #7. In my opinion, the stills provided are not the best for this aircraft and the colors can be difficult, if not impossible to interprete from them. T6+AN was selected, as opposed to T6+DP as the complete stammkennzeichen under the wings is unknown for T6+DP. There was just to many questions vis-a-vie "DP" that we couldn't consider it. Given that accuracey is a cornerstone of our work at EE, Jerry and I opted for the alternative scheme as there were less "provisional" features to consider.

As you are well aware, the interpretation of German colors can be challenging to say the least. So much so that books have been wrtitten about it. Factor in non-standard colors on these Ju 87's from St.G/ 2 and the true colors of these colorful "Snake" Stukas may never be known.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Bill

Yes, the aircraft is from 209 Squadriglia, 96 Gruppo. We opted for this aircraft to provide something a little different from the ordinary and to recognize the role the Stuka played in Italian service.

Mark Proulx

Yes, the aircraft is from 209 Squadriglia, 96 Gruppo. We opted for this aircraft to provide something a little different from the ordinary and to recognize the role the Stuka played in Italian service.

Thanks, Mark, I have a genuine interest in RA aircraft, both Italian manufacture and German. I presume it comes with national markings, etc?

Hi Mark!

I appreciate this frank feedback. I know how much this may be frustrating struggling to find the info to make decals!

As you haven't found another source, the scheme stays open to personal analysis and logical hypothesis. Thanks again.

I'll buy this one as I love the two schemes!

Yes, it can be difficult at times. Good references are vital to us as accuracy is an important part of our work. Profile artists need only worry about one side. To create decals, we have to worry about all sides. Unfortunately, this allows provisional statements to creep in for us, though we try are hardest to limit that.

For the "Snake" Stuka, it is unknown if the markings were even applied to the right side! No photos exist. It is interesting to note that the recent artwork in Kagero of the scheme only shows these markings applied to the left side.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Yes, national markings for the wing undersides only. Markings on top of the wings were obliterated as verified in photos.

Thanks, Mark, I built a RA Bf109 for another site I work for, and am familiar with the way the Italians painted over the Luftwaffe markings. It's actually one of the things that makes their "conversions" more attractive esthetically to me: variability. Thanks for clarifying.