F9F-5 Panther VMF-311 Ted Williams UPDATE 4/21 Major Progress!

LSP_Paul

Paul - some fantastic progress for a guy trucking all over Oregon!  Those HVAR look menacing with the RAM warheads.

Slow nothing!  You're way ahead of me!

Mike

Mike, I don't think my Kit has as many parts as yours does  :)

The RAM warheads  should look cool with the 500 lb bombs under the wings as well. I'm hoping I can get some wheel well detailing and  wiring etc done today.

Thanks for checking in on my build.

Paul 

More Progress to report!  I just cant help myself, some things  need doin' :)  The Excellent fisher Panther is a bit devoid of detail as far as wiring and hoses etc in the wheel wells, but the actual bays them selves are great!  What I did was remove the cast in ledges that would allow you to build the aircraft gear up, and then carefully sheeted the interior of the wheel wells with .005 plastic sheet. This stuff is about as thin as heavy typing paper , and will allow me to now glue plastic detail parts that I will make for structures and hoses etc directly to the  sheeted interior using normal liquid glue. IT may look rough in the pics, but it is all nice and smooth in the real world. Unfortunately the closed main gear center doors don't fit very well due to resin shrinkage. I will fir these out so they fit tight with strips of thin styrene soon.\

post-3619-0-56212200-1425874587_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-35569200-1425874572_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-80933800-1425874618_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-82443900-1425874635_thumb.jpg

After I have the interior of the  bays filled out a bit with wires hoses etc, I will take a piece of .010x020 and run it right up to the edge of the bay opening to create the look of the undercut or recessed detail that's not currently present on the model. That strip will then get faired into the surrounding body work and hopefully look like it came that way from Paul's shop. More pics when I have more stuff installed to show ya.

Thanks for stopping in to check on my model,

Paul 

Guest Clunkmeister

Looking good, buddy! I'm lagging behind, as usual. My 'pit is looking good now, needs a bit of drybrushing still, cleaning up resin pour marks on the big parts and filling any voids found.

I spent early this morning scrubbing all the rest of the parts in soap and water, big mistake, got Palmolive hands and used up the hot water. We had cold showers.

I like your approach on the gear bays. The little bits and stuff, of which plenty of plumbing should be there, is gonna be a chore. I was going to ignore most of it, but it will be good exercise, so I'll follow along and do it too.

Awesome build. It wouldn't be Ted Williams if it didn't toss you a curve and a change up along with all the fastballs...

Looking forward to seeing your detailing of the wheel wells and looking to learn a thing or two!

Mike

Mike, not sure how much you'll learn, but I'm glad you're watchin!  :)

All the best,

Paul 

So today's update is for My Build buddy partner Ernie.

Here is some shots of the new left side console in progress, it looks a lot more rough up close and magnified, but I think with a couple of small adjustments and a couple more toggle switch bases, it's going to be a nice improvement.

What comes in the kit, painted

post-3619-0-92158200-1426277354_thumb.jpg

New Left Console Master in progress, these will be cast in resin and installed for further detailing and painted when I sand off the existing detail from the tub.

post-3619-0-80597800-1426277369_thumb.jpg

What we want it to look like 

post-3619-0-34303500-1426277415_thumb.jpg

Here is the progress so far on the structure of the forward wing spar. The round parts are where the actuator arms for the  large center main landing gear doors will connect. Lots more detail to add here but you have to build it up in layers starting with the basic structure.

post-3619-0-89206900-1426277387_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in on my build,

Paul 

Thanks Peter. It's amazing what you see with extreme closeups :hmmm:  I'll have to switch to 1/18th scale in a few years! :rofl:  Seriously though, under black paint and with a few clean ups I think this will look good.

Thanks for following along and glad ya like it,

Paul 

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm a bit behind you on the gear bay, Paul. I have them sheeted and am now contemplating what to add. Mine will be a static model, not a contest winner, but I'll be doing some additions, though probably not as crazy as you are.

However, I AM contemplating cutting out the bays for the belly flaps, even though I risk ruining the wing casting.

My idea is a cat shot pose, much as I did for the Raider, and these flaps were down during takeoff.

I guess if I do it and end up destroying the wing casting, a call to the good Mr. Fisher is 10 numbers away....

Guest Peterpools

Right with you Paul ... close up photos are the true equalizers and at times show way too much. I'm getting up there and just being able to see the details is an achievement.

Keep 'em coming

Peter