USAF Thunderbirds Me-262 - Finished!

b757captain

That's fantastic masking/ paintwork  you've done. Thought the main color was going to be white, but then I remembered the old school T-birds(F-100) were NMF.

Don

Thanks Don!

I decided that NMF would be more appropriate for the time period. The F-84s, F-100s and F-105s were all NMF, the F-4 started the white finishes. I remember reading somewhere that the change to white was due to the F-4 airframe needing paint for corrosion control. Not 100% on that though. 

Now that the paint is on, NMF was definitely the way to go.

Mark

Love it - what a great project. The NMF and T-Birds markings look terrific on anything, and having two nacelles to work with just doubles the effect. Terrific work.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I thought originally of treating the nacelles like the fuselage, replicating the blue feathers down the bottom of the nacelles. Finally decided to treat them more like the drop tank pattern used by the F-105s and F-4s. Plus that would have been a bunch more masking!

Update -

Nothing notable for pics tonite - 3 coats of Future to get ready for decals, and it's sitting on it's pins (donated gear legs from the Trumpy kit). Worked out that I'm Futuring two airplanes at once, this and a 1/44th 747 that will be the NASA shuttle carrier. Tough trying to remember to get all the loose parts like gear doors, rtc., without forgetting anything!

Mark

Tonite's update:

Decals on!

Me-262%2027.jpg

Still have to adapt and mount the wheels and gear doors, add the remaining bits, gloss coat then finish the canopy, but it's on the home stretch!

Mark

Haha, crazy good!   I cant stop looking at it..............its so......................contradictorily awesome.