ME-110G-2

Okay. enough of the build, on to the dimensional stuff that Allok wanted to see. I'd like to first say that this is NOT a critique of this kit! I'm happy to have it, and I'm getting a huge kick outta building it. I am using the "Monogram Close-Up #18" for plans, as they really look the part to me, and they scaled perfectly when enlarged.(unlike any other plans I have access to)

Russ's usual disclaimer; This is what I've got, and I'm working with it.

ME-110 has a wingspan of 53'-4 3/4"= @53.3' 19.98" in 1/32nd scale

@53.4' 20.025" That's close enough to 20" for me.

length of 39'-7 3/16"(for a F/G-2)= @39.6' 14.85" in 1/32nd scale

Kit scaled out right on the money for wingspan, but only 14 5/8" in length. Here's the fuse laid on the plans, and why I've added "plugs" to get it lined up.(using the cockpit as a center)

post-4413-1215239795.jpg

Hey Kevin! Glad you could join me! Oh yeah, you KNOW I like chopping things up! :rolleyes:

Except for the tail-wheel being too small(and I believe the kit strut may not be long enough?), it's looking good! Rudder was perfect.

post-4413-1215241455.jpg

Wing is pretty much right on! Just needs to be slid forward 4mm(?) so the leading edge is even with the middle window on the pilots side glass. That would also bring the spinners/cowling lines forward enough to line up.(we're only talking less than the thickness of 2 thin coins) It would also not make the nose look so long(by what..4mm? phhhttt), and there's too much wing behind the observer on the kit. None of these plugs/wing moves are really worth the effort, as I'm only lengthing the fuse, what? 3/8" total with 2 plugs....I just like cutting things up, and puttin putty on things. :lol: Gives Kevin and Loic something to laugh at me about! :rolleyes: As everybody can see, this kit is REALLY close, and I'm just pointing out quibbling little nothings. Good job Revell.

post-4413-1215241897.jpg

That's all for now, gotta go finish up my engine nacelle for casting and put the aerodynamic humps behind them on a diet to slim em down. Hope this (dis?)information was helpful to somebody! Later, Russ

Uh Oh Sphagettios! Just to show Loic I ain't messing around. :lol: End of day 2 of Me-110 build. I feel much better now. I'm back into my happy bubble...until I figure out how to build the back of the fuse up a little. Oh!, did somebody say PUTTY? :rolleyes:

Bwhahahah!

post-4413-1215249881.jpg

Oh yeah, double...no triple checked nose length and wing position against my other 3 sets of plans, and they all agree this is correct. Plans just don't jive about engine size/width with each other. Good enough for me. :rolleyes:

post-4413-1215250492.jpg

Again, I don't have any plans for an earlier version, so these mods may not be correct for a Me-110C-E. I think Matt is correct in the only real differences are in the engines...and maybe the radiators.dunno. More pics soon. Russ

Hello Allok! Glad you like it so far, and I hope the pics of the parts over the plans were what you were looking for.( I hope they're not too far off? :rolleyes: ) I get more plans in about a week; should make an interesting comparison. I just don't have enough time to wait on them before starting. So, is it Dragon that will be releasing a Me-110? I haven't been keeping up lately-doh.

Really been enjoying your Gustav build...niiiice. Hope my paint-job on this plane looks as nice as yours when I get thru with it. :lol: Russ

Wow! This looks great Russ. I "only" built 2 of those birds in my life, the first one being yeeaaarrrsss ago and I have not been through any kind of structural surgery one any of those.

Not only your work is very interesting but you are going through this built at the speed of light dude!

My eyes are focussed on your Me110!

Cheers,

loic

Russ,

Have one question as to u'er GREAT work u'er doing on that old revell 110 kit.Where did u get those plans or drawings u'er using to get the 110 right as to purportions?Got three kits and would like to do the G-2 that james howard shout down in a pic i have of the 110.Larry

Howdy Larry! I co-own a reprographics shop(we scale technical/engineering drawings down to .001), and have enlarged 4 sets of plans from different books I have. So none of these are commercially available. Still waiting for 2 more; 'Aero Details for Me-110G'(excellent plan drawings, probably the best researched), and 'Zerstorer' "something, can't remember the complete title". I don't even know if that has plans, but should have good reference photos?

The plans I'm using most are from 'Monogram Close-Up #18' as they have the best panel line detail, and are in most back-ground pics of this thread. Very subjective, but they just "look right" to me.

Also have enlargd plans from (1)'Warplanes of the Third Reich'....pretty generic, but useful

(2)'Squadrons walk-around Me-110G'....generic panel line detail, but they match the Monogram outlines except in minute engine nacelle detail.

(3)'Osprey Modelling the Me-110'....only has a(excellent) line side profile, but it also lines up with the Monogram(profile only available)

(4)'Mongram Close-Up #18 Bf-110G....best I've found so far, and what you've seen pics of.

I want to emphasize again, that I'm not writing a Bible on this AC, and my intent is not to blast this kit. I don't think 3/8ths" lengthing is a show-stopper(to correct scale length), and moving the wing fwd. the width of 2 dimes, and "humping the spine" another 2-3mm is goinng to be noticeable to anybody without a very powerful monocle? The engine nacelles are far enough off to be noticeable to anybody with a cursory glance. The canopy....egads, but I've a plan to "gloss over" most of that. :lol: Just because I'm building this kit my way, with the info I have available, doesn't mean I'm encouraging anybody to 'follow my lead". On the contrary, all builds should be as unique as their builders and I'll be the first to applaud their efforts! The kit builds up pretty good as-is, I just enjoy the minutae of dimensional correction...AND I like to modify things for the smallest reason! Putty is my friend. Research on this AC is going on even now, while I'm building it. I may even have to un-hack some of these mods as new info comes along,...but for now, this is the best I can do...with what I have available! :blink:

Pics later on tonight of the cut-down wingtop nacelles and some new templating for the new "sculpting" that will fill them in. Later, Russ

P.S. Thanks for checking in on this build loic! Miss not having your input from time-to time, like in the RAF group-build. Welcome! (oh yeah, get that diorama done..I can't wait to see it completed! Hah!)

Well darn it, I don't have any pics of the templates for the nacelles. :lol: Did get the wing-top nacelles shaved down though! I decided not to replace the entire panel this fairing sits on, and I've left the up-raised sweep on the wing. This will save me some 'fairing in' of the nacelle/wing joint and make it easier to sculpt. Got wrapped up in re-engineering a new landing gear mount, and a bay floor and bulkhead while this area is accessible. The LG bay is very....open, and I want to at least close it in. Wish I had more time for detailing this area out properly. As anybody who has built this kit knows, the LG is 'pinched between the nacelle 1/2's and must be installed in the nacelle, then added to the wing, then put on the fuse. Scary stuff, if it's not at the right angles. It isn't. I want to install the gear AFTER all assemblies are complete. The LG sits at a 90 degree angle to the fuse as Revell has designed it....it should have a forward sweep, so I am re-aligning/re-defining this area. LG leg is the correct length BTW...whew! :blink: Wheels have a positive camber off the LG leg on the real thing, and as molded is incorrect. Lots of plastic on the gear leg for re-drill, so no prob. So...I've been spending time correcting all this stuff. Latest pic of the 'destruction, before construction' phase I'm currently in. Whoohoo! Later, Russ

post-4413-1215330927.jpg