HK Models 1/32 B17G

Vynce804

Thank you for the  kind comments,  I loved building this model and I'm glad everyone likes it as much as I do.  

Martin,  My display cabinet!…thats a good question!  I think i will mount it on the wall  and there is a mounting bracket with the kit,  but as i don't want it to get dusty i will have to make some sort of cover for it  Ill post an update once its finally in its new home!  

Chris,  I don't have a WIP thread but though I would go through how I achieved the paint and weathering so here goes:

PAINT

Upper surface:  is Gunze H52,  then H52 and H79 1:1 mix to post shade  the centre of each panel no matter how small!  and then then H52 and H79 4:1 thinned with 80% thinner  and applied in very thin coats to bring the paint together and blend the previous steps.  This last step is the most critical as its easy to put too much on and loose the contrast you are looking for.  My rule of thumb is when you think you need one more coat STOP!  subsequent weathering steps and clear coats will further reduce the contrast

Lower surface is Tamiya Neutral grey XF53 lightened with sky grey XF19  and treated in a similar way to the above.

Once I was happy with the paint i applied a gloss coat Tamiya X22 ,  it was the first time i had used it but really liked the way it went on.

DECALS

Decals next,  i found they wouldn't sit into the fine detail very well so had to attack them with a knife and rivet wheel (very satisfying!)  if i had to do it again i would paint the markings.

once happy another gloss goat.

WEATHERING

Panel wash was MIG Dark Wash 

Then adding highlights and lowlights using yellow and burnt umber oils,  concentrating where i thought the light would catch the airframe and where i thought the shadows would be.  I kept this very subtle and if i did it again i would probably be bolder with the highlights.  I then applied a satin coat.  

So first step of the main weathering was the characteristic streaking from the engines.  I know i should have done this with highly thinned acrylic but didn't have the confidence so airbrushed oils instead.  this isn't something i have done before but seemed to work well (be sure to use good ventilation, a spray booth and respirator!).  The base colour for the oily grime was burnt umber and black in a 3:1 ratio,  I thinned (80%)it with Humbrol enamel thinner and then sprayed the streaks from the nacells back across the wings,  constantly referring to reference material.  I then mixed burnt umber and black, this time 1:1 and added some finer detail to the streaks to give them some texture and depth.  Once happy I applied a further satin coat.

Next was the general grimy look to the airframe and especially the wings due to the engine oil being spread around the airframe by the ground crew.  Turning back to the 3:1 oil mix i would add very small amounts of oil in the general area i was working and then using a small DRY stubby brush i would work the oil in a systematic way all the time referring to photos.  Often the brush becomes overloaded and you can tell as you seem to loose control so i would regularly unload the brush on a paper towel.  i open find it better to jab at the oil and work it with the brush more vertically as if stippling. Once happy with the effect you can further blend it with a large dry brush,  its best to leave the oil to settle and dry for a couple of hours before this step.  I then applied a further satin coat before repeating the process with my 1:1 mix,  this time concentrating on the high traffic areas and blending into the previous step. once again at the end of this stage a thin satin coat was applied to lock in what had been done

Finally i did the engine nacells  and here i applied small amount of oil at the leading edge and then used my finger to draw it back in the direction of the airflow  and also blend as needed.  Finally the large flat brush was employed again to soften and blend.

Matt coat this time as all the oil work was finished and now onto chipping with a prismacolor silver pencil.  I kept this quite light as reference photos seem to show that the majority of these aircraft didn't chip too badly.

And that was it  final unmasking and assembly and it was completed.  Oils are great for weathering as they give lots of control and if you mess up(as i did) you can wipe it all away and start again!

Hope the above is useful.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by Vynce804