RCAF P-51D Tamiya

ade rowlands

The instrument panel with Barracuda decals. I used a thin piece of clear plasticard to make the dial face part. I feel that the Tamiya approach, though a good idea sometimes leaves the dial decals a bit too far back from the actual panel. 

IMG_1728_zps3b9fbcd7.jpg

most of the cockpit with Barracuda details. Painted Vallejo NATO Black and drybrushed Neutral Grey. I need to learn to take a better photo.

IMG_1729_zps8772a261.jpg

Barracuda sidewall with Barracuda decals. Painted Vallejo NATO Black drybrushed to simulate wear and tear.

IMG_1736_zps9b69dd84.jpg

IMG_1729_zps8772a261.jpg

The other sidewall with the same treatment.

IMG_1737_zps2b6119af.jpg

And finally the rudder pedals with Barracuda details, drybrushed to bring the logos out. 

IMG_1740_zpsd58a8a36.jpg

And thats where I'm at  at the moment. An all black cockpit surely is a challenge. I feel I've done ok using various shades of the blacks available. It looks a bit better in person and you can pick out some of the various shades. Next up is joining the fuselage halves  and some work on the gear bay.

Edited by ade rowlands

Very effective job on that cockpit, you carried that off very well. Not too stark and lots of impression of depth.

RCAF Mustangs are a bit of an obsession of mine, this will be one for me to follow...and maybe prod me to get one of mine started. Have you decided which scheme you'll be doing? Happy to help with photos/info if you have questions.

Richard

Very effective job on that cockpit, you carried that off very well. Not too stark and lots of impression of depth.

RCAF Mustangs are a bit of an obsession of mine, this will be one for me to follow...and maybe prod me to get one of mine started. Have you decided which scheme you'll be doing? Happy to help with photos/info if you have questions.

Richard

I'm 95% sure it'll be PF 592 S/N 9592 443 Squadron. 

Wowzer! Nicely done, sir! The Barracudacals really brings the cockpit to life. I love this kit and have one myself (pass it everytime I leave my kitchen - it's up in an exposed storage area). Itching to build her but til mr.Corsair is completed.

Side note: tamiya came out with a rubber black too (XF-85), which I use on my car builds - makes for really subtle contrast.

You're doing a great job with this bird and looking forward to see more progress.

pL

Wowzer! Nicely done, sir! The Barracudacals really brings the cockpit to life. I love this kit and have one myself (pass it everytime I leave my kitchen - it's up in an exposed storage area). Itching to build her but til mr.Corsair is completed. Side note: tamiya came out with a rubber black too (XF-85), which I use on my car builds - makes for really subtle contrast. You're doing a great job with this bird and looking forward to see more progress. pL

I used Tamiyas Rubber Black on the fuel tank as I'm sure I'd read somewhere they were made of a rubber membrane of some sort or coated with one. I found it to be slightly tonally different to the Vallejo NATO Black under natural light but it doesn't really show in the photos due to the overhead light I use at my work table.

Looks great. Howd you like those Barracuda decals ? I used them in mine, and alot of them were impossible to get right..mainly the switch/dial labels..

Andrea makes a black paint set, which Ive been using quite often when paint black area to help break it up and bring out details,especially areas like your cockpit

http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/4/complements/402/andrea-color-paint-set/1319/acs-002-black-paint-set.html

Looks great. Howd you like those Barracuda decals ? I used them in mine, and alot of them were impossible to get right..mainly the switch/dial labels..

Andrea makes a black paint set, which Ive been using quite often when paint black area to help break it up and bring out details,especially areas like your cockpit

http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/4/complements/402/andrea-color-paint-set/1319/acs-002-black-paint-set.html

For flat surfaces, they were great. As you say, over switches and un even surfaces I had trouble, but I'd use them again and experient with the setting solutions, this time around I used Gunze mr setter. Might try Micro Sol next time.

Hi Guys.

Sorry to hear you had some problems with some of the larger stencils, such as the stencil for the armament panel under the main instrument panel.

The trick to installing them is to cut the stencils into smaller sections before applying them. I like to cut them into sections and cut away any clear film that would interfere with a large switch or knob. Each section is then wet and applied separately. They are printed in one section to show the final shape when installed.

Understand that applying such tiny decals is a challenge. Its going to take a number of hours to do, but then anything worth doing is worth the time it takes to do it properly! :-)

Model building involves some amount of problem solving. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

I was not sure if cockpit stencil decals were going to work or be seen as a viable product, but I've seen many excellent results so far, and I managed to install a set myself without TOO much trouble. It took me two evenings to finish, but i have to say I enjoyed the process. Hope you come away with the same experience.

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling!  Roy

Hi Guys.

Sorry to hear you had some problems with some of the larger stencils, such as the stencil for the armament panel under the main instrument panel.

The trick to installing them is to cut the stencils into smaller sections before applying them. I like to cut them into sections and cut away any clear film that would interfere with a large switch or knob. Each section is then wet and applied separately. They are printed in one section to show the final shape when installed.

Understand that applying such tiny decals is a challenge. Its going to take a number of hours to do, but then anything worth doing is worth the time it takes to do it properly! :-)

Model building involves some amount of problem solving. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

I was not sure if cockpit stencil decals were going to work or be seen as a viable product, but I've seen many excellent results so far, and I managed to install a set myself without TOO much trouble. It took me two evenings to finish, but i have to say I enjoyed the process. Hope you come away with the same experience.

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling!  Roy

Roy, it was more likely me rushing and using maybe a bit too much solvent to set them down and not thinking to trim them up a bit before fitting. Wouldnt hesitate to buy your stuff again. Very likely will do when/if Tamiya release a later model Corsair. 

Going to be painting the gear bay either later today or tomorrow. Can't decide on zinc chromate yellow or zinc chromate green which is what the example at the RAF Museum Hendon looks to be painted with from memory and photos found online, this I believe is an ex RCAF Mustang. Looking at what photos I can find online the only thing I can say is the clamshell inner doors were silver lacquer like the rest of the outer paintwork.