Revell's Bf110 v dragon 110

npb748r

Oh my goodness!!!! Granted, the Revell kit is no match for the Dragon kit, but it ain't all that bad! A little tender loving care and you can have a nice model. A lot of tender loving care and you can have a contest winner. I've seen contest winners with this kit. So, depends what you're after really. If you're really wanting a contest bird without having to do some scratch building, get the Dragon kit. If you're a modeler wanting to have some fun, with some or a lot of scratch building, get the Revell. The Revell kit is a good way to cut your teeth in detailing, scribing, etc. A nice platform. The Dragon kit is more shake and bake, up to date, modern kit, just needing things like an Eduard set to flesh it out, resin wheels, etc.

I have a Revell Me-110C kit that I intend to build. Plan to do some scratch building, scribing panel lines, etc. Have some resin wheels for it. Just look around this site and see what people have done with Revell's Beaufighter, Mosquito, Typhoon, Zero, Wildcat, etc. Revell kits can be fun to build and sharpen your skills!

I plan on starting the "block of wood" G-4 in the near future.

Link Please....

There's a bunch of information on the instructional issues by Brett Green on Hyperscale. I've built 2 of these kits, the instructions were nasty on the first kit the second one (a few years later, converted to a G model) the instructions had been fixed, I found little to no problem with the instructions. Like the others here have said it's a great kit!

Yeah, correcting the Revell kit is major work. Why I just plan to use what is there and just dress it up a bit. Overall, it looks good and looks like a 110C. I've seen some show stoppers of this kit, but my word, a lot of surgery, major work, fabrication of parts, home made vac canopy, and on and on. One that I saw, was even wired with lights!  I also remember a 110G nightfighter model that had been worked over hard and also lit up. As a matter fact, that 110G was in FSM magazine. I saw it up close and personal at a Squadron Scale Fest! Remarkable work indeed! The 110C kit can be dressed up some and look the part. It will never measure up to the Dragon offering, and that's ok. A nostalgia build. Even dressed up some, they still look amazing!

For a C-E model I wouldn't take the time to get the Revell up to speed but for the G model you're going to have to buy a conversion set for the Dragon kit anyways (I've got the Superbug G conversion set in the stash). I've got the Rutman correction set for the G-4 and some other goodies for the Revell kit. Will it be perfect? No but it should build up into a decent representation of a G-4.

Edited by Mikester

I plan on starting the "block of wood" G-4 in the near future.

Me too!

Kev

You guys really are gluttons for punishment! :lol:      I love sharpening my skills on older kits, but with the limited bench time I seem to have the older and busier I get, the less I seem to have motivation and/or time to bash them.   I really just dont have the time to take for kits that have counterparts that are much easier to build.  Just MHO in this case though. 

Ive got the Pastors conversion and a DML kit which from all accounts everyone is correct its a great kit save the instructions, which I just learned from the above that there are supplements to that even. Good news! 

I'm 100% the same as Brian. I've been building since the mid 70's and have experienced almost all these old 1/32 Revell and Hase kits over the years and dabbled at detailing them etc. and still have many of them in the stash that will never see my work bench. 

many thanks all for your feedback. I think, given my skills and the limited amount of time I have free for modelling, I will continue to look for the dragon kit. Still haven't managed to find one yet unless I want to pay a lot of money which I can't afford if I want to buy the HKs Lanc when it comes out. 

thanks again

neil