Bitten by a Mosquito!

Wolf Buddee

Yay Wolf,

Great to see another build from you. 

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Hey Don! Thanks for checkin' in. Really nice to hear from you again! If this build takes as long as the Spitfire we're going to need a lot more popcorn, drinks, and some blankets. Either that or some form of therapy.......

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolf (regarding the Tamiya paints) what do you thin your paints with for airbrushing?

What kind of thinning ratio do you find works best (paint to thinner) and do you use the same thinning medium for the semi gloss clear?

I thinned my mix of dark grey for the IP with Mr. Color Levelling thinner. First time I've used the stuff and it seems to work well. The paint to thinner ratio, I'm not sure. I just add thinner until it looks right. The Tamiya semi-gloss out of the spray can is lacquer based so just plain ol' lacquer thinner for that. Once dry the stuff is tough as nails. I love the stuff.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Thanks Matt! I used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Nato Black and German Grey. The panels were oversprayed with Tamiya's semi-gloss spray out of the can (shot through the airbrush) both before and after decals. The last coat is literally blushed on to tone down the semi-gloss effect.

Cheers,

Wolf

I use the same colors for my Cockpit black  65/35  Nato to German Gray.   That's when I actual sit down and build an aircraft :whistle:   :wub: 

Thanks for the info Wolf. I'm always trying to learn from "assemblers" like yourself!

While I have you, can you share if you need to lay down a gloss coat to put the airscale decals onto, or is just the bare paint fine?

Same question when you use the detailer washes. Is bare paint (gloss of flat) ok, or do the washes work better on a gloss surface?

Are you sure you don't own a shrink ray? That IP looks amazing.

And welcome to the rest of us sucked in by the Mossie!

Carl

Thanks Carl, no, no shrink ray, LOL! Just the opposite in fact. A very nice 5 diopter magnifying lamp that I use for almost all my work now.

It's pretty hard not getting sucked in by the Mossie. Just opening the box and seeing what's on the sprues and you can see immediately that Tamiya has provided us with something very special.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for the info Wolf. I'm always trying to learn from "assemblers" like yourself!

While I have you, can you share if you need to lay down a gloss coat to put the airscale decals onto, or is just the bare paint fine?

Same question when you use the detailer washes. Is bare paint (gloss of flat) ok, or do the washes work better on a gloss surface?

I've found that if I'm working with a decal that has little or no carrier film, Tamiya's semi gloss paint works well enough. If I'm applying lots of decals, especially small bits and pieces like on the bomb arming panel on the Mossie, gloss coat is essential.

With regards to The Detailer washes, mat surfaces works the best for me. Once dry, I always seal the wash in with either clear flat or semi-gloss. The final coat of semi-gloss is just misted or blushed on so that the finished look is not dead flat.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolf, absolutely beautiful looking IP! No surprise there.

Question: How did you photograph that? It looks like it's suspended in the air. Really sharp!

Thank-you Chuck.

He he he.........it does look kind of cool and suspended in air doesn't it? I used a set of plastic forceps to hold the IP while photographing it. The forceps are a little ugly looking so I photoshopped them out. The result made laugh so I thought I'd leave it like that.

Cheers,

Wolf

excellent work on the dashboard - I'll take the seat to the right to watch the further progress. :popcorn:

Thanks Urs! You're welcome to take a seat but fair warning, I'm a slow builder. We could be here for a while.........:)

Cheers,

Wolf

Beautifully rendered.  So well defined.  Love the colors.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for checkin' in Mark, always a pleasure!

I just realized, after I read your post, you're workin' on a Helo. Just checked out the thread. Wow, nice work as always.

Cheers,

Wolf