New 1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- 322Sqn R.Netherlands East Indies AF-

Big Tony

Lovely progress of the Spit Tony - glad your back isn't quite as bad as your initial fears, hope your recovery is speedy.

Regarding brush painting, you've got a great knack going there. I caught this quick tutorial on brush painting with oils the other day - not sure if you've ever thought of trying them -

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Hi Tony, so pleased to see a WIP from you here mate. If you are the same Tony (which I suspect you are) from Britmodeller, then you need not be afraid ole chum! Your work is superb and personally from what I have seen you also have a good grip on colours etc.

Cheers and great update!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

Yup that`s me,......fair and square....and  thanks for your very kind words. 

All the best mate,

Tony.

Lovely progress of the Spit Tony - glad your back isn't quite as bad as your initial fears, hope your recovery is speedy.

Regarding brush painting, you've got a great knack going there. I caught this quick tutorial on brush painting with oils the other day - not sure if you've ever thought of trying them -

Torben

Thanks Torben,

Glad you like the Spitfire and cheers for your kind wishes regarding my back!

Thank you also for the very interesting video,.....there are some great ideas to try there and I will definitely have a go, he seems to use a very similar style of brushwork to myself using thin coats especially as I tend to scuff and dry brush polish on my final coats once I have achieved a decent coverage,....rather than slapping on thick layer after thick layer.

I did try oils for weathering but found them hard to use and the paint was probably too dry too,.....however the use of a large `polishing' brush is very good advice and I will re try this using a large brush to blend the colours together.  

Cheers again and all the best wishes,

Tony.

Nice work Tony, I would not have the patience (or skill) for brush painting but like everything in life I like seeing what people who know what they are doing can achieve and your painting is pretty amazing. Take it easy with the back, it is very easy to overdo it when you start to feel a bit better.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

Each to their own really mate,.....I doubt if I would have the patience for all of the masking involved with airbrushing,...nor the skill involved either in this dark art in which you all seem to partake in! As for over doing things,...... you must know what I`m like,...... the missus went bonkers when she caught me hobbling on my crutches en route to the porch with the Spitfire balanced in one hand and a rattle can of yellow paint in my pocket,..... it bloody hurt too! 

Here is another update today,...... I`m still not walking yet but have been able to get a bit more done on the settee in front of Easter TV!

A couple more coats of Polly Scale Foliage Green were applied and I decided to do without a last coat of Humbrol 75 as I was quite happy with the colour already which will darken under a coat of gloss varnish;

DSCF0147_zpsmaxzpcnt.jpg  

DSCF0148_zpsgzlbzcyq.jpg

Then I masked off the areas for the black anti glare panel and wing walks as well as the yellow wing leading edges. For the black I used Humbrol acrylic 33 with some flow agent as a thinner to make it easier to brush on and it only took one coat;

DSCF0151_zpsnf7ijiwq.jpg

I meant to add too, that to make the seat cushion look more realistic I filled in the unrealistic moulded detail, scored some lines into the plastic and then added a piece of black painted masking tape to replicate the leather cushion cover. I will dry brush it with some brown later to represent a bit of wear and tear.

l

And here is my workplace on my trusty tray with crutches close to hand;

DSCF0160_zps45x4rjto.jpg

Masking off after the black and yellow were applied,....the yellow was applied using a rattle can in the porch which was extremely painful but worth the hassle of brush painting this awful colour. Next job is to brush on a coat of Humbrol 33 enamel gloss varnish;

DSCF0158_zpshwlyvfax.jpg

Gloss varnish applied,......once it has dried it is time for the decals;

DSCF0162_zpstgpsc9jf.jpg

DSCF0163_zpsiesakdrf.jpg

Hopefully the varnish has darkened the green enough,..although the colour does look lighter against a blue background than in real life...if not, then I suppose that they did become quite sun bleached!

Cheers

Tony

PS,.... although I followed an official pattern, photos shown that I need to alter the anti glare panel slightly on the fuel tank cover,.....which I shall do in the morning. 

Edited by Big Tony

Hiya Folks,

Another update today,......I`ve got most of the decals on now, but they were very thin and I had a disaster with some of them! I lost one of the number `5`s' when it curled up into a rubbery little ball,......so I`ve tried to make a new number from bits of the left over ones,....it is still a work in progress! The bombs on the nose are meant to be wonky too;

DSCF0167_zpsyxvwv5tb.jpg

DSCF0166_zpspxg7xghc.jpg

DSCF0165_zpsgd1nrkwy.jpg

The serial MH424 on the tail is supplied in black but it could also be white, as applied to the one at Duxford,.....so as the 2nd black serial was unusable due to a printing error and my lash up also curled up into a rubbery little ball,.....I shall make up a white serial on the right hand side from Xtradecal generic serials.

Cheers

Tony

Guest Peterpools

Tony

First and foremost, be ever so much more careful and thank goodness you didn't require any additional surgeries.

Very nice work on front office and as with Kev, I'm very much impressed with your hand painting skills. Very much appreciated the how too as it will now become another tool in the tool chest as needed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That's really cool! Good old school - you're using the brush to do real miracles.

There's maybe some surface variation (fading, dust) still needed, but it is also possible to make it with a brush (would try drybrushing and some pigments) :).
Thanks for showing the workshop, very inspiring.

​Best regards

Hubert

Thanks folks,

Well a bit more progress,.....I`ve fixed the dodgy number `5' on the right side of the fuselage and finally got a coat of matt`ish' varnish on the model, ready for a bit of weathering with watercolours, enamels and pigment powders.

DSCF0191_zpsmnjons9q.jpg

DSCF0192_zpsxmp6rva0.jpg

Cheers

Tony