Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

As my F-5 is nearing completion I thought I would start getting organised with my next build.

Thought about putting it on WIP but its pretty cosy here and Russ built a G6 so I suppose its kind of relevant.

I also thought it might be a bit different to try and keep what the end result will (hopefully) be for a bit of a laugh in keeping with the general mood on this forum.

There are some members who helped me with the initial research some time back.

So Radu, Steve(Wumm), Nick(nmayhew) and David E Brown please keep quiet if you remember your help to me in the past.

I have been considering this project for some time as it directly relates to my late father(1st clue!). Towards the end of last year I started

gathering bits and pieces but the Has G-6 was as rare as rocking horse manure so it was on the back burner until Hannants suddenly had them in stock so I grabbed one quick.

Apart from some masks for the markings I am pretty much ready to go.

So here's what I've got which may give some of you ideas.

P6161033.jpg

I wasn't familiar with the kit and the build will need a detailed engine so imagine my surprise when I discovered it hadn't got one so I bought this and few extra goodies!

P6161036.jpg

Yes Radu, I had to have a set of your belts!

I'm also going to use a few bits from this:

P6161039.jpg

Maybe something from here:

P6161041.jpg

May need a fair bit of this:

P6161042.jpg

Got lots of this. Maybe if there is any of the grass left over I could try smokin' it! :speak_cool:

P6161047.jpg

And I might use a little bit of this:

P6161055.jpg

Now what might help is to show you what I WON'T be using and is heading for the spares box!

Don't need these(Sorry Radu I WILL use your framing set one day!)

P6161049.jpg

Don't need this stuff:

P6161052.jpg

Or these, she's going to be "Gear Up"!

P6161053.jpg

So there you have it!

Coming to this forum soon!

Phil :thumbsup:

..........I have been considering this project for some time as it directly relates to my late father(1st clue!).

If you dont mind me asking Phil (please feel free to decline if it is personal) how does the build relate to your late father?

Just curious on that, as it sounds like it may have an interesting story behind the build.

Cheers,

Brian

If you dont mind me asking Phil (please feel free to decline if it is personal) how does the build relate to your late father?

Just curious on that, as it sounds like it may have an interesting story behind the build.

Cheers,

Brian

Hmm let me see.....

Don't want to give too much away.....

Dad was in the RAF for 40 years including serving throughout WW2.

He was an engineer so he didn't shoot him down.

Lets just say he and his lads took Mr Hannak "into custody"

Another clue, it was an island in Europe and very hot

Phil :speak_cool:

Another clue, it was an island in Europe and very hot.....

Sicily?

Isles of Scilly?

Isle of Wight?

Sardinia?

Lobbing some guesses here........but know nothing of temps and whatnot....

Brian

Sicily?

Isles of Scilly?

Isle of Wight?

Sardinia?

Lobbing some guesses here........but know nothing of temps and whatnot....

Brian

Not far from Sicily!

Phil

Steve,

Your flavour choice is spot on!

Glad you remembered!!

Might need to pick your brains a bit soon when I get near painting time if you don't mind.

Trying to sort out the right sizes for stencils for the fuse and underwing codes.

As you may remember she's got underwing codes and "ghost" codes on the fuse so I can use the "negatives" of the stencils for those.

Phil

I've obviously got the full fat version of my Dad's photo (stbd side) which I scanned in at high res so I can zoom in.

I've also got the photo David Brown sent me just after landing which shows the port side details so most of its covered.

If you want either pm me an e-mail and you can have them in better detail than I am able to post here.

Thanks again.

Phil

Hm...interesting

So..I gues time frame for your diorama will be at least 12/04/1943 beacose at that date he recorded 2 spits shoot down over S. Cape Passero Sicily.

He was flying with 7./JG27 at that time(transfered from JG77). But so far cant dig out single photo of his plane...will have to sniff through my books at home...

Dejan

Hi Dejan,

Yes you are right he was flying with 7/JG27.

As of 1304 hours on the 5/5/43 he didn't do any more flying.

This date may come up in your research!

What happened on that date probably saved his life as I believe he lived to a ripe old age and died a few years ago.

Phil