USAF Thunderbirds Me-262 - Finished!

b757captain

I still have one of these kits in original shrink wrap, both bought in or around 1996 or so. Someday I might unwrap it and see if it has rubber tires  :) That's after I complete all the Trumpter 262 variants and have nothing else to build :whistle:

On to the cockpit. The theory - fitting into the alternate history timeline - is that over time aspects of the original aircraft will be improved, modified and upgraded. So I robbed parts from a CZ T-33 kit since I have a resin set for it. Seems like it could be modified to fit and give the cockpit a more modern US look. First up was to measure for length and depth. I kept the kit cockpit bulkheads in place to start:

Me-262%2010.jpg

Then cut the T-33 front pit to the proper length, test fit and check for depth. To do this I fitted the seat in relation to the canopy to set its height, then fit the cockpit tub with seat and raised the floor until it looked right. I cut about 3/16" out of the sidewalls to raise the floor:

Me-262%2011.jpg

Several more test fits and everything looking good, so off to the paint shop:

Me-262%2012.jpg

Last was to modify the F-100 instrument panel to fit. I used the measure once, cut twice method here!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Been plugging away on the -262 between other projects, plus had to get current on the 767 again for a new job. Here's the progress:

Joined the wing and fuselage. Lots of test-fitting made gluing anti-climatic:

Me-262%2016.jpg

Add some weight before closing the nose up:

Me-262%2017_1.jpg

And then - fill the gaps!

Me-262%2018.jpg

Me-262%2019.jpg

Mark

After sanding and primer on the filler spots, the first color is on!

Me-262%2020.jpg

Me-262%2021.jpg

Me-262%2022.jpg

My plan for paint is the blue first, mask that, add the white scallops plus the tail surfaces, mask that, red next, then leave all that masked and hit the airframe with silver. I'll probably use the AKI Extreme aluminum for that without any prep, not planning on doing any shaded panels. It worked pretty well on the F-86D I just finished so long as I don't have to mask any of the AKI. All the paints are MM enamel flats - I like them for durability and quick drying. I can usually mask over them after a few hours with no lifting. They gloss up really nice with 5 or 6 coats of Future. I stopped spraying gloss paints cuz I don't like to wait!

Mark

Looks great!   This is SO off the wall its really a treat to observe coming together...................but that IS what the What if? is all about!

I wasn't sure if you were going with the white T-birds scheme or the NMF.   I have to say, I like the idea of the R, W & B WITH the natural metal myself.

Looking forward to some more paint!

Short update tonite:

The last few days have been masking, painting, re-masking, painting, then re-masking again. Red, white and blue on:

Me-262%2023.jpg

Me-262%2024.jpg

Tomorrow I'll mask the rest and spray the silver. No differentiation of panels, just single color. I haven't had time yet to experiment much with the AKI Extreme Aluminum but it worked well enough on my F-86D that I'll go with it here since there should not be any masking over the aluminum.

Cheers,

Mark 

you will only ever mask once!

Oh, if only!!  :crying:

Looks great!   This is SO off the wall its really a treat to observe coming together...................but that IS what the What if? is all about!

I wasn't sure if you were going with the white T-birds scheme or the NMF.   I have to say, I like the idea of the R, W & B WITH the natural metal myself.

Looking forward to some more paint!

Definitely NMF instead of overall white. I never thought a NMF 262 (or any NMF Luftwaffe a/c) looked good - to my eye it just has to be RLM, but the T-bird scheme does fit pretty well.

Progress continues:

NMF on and unmasked. I didn't have as much edge chipping and bleed-under as I thought so about an hour fixing a few spots and here she is:

Me-262%2025.jpg

Me-262%2026.jpg

I tried masking the stars on the tail - failed! Gotta go to plan B for them. My decal stash leftovers so far have come up empty, only some small white stars. I do have a complete set in blue but they are earmarked for the eventual F-84G T-bird.

Tomorrow will be clear-coat to get ready for decals, and gear and gear doors. I do have enough leftovers to do everything but the T-bird emblem. I might have to sacrifice the F-84 sheet for the -262!

Mark