WNW Fokker DVII Udet "Du Doch Nicht!!"

petrov27

I am terrible at completing models even for group builds but the WNW Fokker looks to be pretty straightforward without a bunch of complicated rigging so I will give it a go.

So far lots of parts cut off sprues, some paint shot over the interior framing and I am taking a shot at drawing my own decals for it and those are about done.

Edited by petrov27

Hey, sometimes we all are. I think there comes a point in every build, for every modeler when we just need some sort of motivation, as certain parts of certain builds just seem to wear thin, and that's when its toughest to push through to the fun stuff...........weather you think that paint, or decals or even final assembly, those more fun parts of builds almost always happen after a lot of turmoil, monotony, and parts that just plain suck.

When you find something that can push you through those times, you are almost always rewarded

Maybe being in a GB will help push you through that stuff?

:popcorn:

I am taking a shot at drawing my own decals for it and those are about done.

Hi petrov27, I'd be very interested in the process you describe. Would you be able to include photos of the steps involved please? I may be forced to source a decal or two for my current project and if I have to make my own, your experiences may prove valuable.

Cheers.

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I shall try to get some photos up soon as I am rolling right along on the interior bits.

Concerning the decals - I will get pics of what I am doing for the Fokker up today also. Basically I draw the vector art in Corel or Turbocad, print them in black onto clear decal paper to test the fit, then send off to an outside decal maker who can print white and color.

Below is a pic of some decals I did for a Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28 and a SSDIII - I drew the N28 parts, another modeler, Peter_T1958 from the Great War forums supplied the art for the "R" logo in gold and I had them printed by Fireball Modelworks who did a fantastic job:

006-1.jpg

I wish to do this kit in the well known markings for Udet - his "Du Dock Nicht!!" (DDN) marked aircraft. I am sure we will see someone do these decals soon but I enjoy drawing my own so I have put them together. This particular scheme has great nostalgia and memories for me; many years ago I built the very old 1/72 Revell Fokker DVII in this scheme while going to college and living in a tiny apartment. I was extremely proud of that build and the model followed me through many moves over the years before being destroyed (along with about a dozen other built WW1 1/72s) So when WNW released their kit I knew I wanted to do the DDN plane again.

There are a number of different schools of thought on the "real" colors for this aircraft - some like red striped wing, some black striped, some like red fuselage, some like red with black nose. Some feel this is a early OAW Fokker, some say early Fokker built. From all the reading and discussion I researched, near as I can tell there is no proof either way on these things so I guess I will build it to my preference; red striped top wing, fuselage all in red and early Fokker built. That is how my old 1/72 build was done.

I have completed the art for the decals in Corel Draw and I am now trying to find someone to do them in white on decal paper. Below is the test I do with decals printed on my laserprinter - they appear somewhat crappy on the model, but that is just a test so I know they fit and are the correct size.

Udet_DDN_art_zpsf52c5f4c.jpg

001-5_zps7381df99.jpg

003-7_zps6c6a94c9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have completed the cockpit and have closed up the fuselage - feels like a real milestone! I wish my pics had turned out a bit better - I guess i need to get better lighting.

I just love the interior on WNW kits - so many parts and details, pretty complete right out of the box.

Hey - is it possible to edit the subject title of a build log? I would like to add more to mine here.

024_zps7aed4d64.jpg

027_zpscf73b8b3.jpg

Hi Petrov, lovely work on that cockpit. You've created alot of depth with your paintwork

Hey - is it possible to edit the subject title of a build log? I would like to add more to mine here.

If you go back to your first post and edit it using the full editor the title should appear and you can then edit that. HTH

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Guest Peterpools

Super start on the Fokker and can't wait to see the decals and marks on the completed model. :thumbsup:

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: