Revell F-4G

kurth

The forward fuselage is now one piece

IMGP7507-vi.jpg

I took a lot of time to ensure the two halves were square so I do not  want to end up with the frustrating step which leads to a ton of sanding and a lopsided fuselage. Hopefully it does not slip while the tenax sets. 

Edited by kurth

Finally putting cement to major airframe components.

The forward fuselage is coming along. The lower part was a tricky fit, but patience prevailed.

IMGP7508-vi.jpg

The care taken earlier paid off, Just a little careful sanding and the seams along the top and bottom should be fine.

IMGP7509-vi.jpg

IMGP7510-vi.jpg

However, the bottom part requires some putty

IMGP7513-vi.jpg

next up is to paint these jet engine face things

IMGP7517-vi.jpg

But, I had to wash them to remove sanding sludge.

Nothing too exciting the past few days. I am working on this seam on the forward fuselage

IMGP7518-vi.jpg

And with the airbrush out, I did paint the engine face things, as well as apply a wash to the turbine faces on the bulkhead. This needs to dry so I can wipe off the excess.

IMGP7519-vi.jpg

Not too much longer before the huge step of joining the fuselage halves!

And I phinally have something resembling a phantom!

The phuselage is together

IMGP7532-vi.jpg

Since the bottom of the phuselage is open, I decided to try applying the cement from inside, which gave me a very clean seam, not quite perfect, but certainly better than some models I have done with a giant step

IMGP7533-vi.jpg

and the phoward phuselage is shaping up as well, with the nose cone attached

IMGP7534-vi.jpg

And the wing is shaping up as well

IMGP7531-vi.jpg

The bridle inserts will need a little attention, but nothing major.

I have to say, I am starting to really enjoy 1/32

Great work so far!    I still have a big  Rhino "S" in the stash to do, and threads like this always make  me want to pull it out and work on it.

I have to say, I am starting to really enjoy 1/32

THAT only gets worse the more you work on them......................upon my first return back to modeling in 2006, I found that I had a choice to work in 32nd or that *OTHER* scale.  After completing one or two in *THAT* scale, I did a single 32nd kit (WORST one to pic, Trumpy Mig-15!) and was pretty much hooked on the look, size and ALL of that wonderful detail you could add to things that just wasnt possible in smaller scales.

Good luck and keep going!

I cleaned up the messy work bench, a little any way. I am fixing the seams on the fuselage, and I also decided to assemble fuel tanks and ordnance

IMGP7546-vi.jpg

I had to do a few rounds of mr surfacer and sanding with the the nose. I just glued on the distinctive G model chin housing. The fit was not very good, and lots of wiggle room, the  locating tabs do not give a positive fit. I see more Mr Surfacer in my future. The air conditioning intakes are installed, but they have sink marks which will require some attention

IMGP7544-vi.jpg

That is all for this installment. Stay tuned for more 

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes!

two weeks since an update.  I have been occupied with maintenance and projects around the house.  But I have finished those tasks, and it is back to the work bench.

Since my last update I have been working on a 1/48th project as well, but the task on the phantom has been to re-scribe some lines on the forward fuselage which were lost to sanding.

IMGP7562-vi.jpg

once that was done to my satisfaction, The three main components were assembled

IMGP7561-vi.jpg

And I was pleasantly surprised to see one of the worst spots on most phantom models was not a problem ... the forward fuselage does not have a big step where it meets the lower wing. There are some gaps, which are easy to fix.

IMGP7563-vi.jpg

Intakes next. then all the parts I do not like so much .. ordnance, under carriage, all the fiddly bits 

The next step will be to build and install the intakes, but first, I decided to pre-paint the fuselage. This area can be hard to paint with the splitter plates installed

IMGP7571-vi.jpg

I also figured the area under the slats would be similar, so I got those too

IMGP7573-vi.jpg

as well as the under side of the slats

IMGP7574-vi.jpg

but only afterwards did I see those ejector pin marks! argh!

and with left over paint I decided to paint the major seams to see if they need more work .. looks pretty good, but I need to do some re-scribing

IMGP7572-vi.jpg

The wing to fuselage joint is just about perfect.  I used Mr. Surfacer which made it so easy.

Thanks for looking

I have been working on this model this weekend and I reached another mile stone, the intakes are on

IMGP7588-vi.jpg

IMGP7589-vi.jpg

I worked with the intakes for quite a while to get them to fit.  Looks like they will still require a bit of sanding and puttying.