Best sequence to paint

themongoose

I need some expert advice on what order of operations to use here. I'm working on the thunderbird graphic and all the blue. I have the model primered. I question the approach because I'd like to minimize the number of layers of paint but then i wonder if I'll have problems with the line between the colors if I don't do one all-over color first. Let me know what your experience has been ?

Should I paint all the white and then put on the masks and do the blue,

Paint the blue in ageneral area and then mask it and try to come ver the blue,

Put the masks on the area that will be blue, paint the white and then reverse the process to do the blue,

Or some other way to go about it?

D70E96E1-6352-419E-B668-0DEDAF6419AF-XL.

4B961BE9-85A6-4E20-940C-B98EEE6489E9-X2.

Wow, good question and you will probably get a few different answers.  I started on a 1/72 Thunderbird a while ago and faced the same question.

Since there is a lot of fine-line and edging in white that would be difficult to mask on its own, I would suggest a white base coat and go with the blue and the red over the white.  At most you should have 2 layers of paint (White and Blue, and White and Red) on the fuselage and most of the wings.  You COULD leave the Red areas masked if you really wanted to and do them directly over primer, but I think either way you will be ok.

Good luck!

Chris