OEFFAG Albatros DIII, Austrian LFT, 1917

blackbetty

first test coat of primer, the bump will be sanded down later

i first thought about vacforming the cowling, but decided against it, because due to the shape i dont hink i will get it right without a vacbox

plus, i dont have to think about the mounting of the guns and exhaust pipes, i can just stick them into holes i will drill

comments and critics welcome

post-2020-1263295536.jpg

Whoohoo! That's what I'm talkin about! :speak_cool: Excellent start on scratching up a cover, and it looks great buddy! Oh yeah, a good set of plans really helps with getting things sized up and zeroed in, eh? Good move. ;) I can already smell what you've got cooking here, and it's going to be delicious. Can't wait to see what you pull outa your hat next buddy! :)

Later, Russ

P.S. Talk about a delayed reaction! It just struck me why you were rolling all those colors off in the P-51 thread? I thought you were inferring to what I was going to paint the Mustang, and just now realized they were VW colors! :speak_cool: That beetle was a November 1959 deluxe sold as a '60,....and was repainted in it's original 'Indian Red'. Can't remember the 'L'# for the color this sec, but it's not red and not quite brown. Very pastel and cool looking.

thats L 451, very rare colour :popcorn: , and thanx for the kind words

well i taped the fuselage together to see how it fits (not that great, lotsa flash) and to see were the spars in the cockpit go. roden provides little brackets on the fuselage halves to locate these, but its not entirely clear if the part but up against them from the front or from the back

post-2020-1263476036.jpg

the spar in front of the cockpit has to be modified:

the gunmounts were cut off (remember the guns are mounted inside the fuselage, much lower than the german counterpart)

the lower part was covered by sheet as the OEFFAG planes had a wooden panel there

right is the ammo box with a modified, rounded off bottom

post-2020-1263476515.jpg

originally i didnt want to modify the cockpit that much, but boy is it looking different :wacko:

i got REAL good pics of the pit from here: http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ger/Alb_DIII_OFFAG/

its a 1:1 replica that was built here near vienna, it even has an original running engine :popcorn: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9PwNxpq87M

how cool is that?

so i have to do the pit justice (as far as my skills allow)

first i replaced the cockpit floor, it has cutouts for the feet (left is the kit part)

post-2020-1263476962.jpg

and assebled it with the kit parts

i will have to scratch the seat, all of the instruments and their panels, the steering column is different and add verious bits and pieces

i see this build end up in the failed GB section :popcorn:

stay tuned

post-2020-1263477232.jpg

Very interesting project ! I have this kit and have always wanted to do the version in the link you provided. THANK YOU !! I first read about this version in a book on the Polish war right after WW I and would love to do it up in Polish markings.

Cheers

Vaughn :popcorn:

May I offer up a little insight? The Gear wing had no ribs visible...it was covered with Plywood and Fokker Green on top and Fokker Blau on the lower...no ribbing or added stunts required. So far you are really tight on the Austro-Hungarian version.........avoid that misinterpretation of the Gear wing...Great job on the mods thus far to m8. :)

Also only the Austro-Hungarian version had metal wing fairings...