SH P-39Q 'Spare Parts'

CANicoll

Minor update since I'm really waiting on the new canopy and masks.  Also been working on a HobbyCraft 1/32 Nieuport and having some (self inflicted) issues I think are pretty much over now.

For Spare Parts did a bit more work getting the color PE onto the doors - save the handles which I put on last as they are likely to get knocked off in the meantime.

Still using the Vallejo acrylics over primer.  Thought about doing the doors in a different interior green - as if coming from different aircraft and perhaps field repainted, but pretty much kept the same shade.

Using a black/gray for the tire color, and aluminum for the hubs.

5gLktK.jpg

nk01Qc.jpg

The resin exhausts were painted in steel, then dry brushed with rust, dry brushed with black, then dusted with rust powder and a final dusting with a light gray powder.  The interior of the exhausts is painted with black gray.  I will go back and repaint the inside of the exhaust in a flat black.  The gray black is not dark enough.

4bx3i7.jpg

More to come!

Chris

Latest update:

Ok, put down a coat of primer to see how it looks and see just how hopeless I was with the seams.  Overall, not horrible news.  But a few things first:

1.  This is one of the first P-39 kits I've built whose doors actually fit into their openings well.  The right side (which I will have open) fits like a dream and the left side seems to fit well, but might need just a bit of adjustment.  So good news!

s3Cmof.jpg

VnYeOd.jpg

That is still the cracked canopy I'm using as a temporary mask.

2.  The Vallejo black primer is actually gloss, not flat like the white is:

nZdxLC.jpg

I painted a set of 1/48 scale B-17G Monogram wings in preparation for a White Basing/Black Basing demo I'll do at one of our club meetings.  Cool stuff.

So back to the Airacobra.  I also noticed that when I sprayed the primer, the first coat is fairly translucent.  Subsequent coats get you the nice black (and glossy) color.

YWctgJ.jpg

7XlHvJ.jpg

XvN0qE.jpg

Also did the bits and bobs that go along with it...

XcfAbW.jpg

While glossy, it is not the smoothest of finishes - but it is a primer!

riwbYG.jpg

Definitely some work to do, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

n1xdsN.jpg

So am going to let the primer dry for a couple of days (and continue working on the HobbyCraft Nieuport 17), hope the new canopy and masks arrive, and get working on the landing gear which right now is all painted and just needs some assembly and detailing.  

Thanks for looking, as always, comments are welcomed.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

So checking in with Special Hobby it seems that the canopy and masks I've ordered are on backorder so got to work on the resin tires and wheels, and the landing gear.

Here are the main gear with and without the other side piece.  The nose wheel has the three PE backing plates in place for the wheel covers.

I4uhsX.jpg

And a close up of the nose wheel - never saw those ejector marks until I saw the photos...

MFqFkV.jpg

So for some reason decided to add the brake lines to the main gear.  I took some of the model ignition wire, and stripped the insulation for the bottom metal tubing, leaving the insulation on to model the rubber hose part at the top of the gear.

JpDNIp.jpg

And painted and shortened

AkxmqT.jpg

Bare metal foil for the oleos.  Fun build!!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Terrific progress on the P-39. Grey primer looks very smooth a and I couldn't see any imperfections at all. Black primer and those nasty leading edge intakes ... just a bit more work and considering how far you have already come, those pesky parts need a bit more filler and you will have then whipped into shape.

Looking so good

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Quick update:

Hoping to finish my P-39 seam work this evening.  Been using the Vallejo gray primer lately - and Peterpools is right - it is not glossy like the black primer is, but I'm having trouble with coverage - the white putty shines right through.  Will hit it with the black tonight and see how it looks.

I do have a little more work to do on one of the intake seams.  I think I completely missed it first time around.

Checked Special Hobby and looks like the replacement canopy still has not shipped so if that is the case, stay tuned on what's next!

Chris

Kind of a quick update, but planning more for later.

So I laid down a coat of black to check out panel lines, etc.  Was VERY disappointed in the finish, using Tamiya X-1.  I thought I blew the airbrushing (and maybe I did), but even after wet sanding and polishing, it still looked VERY grainy.  I was not quite sure what I was going to do with that.  

Then I was painting some bits for the Do 335, this time using the Vallejo black, and the difference between the two is striking...

vlyUFf.jpg

This is after sanding with 4000, 6000, 8000 sanding pads.  It is SMOOOOTTTHHHH.. but still looks like orange peel.

Then after seeing how the Do 335 bits turned out, turned the Vallejo onto the P-39...

7ONscR.jpg

That is without any finishing work.  Just Vallejo black and gloss mixed together at a 3:1 ratio (on top of the thinner and flow improver).

Comparing directly:

naJfEY.jpg

For some reason I just do not shoot the Tamiya paints very well.  Model Master - definitely but fast running out of that. Vallejo is getting better. Oh well.

Oh, and here is a sneak peak at another project I'm finishing up....

wj4ylT.jpg