Current value and availablity of Marsh Models/Aerotech Schneider Racer

Michael Scarborough

Among the many kits I wish I HAD NOT sold were three of the Aerotech/Marsh Models Schneider Racers. I just ran a search on eBay and saw that a Supermarine S6B went on eBay for $127.49 in October and that had been originally listed at $149.99. Is $127 a realistic current price? Anybody have any suggestions on best way to track them down?

Ho, Ho, Ho from NYC,

Michael

You are kidding, right? A "realistic" price for a used anything is what the item will bring on the open market. I have a small collection of 1/24 scale aircraft, some plastic kits and some carved wood made in the Philippines.  

There is NO MSRP for items of this nature,  People order a number of models to be made by firms in the Philippines. 

Then they list them on eBay. I have seen the identical models listed at anywhere from $109 to $269. It all depends on the price the retailer in the USA had to pay for them and how much profit he wants to make..

If you want an item badly enough you will pay what is asked. If you don't want to pay that high price then grab some wood and start carving it yourself. 

You can start a search on eBay and whenever one appears on eBay they will send you an email and you can buy or bid on it then. 

OK, just fr the fun of it I ran a search for the Supermarine S6B on eBay. Amazing the number of wood models that surfaced. The scale, well that is a problem. Keep in mind the average man knows diddly do about math terms like scale and size. Not his fault, truly the rule "if you don't use it you lose it" applies with math for most of us. But some of these jerks will list whatever scale sounds nice instead of figuring out the correct scale. 

I ask the seller for the wingspan as closely as he can measure it (many folk cannot read a ruler, either). So he or she gives me a number they read off their rule. Fine. Then I typed Supermarine S6B on the internet and one of the first listings that showed up was Wikipedia. Here you can usually find the wingspan of the real thing.

Right away up came the wingspan of the real thing. It was 30'-0". OK it was 30 feet long. Multiply 30 x 12 to convert that figure to inches. It's wingspan was 360 inches wide. Divide the wingspan of the model into the 360 and you get the scale. One item on eBay was 18 inch wingspan. 18 divided into 360 (or you can say it as 360 divided by 18) equals 20. So the scale of that model is 1/20, or 1:20 or one twentieth of the real airplane. The real airplane is 20 times bigger than the model. OK? Got it? 

We are not talking "scale" we are dealing with the size ratio. But everyone used the wrong word so relax. We are only human. 

There are several models on eBay right now at that scale, by the way.  Those guys in the Philippines like to produce models in large lots. . 

If you do not trust the seller ask him for the model wingspan. Then take that wingspan and divide it into 360 and that will give you the actual scale of the model. For example, lets say the seller lists the model as having a wingspan of 11 1/4 inches. Divide 360 by 11.25 and you will get 32, which is the scale of the model (1/32).

Now with wood models you seldom get a real accurate measurement. But if it is close then live with it. as that is a good as you can get with that mode.  

NOTE. eBay changed their ways.To contact the seller you have to pick the sellers name near the top of the model. then you can contact him/her. Now do your homework because I will quiz you next Friday. 

:punk: 

Edited by ssculptor

Maybe you have already read this, but here is a link to a Large Scale 2005 kit review:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=731

wherein it says it was about $220.00 back then.

I would take careful notice of the description(s) of the white metal parts (especially the crudely molded propeller), and consider the age of the decals before I took the plunge., because as ssculpter said, about price variances, and why would this one be selling "originally listed at $149.99" if it was worth nearly $100.00 more?

Well...OK.

Sculptor, I sincerely thank you for the state of enlightenment I now feel after reading your response to what I thought was a simple post. Thank for sharing all this info about carving wooden models, how to determine scale, MSRP, etc. It makes very interesting reading. As for doing my homework, as I stated in the original post, I'd already been to eBay and, as I have never run a search for these particular kits, I am simply asking if that seems like the median price these kits have been currently selling for, when they do come available.

Gigant, thank you for your thoughts. I had three of the kits when they first came out and, indeed, was quite put off by the crudeness of the metal work, as well as the fit of the parts. Yes, I understand they are resin kits but, in the time since, having seen kits from companies such as Paul Fisher and Silver Wings, feel that these Aerotech kits fall short in value.

Cheers from NYC,

MIchael

I was going to say Hannants but it appears that they are mostly sold out of the kits. Maybe Aerotech/Marsh Models directly would be the way to go.

Have built 3 of their kits and whilst a lot of work the end products are valuable and unique additions to my collection.

Eric.

OK, gents....thanks for the comments...the feedback is much appreciated.

Marsh still has the M39, M52, PC-7, S4 and S6 in stock and all at GBP 160.  That's $213.

I like keeping similar types in similar scales and, as I already have a bunch of Schneider Cup racers in 1:48, I will probably stick with that. However, as I have all the old Williams Bros. racers in 1/32, I may go ahead and snap up the Marsh Dh.88 to add to my collection of 1/32 float-less racers.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

You should keep an active alert on Ebay, Michael, as the safest bet to get one eventually.

(I have all the ones you are looking for in the stash, but am - unfortunately for you - not ready to part with them ATM ;)  ).

As others have said, they are unique in their subjects, but a bit "rough" for the asking price. I expected their latest releases to be somewaht better than the older ones, but alas, the Spirit of St Louis, Napier Hendon Racer and now the S-5 don' really look to have become finer than their older brothers .... :(. Who knows, I may decide one day that they are too much work for my (limited) modelling time ...

Hubert

Hannant's still has two of the French version (Paris to Dakar, F-ANPY) of the DH.88, and even has a "Professor Nimbus" color scheme, should you like Tintin a whole lot. (Could be fun... and there are decal sheets and a book full of options for more planes from that series of comics). You could probably make the other versions with some self cut masks if you can't find the race versions you are looking for. Looks like 171 pounds or $190.62 listed on the listed cost, assuming export prices. Not a cheap kit, but it is available.

Tnarg