Trumpy's P-51B times two - Dominic Gentile and Ralph Hofer

Thomas Lund

Possibly radial. But I have to paint the red first and apply white decals. I'm not too sure about the ability of the white decals to not show the red through...

Could you make it work the other way around (red decals over white paint)?

Kev

Ok... I dont like chicken'ing out. So I just had to try to paint those damn chequers.

I found a good way to cut strips of Tamiya tape of a consistent width of 2.3mm. I think that worked out ok.

I painted the area white and applied the first round of strips

006_zps17eba232.jpg

To me this looked as consistent as I could get. So I shot a coat of red paint

009_zpsa527ae3c.jpg

And peeled off the strips before applying the second round. It looks like utter s... What looked consistent was not. Enough variation of the chequer size to make me sure that I could not place the second round and get a good pattern. Also the amount of handling to cut the tape took away some tack, so I apparantly it didn't stay down eveywhere resulting in some bleeding and underspray

114754c6-410f-4e4b-8926-2c14f1d2ccc5_zps

Oh well - I tried. I know I would have been thinking about it every time I looked at if I didn't try. Off to strip this and restore the OD now... After that I need to mix a red to match the decals

"It Is Better To Try And Fail Than Not Try At All"

Wow; Talk about wrapping modeling and one of life's most valuable lessons into one beautiful package :bow: :bow: !

Have you tried an auto painting masking tape? An example:

Scotch® Performance Green Masking Tape 233+, 6 mm width (.24 inches), 26344

26344b.jpg

BTW; Awesome build :thumbsup: !

Beautiful plane; Beautiful scheme!

Thanks Showtime. I have a new Idea that I want to try out, but dont hold your breath - I'm not the quickest builder :-)

Did you ever build Showtime 100 ? I always wanted to...

Not yet.

I'm planning a hanging diorama of a 1/32nd scale Tamiya F-4J (Showtime 100) in the middle of a vertical rolling scissors with a 1/144th scale Minicraft Mig-17 (Gomer) . Here's a painting Lou Drendal did that inspired me:

drendel_cunnighman_tomb.jpg

That took some doing, shame about the results though. :( You should seal the tape seams next time with some varnish.. that should prevent it from leaking at least.

I think it was the reduced tack and the many ups and downs of the top strips that did it. Sealing would help, but what I'm thinking now should avoid that

Tom,

For what it's worth; it's been my experience that cutting individual squares and laying them out individually seems to work best. Attempting to run a piece of tape over another piece leaves too many gaps.

I would suggest you spray the area white. Once dry, apply the tape squares in the appropriate positions. Once the squares are in place and rubbed down for good contact, lightly over spray the area with light gray primer. When doing this, keep you brush square to the the surface to prevent spray from creeping under the edges because the edges are being hit from the side with the paint flow rather than from straight on.

This has a dual purpose. First: it helps to seal the tap squares. Second: the white undercoat will cause the red to come out the wrong color red unless you really put a very heavy coat of red on. In using a very heavy coat of red, you again, run the risk of paint getting under the masking.

Using individual squares takes a bit more time and focus, but the end result is worth it. Just my opinion ....

Best

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Geoff that seems like good advice. I plan to put on one large piece of tape and then mark up the cutting lines and cut the squares in place - lightly with a new blade. It works on a piece of scrap plastic, just tried. I will first seal with white because of the cuts, but the I'll follow your advice with the light grey for the reason you mention. Good call

Geoff that seems like good advice. I plan to put on one large piece of tape and then mark up the cutting lines and cut the squares in place - lightly with a new blade. It works on a piece of scrap plastic, just tried. I will first seal with white because of the cuts, but the I'll follow your advice with the light grey for the reason you mention. Good call

Tom,

Just make sure you stay square to the surface. If you shoot on an angle, paint might keep under the tape.

Post picks when you're done. Gentile's Mustang has long been a favorite of mine.

Good luck

Ok - second go of the chequers. I had another idea of how to do it. Forgive me for the many pictures, but I feel them necessary to show how I did it.

First, after stripping the old attempt, a new coat of white. This time I used gloss white which was probably better for adhesion of the masking tape and should result in sharper chequers.

079s_zps0e6c2940.jpg

I measured the width of the exhaust opening and divided that by 14 (no of chequers lengthwise). I created a grid with that spacing in a CAD program - extending the lines so it would be easier to align a ruler accurately - and printed it in 1:1. A check with calipers showed that it was accurate enough. I put a piece of baking paper over the paper and put a piece of broad tamiya tape over it. While on the grid I cut the short lengths and marked the long cuts.

084s_zps921aaa6f.jpg

The top line was used to align along the edge of the exhause opening

089s_zps0fc04ba7.jpg

Then using a flexible ruler I cut the length wise cuts

093s_zpsf50018e6.jpg

And the chequers were removed. Looking at pictures of the real plane it seems that the top aft checquer was white, so the others were removed.

097s_zps960e3d2e.jpg

Then a thin coat of white, followed by a coat of light grey (RLM 02 acutally) and then two light mist coats of red.

100s_zps0b20dbb8.jpg

And then - puls racing - remove the mask

102s_zpsdf2be08c.jpg

Not perfect but I'm happy. Good enough for government work. I'll let it dry some more and polish it a little to get rid of the ridges.

And then the other side...

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Way to go. The checkers look great. Glad you stuck with it as the hard work was well worth it.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn: