Desert Hunter ala Abu Dhabi DONE

marauderdriver

Guest Peterpools

Jack

The Hunter's cammo looks terrific and always a pleasure to see a color scheme not often done

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank You MARU and Peter,

Your kind words are appreciated and I agree that this scheme is Cool

I'm addicted to desert camo especially the British colors, but I'm not

hard edging the pattern as I prefer the blend of soft edge except the

line between the blue and top colors has a red cheat line decal that

requires a straight line.

I hope I can finish it by Friday night

Stay tuned

Jack

Well had a development with my compressor and it will only put out 20 psi and should run 100 to fill up a 3 gallon tank

not sure what happened but afraid I my have to replace it today..........Camera money takes a hit.... Oh Well

I changed my normal sequence do to malfunctioning compressor,  but allows me to progress....just in a little different order

At 20 psi I can probably do all my airbrush work ( I normally work at 30 -40 psi    20 makes  spatter)  So I'am doing glosscoat

and watercolor wash then color bleaching in top camo........Its Freezeing and wet/icy and do not want to cross the river bridge.

I just don't know how long this thing will run??????????

Here are some glosscoat  and watercolor sludge wash...............IMAG0218.jpgIMAG0207.jpgIMAG0228.jpgIMAG0229.jpgIMAG0226.jpgand I do mean watercolors

Guest Peterpools

Hi Jack

Nice progress with the watercolor wash. Sorry about your compressor taken a deep six but some how, they always know when the worst time is to quit. Everyone sure works differently, as I shoot between 12-20 psi and never any higher. Good luck on finding a good replacment

Peter

Brian    That is what I started using about 10 or so years after I blended washes with Tamiya and dish soap  These stick when acrylic washes don't.

And they will stain, which I like, once I figured it out.  Thank You Sir

Peter    Well the compressor is putt-ing  at 20 psi and I've kept moving along wiped off the watercolors  and thinned my paint and proceeded

to paint the fade coats on the camo and the blue bottom and managed to get  them laid on without too much trouble....

I still have a SPATTER problem at this pressure but worked it out mostly and will be OK.IMAG0248.jpgIMAG0258.jpgIMAG0261.jpg

Well the Aero Mater decals started cracking only after the 4 big roundels were placed,so I kept my fingers crossed and got most of them on. except

the red Cheat Line decal was too broken-up and I don't have time to paint it, so i'm Cheating the Cheat Line.

spent way too much time on the Aero master decals I didn't stencil anything.

How do you use an airbrush at 20psi or less and NOT  SPATTER the thing............I'm having mixed emotions ..........I can't stop it except by more psi........IMAG0284.jpgIMAG0316.jpgIMAG0326.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Jack

Decals look really good and cracking seems to be coming more and more of a problem these days.

As far as air brushing goes Jack, I've always painted at a low psi' and mostly around 12 psi working/flow pressure. No splattering at all. I just thin the paint (I always use the same thinning ratios depending on the paint) and never had a problem of spitting.; paint flows on smooth as silk.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

IMAG0370.jpgIMAG0364.jpgIMAG0368.jpgIMAG0363.jpgIMAG0338.jpgHi Peter

I don't know if its mental(HAHAHA) or what, but I've tried allkinds of  paint /thinner ratios, enamels,acrylcs, airbrush's, paint consistency

from syrup to water and the closest I've come is a double action, but still have spatter problems.

I can spray a nice tight line at 30 and tighter at 40psi, but you get down to 20 and spatter city.

I did get a new Iwata Neo as I wanted a gravity feed to try to defeat the Spatter Bug Within, but haven't had a chance to use it yet?

Anyway .....I Futured the model, dry-brushed and used my "Shades of Gray (not the book)in the panel lines and will flat coat next

2 more working days left...................this is gonna be close

And my Baby Girl coming to check my progress!IMAG0366.jpg.

Guest Peterpools

Paint spitting isn't normal and there is definitely a problem. What paint/thinners are you using and ratios? Normally when the paints spits, it's too thick and collects at the tip of the gun and when enough paint has accumulated at the tip, the air brush will spit it onto the model. If the paint is spitting 100% of the time; the paint isn't mixed well or bad paint or the air brush is the problem.

My normal shooting at 12-15 "working pressure"

Tamiya paint: Thinned with Tamiya Yellow Cap thinner: 60 parts thinner to 40 parts paint.

Model master Enamels:  40% MM Thinner to 60% paint and sometimes 30/70.

Iwata HP-CS Eclipse

I also shoot very close to the model - no more the 1-2 inches from the surface

How bad is the humidity when you paint?

I'm starting to think it's your air brush. Do some testing with you Neo and see what happens.

Good luck

Peter

IMAG0386.jpgIMAG0391.jpgIMAG0390.jpgIMAG0384.jpgIMAG0389.jpgIMAG0385.jpgIMAG0074.jpgoops how that get there?Hey Peter,

I know, HUUH?   I am in agreement with you ,except my working pressure is 30--40 and has been cause I get spatter at 20, and don't know why?

All the things you do, I do, at a higher psi.......................................I guess I'm in an "Off By THAT Much" !  world, but this is Louisiana..............voodoo that who do!

Bought new compressor Sparmax Airstream from Hob Lob with 40% OFF coupon and broke out the Neo and pulled my hair out til I realized that  

the flat acrylic is drying in the tip...........now I remember another reason why I don't use acrylics........much........and needed needle adjustment, but still at 40

but will experiment with a old" Revell Paint experiment".and get on the right track.  I'm just curious why I cannot seem to get lower psi without spatter as

I know there are advantages to low psi, but 30--40 has worked for me for years.  Twilight Zone !!!

I think I'll get out 1 of my British Lightnings  with a 3 gray camo, blue tail Lightning Training Flight F3

I'll post the flat coat pics soon

IMAG0405.jpgThank You MARU,   Well it's 6 am Saturday,3 hrs before Game Time and I'am calling her DONE and take her to the SHOW.

I'm not realty happy with the dull coat as now having trouble with  "white specks, but don't have time to

f        fool with it . I'll post pics after today   Gotta GO !!      I love contest as long as it's not mine.IMAG0406.jpgIMAG0413.jpgIMAG0395.jpg