TDJftM: FINISHED!

Hardcore

My part of this group build will be a Revell Erla Bf 109.

I ordered the last necessary part today (but may add Eduard landing gear later) and will start cut and glue very soon. To keep suspense I will give more details a bit into the build but thought I should at least turn up at the starting line!

Edited by Hardcore

I am not much pleased with the Trumpeter kit. It is nice but... it is not a shake-bake "One O'nine" :(

My main complaint is that it uses PE for some things, like rudder pedals, but with no plastic options:p Then you must install the engine to have a mount for exhausts and propeller! Fortunately there are ways to get around that.

I will stick to Revell, I suspect, for future G-10s.

I got some way with the cockpit today. One could call it "forced building" as I sacrificed care for speed.

IMG_20150828_202201_zps4fqepflg.jpg

Edited by Hardcore

Todays progress involved
cutting and glueing exhaust stacks to plasticard strips. It is a little easier than to build and install complete engine (they are almost as bas as Eduard). Note that I did this simply: I marked the positions on the strips by putting the  holes in the engine block against the  card and scratched each position with a sharp metal piece.

Decal for dashboard was a little too big but no matter. It will be almost invisible. I won't display with open canopy.

Tomorrow some weatering, and maybe installation of cockpit.

IMG_20150830_211052_zpsoxavq9hg.jpg

Edited by Hardcore

Right now this is just ordinary construction phase. Useful to you mainly to learn the nature of the trumpeter kit.

For the exhausts there was need for only a minimum of support. I took advantage of the fact that they can touch the fuselage when mounted (especially the port side). Not the most solid attachments but using liquid glue it was easy to do.

IMG_20150831_152451_zpsskie8z85.jpg

IMG_20150831_152834_zpswtec91ka.jpg

The mating surfaces where not perfectly even. I suppose they forgot to add the finishing touch. I used a sanding stick but would perhaps got a better result cutting off the locating pins and use a flat surface and grinding paper. Nvm.

When in doubt my method is to go slowly. That's why I in the last shot only have glued the topside of the nose, stopping at the cockpit.

IMG_20150831_205227_zpssxgkysmf.jpg

Edited by Hardcore