Roden's Albatros D.III: Weathering, U/C, and some Rigging

Gazzas

If you want to get really hard core, try brush painting roundels. They would have been, and they would also flake off following the brush strokes. Plus they would fade unevenly. I've tried playing with this from time to time

I would really like to become confident at hand lettering with a brush, then I could paint numbers in an authentic style

Richard

To get that effect, I hand-brush an un-thinned satin or matt acrylic clear-coat over the decals (which is milky in the first place), which also acts as a sealer for the decals.

For the lettering, I suggest practicing on sheets of regular paper, make up the characters you want, and see about transferring them to decal film, adjusting the size accordingly with either the computer or printer software. 

Guest Peterpools

Hi Gaz

Just catching up and admiring your determination and never give in attitude: sure wish I had it. Love the way the Albatros is coming along ... of course, the painting process being my favorite. Your approach to the fuselage n the end worked out very well and looks the part. Nice work hand brushing the cammo as it solved a major problem with the paint lifting. Just not sure why you are having such a hard time with the primer lifting.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Hi Gaz

Just catching up and admiring your determination and never give in attitude: sure wish I had it. Love the way the Albatros is coming along ... of course, the painting process being my favorite. Your approach to the fuselage n the end worked out very well and looks the part. Nice work hand brushing the cammo as it solved a major problem with the paint lifting. Just not sure why you are having such a hard time with the primer lifting.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!

I'm still unsure as to why I had such paint lift problems.  Truly, I rarely prime, and rarely have lift problems...but when I don't prime, sometimes I have problems where there is paint wear from handling...for this reason I started priming. 

On my next build, I'm going to give the larger, exterior parts a serious scrub in the warm and soapy.  But for this build I'm mystified.  There are occasions when a light bump into another structure removes a chunk of paint. 

Gaz

Hi Everyone!

A little progress.  I've only had a few minutes in each evening, to make scant visible progress.  It took a few days to get most of Bob's Buckles eyelets in place, as well as weather the belly.

Last night I attached the U/C legs and rigged the elevator.

I had gone, this week, to my local fishing supply megastore only to learn that they didn't have any fly-tying gear.  Not patient enough to to wait for more mailorder, I decided to use some green silk thread for the landing gear bungees.  The main benefit of silk thread is that it doesn't have fuzzies..

Here is the Alby trussed up:

A6Cqbl.jpg

I smashed pigments into the area dirt would have been flung from the main wheels.  Then I used a wash spattered from a pint brush to give some spatter.  Some of the spatter drops are a bit large.  A lesson for the future.

A close up of the tail:

j2fRGI.jpg

There are still parts to paint and touch up.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

I love the green thread and think it looks smashing with the yellow tail feathers! Although I'm sure you'll douse that green with enough washes to obliterate any trace of that green...even though tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day! Gaz, it's really looking great, man! Bravo!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Gaz,  Definitely you are being way too hard on yourself.  This is a great build and we don't see 10% of the problems you see - and don't forget:  none of us have the 10x magnification which shows up in photos.  Even just looking at the photos, the Albatross is looking terrific.

Looking forward to your Bob's Buckles experience too.    :popcorn:   I have the Green Tailed Trilogy and am NOT ready to give it a go, but want to start getting better with my rigging in particular.  Probably should have tried the buckles on my Nieuport 17 or the SPAD XIII I'm currently working on...  But man, they are TINY!!!!

Wood grain looks great, colors are fine, and I like how varied the wood color is.  Looks very real.  I'm waiting for someone to come up with incredibly thin sheets of real wood to use on these planes.  Not that I want to learn how to use THAT material! 

And the stripes are the perfect touch actually.   Don't worry about perfect joins too.  I've seen more than a few WWI planes (not recreations) and I'm surprised at how rough some of those planes are.  Some is age I'm sure, but also, being built of wood, things shifted and warped and such.  Still amazes me people actually said ' yeah, I'll sit behind that engine and these wood and cloth wings and go up in the air '... Tough stuff.

Great history on your build too, I think that is one of the best parts of this hobby is its connection with history.    :goodjob:

Everyone,

Thank you for your kind words.

The Bob's Buckles are really great.  But I can't see the eyelet-holes nor the tube holes without wearing 3.5X reading glasses.  I also discovered the monofilament I bought was too thick to pass through the brass tubes twice.

I've discovered that the local fishing supply stores don't carry anything with a smaller diameter than .165MM.  There's really not that much to catch here with lighter tackle.  So, I've ordered 2lb test online.  I hope it works.  If I want even lighter, thinner test line, I'm going to have to order from the US, and the postal rates are exhorbitant....no....not exhorbitant...more like an unneccesary root canal .  So, ordering a couple of spools of Stren 2lb test is a 15$ gamble.

Because I don't want to wait on the line, I'm using EZline on this build.  Sometimes the EZline is a little tricky to get through the brass tube the second time through, but not too bad.  Once you get the second-pass-through started sometimes you need to grab both and push them through together.

Best thing is that once you have glued the brass tube in place, the line hangs and swings naturally from the eyelet, so you know it'll be a perfect straight shot to the other end of the line.  I already know that I will never build a rigged aircraft without Bob's Buckles.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas